• The KillerFrogs

Perhaps TCU Fans Can Clarify

BigPonyFan

JJ's comment was minor. It was mor JJ and his staff leading your players and fans in a big SMU,SMU,SMU chant/shoutfest during our post game alma mater. GP shows great deference to every school for theirs. There you go. JJ could have told them to STFU but didn't. GP would have.

You think JJ is Mr. Class because he shows no emotion. GP IS class because he gets emotional about what he cares for and isn't afraid of the mic to express it.

The smu people on the field doing the chant during our alma mater simply reinforces the "Hilltop Doosh Farm" moniker.

Very fair comments. When you're the visitor you should have respect for their house. I wasn't able to attend so I can't really comment, but it does sound stupid on SMU's part.

As far as JJ, I wouldn't label him with shomething like "classy" I would say he's professional, which can be both good and bad. SMU fans would love to see a little more emotion out of him, but he's all business all the time.

txfrog87

I thought Patterson didn't like June Jones from back in the Hawaii days. As I recall, Jones used to say Patterson was coaching players to do illegal chop blocks and other things defensively.

joefrog91

IIRC, Jones said it wasn't hard to prepare for TCU because TCU hasn't changed. This implies TCU is predictable and it was an easy win. I would have been insulted too.

Ponydawg

From the DMN:
"Jones had made references to TCU believing in its system and not changing much (nothing I heard, by the way, that was ever meant as anything but a compliment. Jones said after the game that SMU wants to be like TCU. Think something maybe was misconstrued here).

Asked after the game about TCU, Jones said: "Gary's a good man. He's a good guy. We want to be like this. We want a stadium like this...they made that decision [to commit to football] 10, 14 years ago when he came. I think this will really help us get some of the things that we need done.""

Jones sounds like a real a-hole here.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/patterson-lashes-out-at-smu.html

Nick Danger

Whatever it was that set Patterson off, the Ponies better get it figured out and try and make amends before the next Big East Expansion Committee meeting! If Patterson is serious, interest in having SMU join the Big East will dissipate faster than a fart in a hurricane. :unsure:

Frogs1983

I suspect there was something negative in the Dallas Morning News.

But, of course, the DMN has become subscription-based and thus entirely irrelevant. So, I doubt anybody knows other than those who actually read the physical paper.

Only thing I recall reading in the DMN Sunday from Jones was him saying something along the line of "We beat TCU,they were number 20,now we should take their spot in the rankings".I think they actually wound up getting like 5 votes?

SoonerBredCD

From the DMN:
[font="Arial][size="2"]"Jones had made references to TCU believing in its system and not changing much (nothing I heard, by the way, that was ever meant as anything but a compliment. Jones said after the game that SMU wants to be like TCU. Think something maybe was misconstrued here).[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Asked after the game about TCU, Jones said: "Gary's a good man. He's a good guy. We want to be like this. We want a stadium like this...they made that decision [to commit to football] 10, 14 years ago when he came. I think this will really help us get some of the things that we need done.""[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]Jones sounds like a real a-hole here.[/size][/font]
[font="Arial] [/font]
[font="Arial][size="2"]http://collegesports...out-at-smu.html[/size][/font]

If June Jones really said these complimentary things about Patterson and TCU after the game on Saturday, then Patterson was definitely out of line. A black eye for TCU, IMO.

tsmiller3

Fatterson has ZERO class. Seriously, what kind of a man behaves like this?

Great, thanks for your opinion. You can leave now.

Also, if June Jones didn't sport XXL Tommy Bahamas, he would look like a fat a**. As it is, his gut sticks out further than Pattersons

Deep Purple

From the athletic department to increases in enrollment can be attributed to the football teams success.
A half-truth. TCU enrollments were consistently increasing before the recent peak in football success. We've seen record application rates for 9 of the last 10 years. Given that athletics are a major marketing tool for the university, football success has certainly contributed substantially to that -- but that's a far cry from saying it's all "attributed to the football teams success."

Frogs1983

Great, thanks for your opinion. You can leave now.

Also, if June Jones didn't sport XXL Tommy Bahamas, he would look like a fat a**. As it is, his gut sticks out further than Pattersons

I noticed that on TV Saturday. To steal an old line from Moe Howard,'He has TB,two bellies!"

Deep Purple

Wisky will tell you the 4-2-5 works just fine.
Not only that, it's hard to understand how others have "figured out" our 4-2-5 when, so far this season, our young, green players haven't yet executed the TCU version of the 4-2-5. Simply lining up in a 4-2-5 formation isn't the same thing as "playing the 4-2-5."

Houston Frog

If June Jones really said these complimentary things about Patterson and TCU after the game on Saturday, then Patterson was definitely out of line. A black eye for TCU, IMO.

Jesus, give Patterson some credit here. Do you really think that "A Boy Named June" was only complimentary of TCU, and Patterson just went out of his way to rant about him?

Patterson is a level headed guy, he's not just gonna go off on another coach who went out of his way to compliment us. My guess is CGP knows something you don't.

It annoys me when people on the outside (with little to no actual knowledge of a situation) judge people on the inside for the decisions they make.

And yes, I realized you qualified your statement with "if"

cdsfrog

A half-truth. TCU enrollments were consistently increasing before the recent peak in football success. We've seen record application rates for 9 of the last 10 years. Given that athletics are a major marketing tool for the university, football success has certainly contributed substantially to that -- but that's a far cry from saying it's all "attributed to the football teams success."

when was the last time you saw the increase like we did after the rose bowl?

Just curious :biggrin:

Deep Purple

when was the last time you saw the increase like we did after the rose bowl?

Just curious :biggrin:
Never. When was the last time you responded to the whole statement instead of just half of it? I mean, did you miss this part?

Given that athletics are a major marketing tool for the university, football success has certainly contributed substantially to that -- but that's a far cry from saying it's all "attributed to the football teams success."
Just curious. :biggrin:

cdsfrog

Never. When was the last time you responded to the whole statement instead of just half of it? I mean, did you miss this part?

Given that athletics are a major marketing tool for the university, football success has certainly contributed substantially to that -- but that's a far cry from saying it's all "attributed to the football teams success."
Just curious. :biggrin:

oh don't ruin my fun, I was just being a [ Finebaum ].

I read the whole statement, I just purposely ignored part of it :biggrin: