• The KillerFrogs

Please share the experience with us

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Prior to the game we had a few shots with my son's close friend. He told us he had upgraded his family tickets to the front row BEHIND THE MICHIGAN BENCH. He was wearing a cowboy hat. He showed us the cigar he was bringing into the game to troll the Michigan fans when we won.

Yes, he is the guy they showed on TV a lot. That evening he texted us a link to where a Michigan newspaper had his picture, with the stogie, hat and saying goodbye to Michigan. This should get him a lifetime achievement award.

11157894-1db1-4d5b-b883-5a996ff9e113-2022-1231-dm-um-tcu01952.jpg

Sand Frog

Sorry. Late to the party on this. I won't go into all the details, but after the selection show I just couldn't get all our family logistics worked out to make the Fiesta Bowl. I threw up my hands and decided I would watch at home.

Wednesday, December 29th, my parents decided they are leaving the next morning traveling home and want to take the kids for the week since they are out of school. Both my wife appointments on Friday the 30th and Monday the 2nd are canceled. I don't have work on that Friday nor Monday as well. As this point, I'm kicking myself for not buying tickets and booking flights that the perfect storm allowing me to attend the game would happen.

Thursday, December 29th, my phone dings with a text message from a former teammate around 10AM.

Hey man! I know it's last minute, but my dad is sick and can't make the game. I have one ticket on the 50 yard line behind the TCU bench 15 rows up for you if you want it!"

At 2PM the wife and I are on the road headed to Phoenix. We drove that afternoon/night to Pecos, TX and grabbed a room. Got up Friday morning and pulled into Phoenix around 4PM.

Got the stadium area around 10:30 on Saturday. Meet up with friends at Westgate I believe for drinks/lunch and then tailgated with old friends/teammates in the parking lot next to the stadium. Watched one of the most epic Frog wins I can remember. Returned to said tailgate after the awards ceremony for copious amounts of alcohol and celebration. Walked back over to the shopping/eating area (Westgate) we are at earlier that day to bring in the New Year with other friends once the tailgate ended. From there it gets a little fuzzy. :p

Sunday the first, my wife and I had planned on exploring Phoenix once we were up, moving, and nursed hangovers. It rained almost the entire day, so we didn't get to really explore like we wanted.

Monday the second we loaded up in the truck at 4:15AM Phoenix time for our drive back to DFW. We pulled into the driveway around 9 or 9:30PM DFW time.

We logged 2164.7 miles door to door and 32:16 hours in the truck driving. Would I do it again? HELLLLLLLL YES! However, I'm flying to LA for the National Championship game vs road tripping.

I'll try to post some pics later.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As long as you don't break it out until the clock hits 00:00, the gods will allow it.
I packed The Shirt of Highly Unlikely Victory (A Sun Bowl vintage t-shirt reading "How Bout Them Frogs!"), and the Shirt of Probable Crushing Defeat (A t-shirt from Modern Drunkard Magazine picturing a flaming biplane with a pilot saluting him with a cocktail: "The League of Magnificent [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ]").

My wife finally made me take off the first shirt on Tuesday. It was getting a little ripe...

Spike

Surprisingly little interaction with their fans. My buddy was aTCU alum but lived in Michigan for 10 years so he struck up a few conversations but most seemed like they didn't want to be there. Maybe they didn't think we were worthy but it's the playoffs, but should have been happy for the week off. They weren't rude but just kind of subdued. Even moreso after the game. Just kind of bizarre

Outback Frog

Surprisingly little interaction with their fans. My buddy was aTCU alum but lived in Michigan for 10 years so he struck up a few conversations but most seemed like they didn't want to be there. Maybe they didn't think we were worthy but it's the playoffs, but should have been happy for the week off. They weren't rude but just kind of subdued. Even moreso after the game. Just kind of bizarre
Good take. My impression was they seemed very confident, but not boisterous at all. The TCU fan base overwhelmingly seemed more fired up for the game than Michigan fans. I did talk to a few of their fans going through security at the stadium that couldn't have been nicer. Turns out their son is the TE coach for Iowa State and seemed to have a ton of respect for TCU. We had a few MIchigan fans sitting in front of us that cheered like you would expect at a game. Afterwards, I felt like the MIchigan fans had the same look on their faces and no comment, much like we did after the Big XII Championship.

Sand Frog

Guess my pictures are too large to load. I’m too lazy to resize them. Sorry!

I had the same impression above of the Michigan fans. First time I can ever remember not getting some friendly heckling from the other fan base.