• The KillerFrogs

pat forde's article on iowa eliminating four sports

Eight

sister who is an iowa alum sent me a link to forde's article.

the one point i find interesting is this one:

"Digest these numbers from Iowa’s 2018–19 Department of Education filing: men’s gymnastics rang up a paltry $183,481 in what the DOE terms "game-day" operating expenses; men’s swimming was $263,357; women’s swimming was $244,141; and men’s tennis was $217,608. Combined total: just under $900,000.

Now remember this: Iowa paid its alleged racist bully of a football strength coach $1.1 million in a separation agreement earlier this summer. Chris Doyle, described by a host of former Hawkeyes as the worst kind of coaching meathead, got more money to go away than it cost for game-day operations for the four cut sports combined. (Total budgetary outlay for the four sports in 2019 was nearly $4.9 million.)

After creating nightmarish negative publicity for Iowa football, Doyle’s separation hush money was the equivalent of 15 months’ pay. He had been the highest-paid strength coach in the country at $800,000 per year. Meanwhile, Iowa swimmers were prepared to pay for their own suits and goggles this swim season."

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/08/25/iowa-cuts-sports-swimming-gymnastics-tennis

trying to decide if forde hates what he covers, is being a social justice warrior, or has a hard on for the ad at iowa.

i think ferentz is overrated as a coach, but i could be way wrong, do think we are pushing to a tipping point on college athletics and i don't think the athletes, the coaches, the presidents, and fans are like where this train is headed in the near future.

Moose Stuff

sister who is an iowa alum sent me a link to forde's article.

the one point i find interesting is this one:

"Digest these numbers from Iowa’s 2018–19 Department of Education filing: men’s gymnastics rang up a paltry $183,481 in what the DOE terms "game-day" operating expenses; men’s swimming was $263,357; women’s swimming was $244,141; and men’s tennis was $217,608. Combined total: just under $900,000.

Now remember this: Iowa paid its alleged racist bully of a football strength coach $1.1 million in a separation agreement earlier this summer. Chris Doyle, described by a host of former Hawkeyes as the worst kind of coaching meathead, got more money to go away than it cost for game-day operations for the four cut sports combined. (Total budgetary outlay for the four sports in 2019 was nearly $4.9 million.)

After creating nightmarish negative publicity for Iowa football, Doyle’s separation hush money was the equivalent of 15 months’ pay. He had been the highest-paid strength coach in the country at $800,000 per year. Meanwhile, Iowa swimmers were prepared to pay for their own suits and goggles this swim season."

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/08/25/iowa-cuts-sports-swimming-gymnastics-tennis

trying to decide if forde hates what he covers, is being a social justice warrior, or has a hard on for the ad at iowa.

i think ferentz is overrated as a coach, but i could be way wrong, do think we are pushing to a tipping point on college athletics and i don't think the athletes, the coaches, the presidents, and fans are like where this train is headed in the near future.

Forde and others like him just want something to complain about and in the absence of that they'll happily create something. Best as I can tell people like him want pro and college sports to shut down and for the only people to actually be negatively impacted by it to be the schools and the owners.

Eight

Forde and others like him just want something to complain about and in the absence of that they'll happily create something. Best as I can tell people like him want pro and college sports to shut down and for the only people to actually be negatively impacted by it to be the schools and the owners.

this is the part i don't understand, do he and others truly hate what they do that much that they hope for its disruption? are they so miserable and so unfulfilled they want others to be in pain as well?

jake102

He just doesn't want to be the bad guy. He's been calling for sports to be cancelled for a while now, and now that some have been, and the obvious consequences are being realized, he doesn't want that to come back at him.

BABYFACE

He just doesn't want to be the bad guy. He's been calling for sports to be cancelled for a while now, and now that some have been, and the obvious consequences are being realized, he doesn't want that to come back at him.

My counter to this is, who made him supreme being and the all knowing? I tired of people that think they what’s better for other people.

He can disagree, but not to crusade like him and few others have to done. It suggests that they are enlightened and everyone else that feels differently is an idiot.

Moose Stuff

Yeah, he wants sports to be cancelled but somehow for nothing bad to happen because of it. It's the height of ignorance. You stop the money flowing and someone is gonna suffer the consequences. Yeah, the people at the top are gonna take some losses but they didn't get rich by being stupid and there's only so much they're gonna take until it starts trickling down onto those beneath them. Pat seems to think that's somehow avoidable. Or maybe it's worse than that and he actually prefers it this way so he can pretend to be outraged about it. SMFH.

BABYFACE

Yeah, he wants sports to be cancelled but somehow for nothing bad to happen because of it. It's the height of ignorance. You stop the money flowing and someone is gonna suffer the consequences. Yeah, the people at the top are gonna take some losses but they didn't get rich by being stupid and there's only so much they're gonna take until it starts trickling down onto those beneath them. Pat seems to think that's somehow avoidable. SMFH.

Yep, there are many that think this way. They fail to grasp the concept that there is a reaction for every action.

Eight

Yeah, he wants sports to be cancelled but somehow for nothing bad to happen because of it. It's the height of ignorance. You stop the money flowing and someone is gonna suffer the consequences. Yeah, the people at the top are gonna take some losses but they didn't get rich by being stupid and there's only so much they're gonna take until it starts trickling down onto those beneath them. Pat seems to think that's somehow avoidable. Or maybe it's worse than that and he actually prefers it this way so he can pretend to be outraged about it. SMFH.

reminds me of the people who believe that if biden is elected the corporations and wealthy will "start paying their share" of taxes

our youngest for several weeks has been provided on a regular basis talking points and plans of action for clients on changes they need to make in advance of potential changes in the tax code

there is the theoretical world and the real world. pat and others like him live in the what if world

Last edited:

HG73

reminds me of the people who believe that if biden is elected the corporations and wealthy will "start paying their share" of taxes

our youngest from several weeks has been provided on a regular basis talking points and plans of action for clients on changes they need to make in advance of potential changes in the tax code

there is the theoretical world and the real world. pat and others like him live in the what if world
Corporations and the wealthy will just leave for a better tax situation. Along with the jobs.

Mean Purple

I think you have a good view of it.

He took some public shots at Texas and Florida (the states, not schools) trying to back his position. The next day it was discovered that he positivity rate he was snidely referencing as incorrect and was lower. Danny Kannel has enjoyed pointing out the bad position Forde took.

Mean Purple

Ath. departments are the front porch for universities. The academic world hates it, but they love the money.
But I don't think they really thought too much about the money that also funds the other sports.

Sad for those kids who worked hard in those sports that will get cut as schools around the country.

Mean Purple

There are many many folks in big 10 country who face some serious financial hardships now that football is cut for the year.

jake102

Pat Forde is a beating on Twitter. He’s become an arrogant, self-righteous jackass. And he’s got a lot of fellow travelers among his sports journalist peers who seem to want to say “I told you so!” even if what they are telling us spells doom for the sports they cover.

Covid has brought out the worst in sports journalism.

That’s because COVID has given them the chance to not actually cover sports but dive into political journalism with a cover

MAcFroggy

Forde children are elite swimmers. His daughter is/was a swimmer at Stanford and son is a swimmer at mizzou (I think).

Sucks that those people are losing their scholarships and sports, but the department is out 10s of millions of dollars. A million dollars saved is a million dollars saved.