• The KillerFrogs

Peterson whines about Football tragedy....... what's a tragedy and travesty

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Is that joke of a field!

Boise State players will no longer sport their all-blue uniforms for conference games on Bronco Stadium's iconic blue turf, the result of a concession school officials say they made last year as part of the team's entrance into the Mountain West Conference.

Other coaches in the Mountain West, Boise State's new league, felt that the blue uniforms on a blue field gave the Broncos a competitive advantage.

League Commissioner Craig Thompson said Tuesday during the league meeting that coaches believe Boise State gets a competitive edge when players wear blue helmets, jerseys and pants at home.

The Broncos have worn all blue at home for several years and built a 77-2 record and a 32-game winning streak on their home turf since 1999.

Coach Chris Petersen said his team intends to wear the signature uniforms for nonconference games against Tulsa and Nevada, but he finds the restriction for league games silly and an erosion of the team's identity.

"It's a tragedy of college football," Petersen told The Idaho Statesman. "I thought it was ridiculous. That's our colors. That's who we are. That's who our fans have wanted us to be since I've been at Boise State. That's what it's been through and through."

Petersen also noted the rule doesn't apply to schools that wear all green uniforms and play on green turf or natural grass, like Colorado State or Hawaii.

The Broncos have other fashion options for home games — gray, orange or white jerseys and white pants. Team officials will have to apply for an NCAA waiver if they opt to don white jerseys at home.

"We have some combinations, and we'll have to use them," Petersen said.

Boise State's blue advantage has never been scientifically proven. But opposing coaches and players for years have complained about difficulties watching game film and tracking nuances in Boise State's pre-snap movements. Petersen argues the use of high-definition cameras and film has remedied any visual challenges, but the league's members and commissioner aren't buying it.

"What we heard from our coaches is 'a competitive advantage.' It's as simple as that," Thompson said.

Broncos players have always enjoyed the all-blue uniforms and smirked when asked if it gives the team an edge. But ultimately, players such as safety George Iloka understand clothes don't make winners.

asleep003

Peterson made no complaints when Craig Thompson changed TCU's home game to an away game(Boise supposed to take over Utah's conference schedule)... giving Boise the advantage in a potential MWC championship showdown or a better shot at a BCS Bowl opportunity... Hummmm. Thompson is just catering to the MWC common good.

Cheers !

Peterson made no complaints when Craig Thompson changed TCU's home game to an away game(Boise supposed to take over Utah's conference schedule)... giving Boise the advantage in a potential WAC championship showdown or a better shot at a BCS Bowl opportunity... Hummmm. Thompson is just catering to the MWC common good.

Cheers !

WAC Championship? :huh:

It ain't a tragedy, but I also think the MWC is being a bit silly too. Boise's competitive advantage at home is that they're darn good and few teams who are any good want any part of playing them up there. Fans, I suspect, overrate the visual aspect because they view the game from above the field looking down. The players on the field don't have the field in the background, which is obvious if you look at pictures of Boise games taken at field level:

Perretta.jpg

0829kellenmoore.jpg

8a7d1392-b43b-11de-a4a6-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

SnoSki

The difference between Boise and green schools on natural grass is that natural grass doesn't grow in with the same exact hex color as the uniforms. It's not a huge advantage that Boise has but I could conceivably see how it would affect peripheral vision.

weklfrog

Boise agreed to the restriction when they joined the MWC. They could have stayed in the WAC if it is that important to them. To whine about it now is disingenious.

It ain't a tragedy, but I also think the MWC is being a bit silly too. Boise's competitive advantage at home is that they're darn good and few teams who are any good want any part of playing them up there. Fans, I suspect, overrate the visual aspect because they view the game from above the field looking down. The players on the field don't have the field in the background, which is obvious if you look at pictures of Boise games taken at field level:

I tend to agree. However, those photos are taken with a telephoto lens of 300mm or more which compresses the objects in the background and removes all of the space in the foreground. A human sees things through about a 35mm to 45mm camera lens equivalent, so those photos are compressing things nearly 10X when compared to the human eye. Additionally, you'll notice that everything in the background is blurred in those photos as a result of using wide open apertures. This separates the subject from the background in a way that our eyes can't replicate.

I imagine it gets a little difficult for the opposing QBs to pick up their defenders downfield given all of the blue space in between them and where the receivers are running -- because our eyes see things with a wider angle, we would see a whole lot of blue. Whether or not it amounts to a competitive advantage is up for debate. Even though they color-matched their uniforms to the turf, light, especially artificial lights at night, reflect differently off of varying materials.

Can someone in the Football office contact our AD and Coach Patterson. I really want them to call a press release and agree to allow Boise to Wear any uniform color they want when we come to win this year. I don't want any excuses let them wear blue for TCU. I think it would be the right thing to do right now. GO FROGS!!!!!!!!!!

I tend to agree. However, those photos are taken with a telephoto lens of 300mm or more which compresses the objects in the background and removes all of the space in the foreground. A human sees things through about a 35mm to 45mm camera lens equivalent, so those photos are compressing things nearly 10X when compared to the human eye. Additionally, you'll notice that everything in the background is blurred in those photos as a result of using wide open apertures. This separates the subject from the background in a way that our eyes can't replicate.

I imagine it gets a little difficult for the opposing QBs to pick up their defenders downfield given all of the blue space in between them and where the receivers are running -- because our eyes see things with a wider angle, we would see a whole lot of blue. Whether or not it amounts to a competitive advantage is up for debate. Even though they color-matched their uniforms to the turf, light, especially artificial lights at night, reflect differently off of varying materials.

I'll agree that the impact of the turf thing probably increases as you look further down the field, as the objects you are looking for appear smaller. But it doesn't change the fact that in the near field, where all your blocking and tackling and most of your passes are thrown, the player in the foreground is going to be mostly in front of a background of stadium concrete, whatever fans are wearing in the stands (if Boise fans were smart, they'd stop wearing so much orange), and other players.

Maybe there's some underlying psychological effect (ala the Hayden Fry pink locker room bit) but I really don't think there is a major optical effect that would work to Boise's benefit ...

Austintxfrog94

It was my understanding that there would be no math

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
yeah i always forget that teams that only play a couple of hard games a year seem to ignore that silly thing called sos :wacko:

As opposed to forgetting that sos is only relevant if you're just squeeking by.....kinda like when Tech is barely beating Baylor while we're kicking their arse. Counts the same in SOS, but reality's a bit different.

roddog

Banned
With the possible exception of 2008, and even then it's probably even, what year in the last 5 would Boise have not beaten Tech's arse had they played?

next year when you join the bcs and finally get to play some respectable teams week in and out you will realize that there is no need to play make believe any more :biggrin: