• The KillerFrogs

Patterson’s exodus and what could have been…

Frogs1983

So was Dykes in charge when Patterson had him as a special advisor? Seemed like that relationship worked ok. Good grief. Maybe it’s this board or just me being naive to the coaching world, but healthy leadership changes and transitions of power don’t always have to be so adversarial. I was just imagining a world where Gary’s presence and defensive wisdom could still be of value this program.
It doesn't have to be "adversarial ". Gary decided to make it that way when he got his feathers ruffled.

goldenfrog

Disagree. Founders and CEOs of companies that split amicably often sit on boards as advisors. I’m not saying he would be coaching the defense, but I think it’s insane to think that any DC in the country wouldn’t be interested in Gary’s input.

If Patterson had worked with administration for a healthy transition of leadership rather than severing ties, I think he still could be an asset to this program and, yes, it would have added to his legacy in my book. There is a big difference between a firing and a retiring.
I actually don’t think the current staff is all that. interested in his input.

goldenfrog

So was Dykes in charge when Patterson had him as a special advisor? Seemed like that relationship worked ok. Good grief. Maybe it’s this board or just me being naive to the coaching world, but healthy leadership changes and transitions of power don’t always have to be so adversarial. I was just imagining a world where Gary’s presence and defensive wisdom could still be of value this program.
I think you are being a little naive. It’s not the board.

Moose Stuff

Can you imagine if the split was more amicable and GP was currently helping our defense prepare for Michigan? Man that would have been awesome. This season would have added to his legacy. He could even take partial credit for adding a level on “the pyramid.”

Good life lesson on the importance of leaving well and not burning bridges. Such a missed opportunity.
It would have sucked and we would have gotten our asses kicked. Gary is a dinosaur.

Spike

Sometimes a clean break, a change in direction, and in Gary's case, a change in scenery are exactly what is needed. It doesn't mean GP did a bad job here or is a bad person, just time for a clean break for both parties. It doesn't mean you don't wish him well (as much as you can someone in burnt orange).

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Can you imagine if the split was more amicable and GP was currently helping our defense prepare for Michigan? Man that would have been awesome. This season would have added to his legacy. He could even take partial credit for adding a level on “the pyramid.”

Good life lesson on the importance of leaving well and not burning bridges. Such a missed opportunity.

????????????????????????????

Are you on hashish?!

Patterson's defenses got torched for the last 3-5 years. And no way a Patterson defense holds Texas to NO Offensive TD's!!!!

While TCU's defense hasn't been graded high, they've been stout when they needed to be. I'll take Gillespie!!!
Go lie down.............................. AND SLEEP OFF THE BOOZE

HFrawg

His legacy is written. We all need to move on. Gary is what he is. He is the coach that brought us to BCS games, the XII and a lot of fun games and seasons.

But he couldn’t adapt to the Portal and NIL, couldn’t bring new coaches (I’ll give him the Meacham/Cumbie years), didn’t believe in nutrition, couldn’t adapt to S&C innovation. He was stuck. All said, he’ll be remembered fondly by me and my family for so many fun games and seasons and that’s how I want to remember him.

It’s a new dawn for this program. If you think this season is a once in a lifetime time thing, think again. We are arriving to the top but unlike years past, we have staying power. It’s going to be fun and it’s just getting going.

Last edited: