• The KillerFrogs

Pitching lineup

maxmtex

It seems that Purke and Wink are good to go (good enough, anyway), but Max is still working on it. According to frog13, Max is throwing today and they're going to make a decision on if he can go based on how well he does.

Steven threw to eight hitters today (our batting order less Featherston & Weik, with Witte hitting twice). Got all eight, on 3 grounders, 4 popups (one to the outfield) and one K. Was throwing mid-80's, so velocity still lower than normal (but higher than Friday's 81-84). Very encouraging. Says he has a bit more "in the tank", but so do I...

He'll throw if needed, but I'd love to see Mitchell go 7, Wink go 7 and Purke go 5-6. With our bullpen, that might just get it done (provided we score a few!)

Burner1

Tier 1
If we have a pitcher that is capable of starting Friday and coming back Monday, that's who I'd use. I fully expect to have to go through the losing bracket again. This team doesn't do anything the easy way.

I am shocked purke is not going against oru and the lefties. I really am surprised. Miller and Mitchell need to have the weekend of their lives. I think they are ready.

Houston Frog

Purke is not our ace, ludicrous to say so. He has averaged 4.7 innings per start....

Winkler has a lower ERA, has pitched 40 more innings in hist starts at 7 1/3 innings average with a better strikeout to ball ratio. Not even close on this one.

Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone is saying Purke had a better year statistically than Winkler. Winkler was lights out all year, and Purke was struggling with injuries.

That's all in the past though, and now it's all about who's healthy (and I'm not sure any of us regular fans know the answer to that).

cdsfrog

Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone is saying Purke had a better year statistically than Winkler. Winkler was lights out all year, and Purke was struggling with injuries.

That's all in the past though, and now it's all about who's healthy (and I'm not sure any of us regular fans know the answer to that).

Does Purke on control pitch counts of 45 pitches lead you to believe he is fully rested?

Some on the board think Purke is the ace. Sorry but I want the team leader pitching the most important games, not the one whose is going to earn the most in the major leagues.

illini_frog

I can appreciate Schlossnagle's decision to go with Mitchell in the first game. He's as steady as anybody has been for us, appears to be fully healthy, and can definitely get the W, he's the lowest-risk guy to throw for game 1, and I can appreciate that.

Pharm Frog

It is my uneasy feeling that starting Mitchell against ORU is more a decision of necessity than one of strategy. I hope I'm wrong..... And for what its worth, I think that Mitchell can and will get the job done.

Frogs1983

So you think Purke is our "ace" at this point? To be honest, I have no idea what to expect from any pitcher. Everyone has been getting rested and being held back on pitch counts, etc.... I don't know what any of them are capable of

Based on this season's performances,I'll take Winkler over Purke for a "must win" game.

cdsfrog

Based on this season's performances,I'll take Winkler over Purke for a "must win" game.

+1

Purke's stuff may be more dominating but he lacks the control Winkler has.

Plus 4 2/3rds innings average <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,7 1/3rds innings average per start

cdsfrog

No, Oral Roberts used their #7 pitcher Brad Fisher

Their 2 best pitchers are

[font="Verdana][size="1"][font="Verdana][size="1"]
Player era w-l app gs cg sho sv ip h r er bb so 2b 3b hr b/avg wp hp bk sfa sha​
33 Drew Bowen 1.96 5-2 12 11 3 1/1 0 59.2 42 16 13 25 52 8 1 1 . 2 0 0 4 6 0 3 1​
13 Alex Gonzalez 2.61 8-5 17 16 5 1/1 0 103.1 85 41 30 40 99 13 0 4 . 2 2 8 8 7 0 1 8

[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Pharm Frog

Steven threw to eight hitters today (our batting order less Featherston & Weik, with Witte hitting twice). Got all eight, on 3 grounders, 4 popups (one to the outfield) and one K. Was throwing mid-80's, so velocity still lower than normal (but higher than Friday's 81-84). Very encouraging. Says he has a bit more "in the tank", but so do I...

He'll throw if needed, but I'd love to see Mitchell go 7, Wink go 7 and Purke go 5-6. With our bullpen, that might just get it done (provided we score a few!)

Based on the fact that he threw a simulated no-no of eight Frog hitters, I'm guessing that he threw exclusively change-ups and breakers making the mid-80's velocity quite understandable. :dry:

As for very encouraging....not so much is we look at it from an offensive perspective. Four pop-up's (only one of which to the outfield)... Hope they get that out of their system pretty quick......