• The KillerFrogs

PAC 12 seriously considering 20 team PAC 20 w 4 “PODS”

SuperTFrog

Number being thrown at APPLE is 5 Billion and APPLE still interested and not backing away from table after hearing that huge number. But they want streaming coverage over much more of the country (by taking Rump Big 12) if 5 Billion is the number.

I’m not smart enough to know how much money per team that would be and I don’t know length of contract being tossed at APPLE but I think it’s same length as one they have now.

And........USC is NOT excited at all about leaving PAC - contrary to a lot of reports. Travel to Big 10 schools would be a nightmare for USC.

Most of you NINNYs don’t understand that travel is never really s problem for football !!

When travel is mentioned some of you folks say “IT AINT A PROBLEM CUZ TEAMS DONT TRAVEL COMMERCIAL THEY USE CHARTERS SO TRAVEL AINT A PROBLEM !!

You geniuses forget that girls volleyball, basketball, soccer, men’s soccer and basketball, swimming teams - ALL HAVE TO FLY COMMRRCIAL AND THATS A BIG BIG PROBLEM WHEN COLLEGE KIDS DONT HAVE 3 DAYS TO MAKE 4 CONNECTING FLIGHT STOPS TO TRAVEL ON SOME PROPELLER PLANE TO BUMMMPHHARRT PENNSYLVANNIA (Big 10) OR SHIITTTSVILLE MISSISSIPPI (SEC) FOR A MID-WEEK VOLLEYBALL GAME.

Travel to MidWest (for games with Rump Big12 teams) isn’t much different from current travel to COLO for games - but clear across the friggin country (Big 10 - Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St, etc)
or
(SEC - SCarolina, Florida, Georgia, etc).....
......would be BIG BIG travel problems for any PAC team and USC ain’t thrilled at all at that prospect !!

And is why the PAC20 Super Conf is gaining traction with PAC members.

Possibly a marketing alliance first and then merger within 12 months max - because PAC TV (and streaming) rights deal will be renegotiated in 2024 and PAC has to make a big move prior to that because they are in last place - revenue wise and are getting left behind by other Conferences.

PAC Commish has to make a move soon or many bad things are gonna happen to PAC and he knows that
I support any really long post that mixes in tons of capitalized words. If you capitalize almost an entire paragraph, I’M ALL IN!

OmniscienceFrog

What in tarnations is a travel buddy, anyway? Are we going to swing by Lubbock on our way to Tempe even though Tech is headed to Corvallis? I’ve never understood this concept beyond the days of bus travel.
Ask a PAC fan, they invented it. It's mostly just a basketball thing anyway.

Frozen Frog

I don't see the Pac taking WV. The travel just isn't feasible. I also don't see the Big Ten going after the California schools. I think 2 schools that could fit in the western Big Ten would be nice so the Indiana schools could be in the same division. I think going to the East is also an option. Again travel would be a nightmare. As far as the Pac is concerned I don't see them taking Baylor. I think UCLA and Cal would have some issues with playing them from a political side. I know college athletics is funded outside of the government, but there might be too much pressure with that one.

hiphopfroggy

I don't see the Pac taking WV. The travel just isn't feasible. I also don't see the Big Ten going after the California schools. I think 2 schools that could fit in the western Big Ten would be nice so the Indiana schools could be in the same division. I think going to the East is also an option. Again travel would be a nightmare. As far as the Pac is concerned I don't see them taking Baylor. I think UCLA and Cal would have some issues with playing them from a political side. I know college athletics is funded outside of the government, but there might be too much pressure with that one.

I'm beginning to think along these lines as well. That the travel is too big an obstacle for the Pac/B1G to overcome, and the Pac will try and make it work and salvage their network.

If this is the case then B1G goes all in on ND, who I think they will get eventually as the B1G east would suite them well and the ACC won't be able to pay them enough.

This being the case it seems like the best move for the Pac is to add KU, OSU, TT, and TCU. These three states are contiguous with Colorado, and with Utah and the Arizona schools creates a pretty good Pac division. This leaves the original Pac 8 in the other division, which I believe they see as best case scenario.

WVU and Cincinnati to the ACC and Iowa St to B1G west.

HG73

I don't see any more more movement unless somehow ND goes to the B1G. The ACC has them under contract but they can't pay them enough.
None of the 8 Orphans will get invited anywhere unless there is a big realignment and I don't see that anytime soon. We need to stick this out, make OUT pay and either pick up 1 or two teams (whatever the TV suits tell us) and move on, or merge with the PAC.

Nick Danger

Ran across this blurb in an article from an "Oregon insider" on a Southern Cal website. This guy's comments aren't especially authoritative, just some more anecdotal evidence that TCU is in the mix for a possible PAC/Big-8 merger, and that perhaps the knock on TCU (and Baylor for that matter) for being a "religious school" is not really a serious concern out West. I also found the author's use of the word "We" as interesting . . . . and heartening!

Here's a link to the entire article for those that like to read and stuff! :rolleyes:
https://trojanswire.usatoday.com/?p=24218

“That’s really a slippery slope, because the Pac-12 was already considered a pretty weak conference, especially at the bottom, when you have teams like Colorado and Arizona who routinely don’t really do much for anyone outside the West Coast. We (Pac-12) really have to avoid looking at teams that are just going way down the rankings.

We (at Oregon) like TCU. We like Baylor. I like Oklahoma State, too. It would be weird to have OSUs (Oklahoma State and Oregon State) that are both black and orange in the same conference, but that’s a conversation for another time. You look at teams that I really don’t want: someone like Kansas or Texas Tech or Hawaii. I don’t really know what level of (football) competition they’re bringing in. Those fit that narrative of teams that aren’t great and are just kind of there.”

If Texas Tech really wants to join the Pac-12, a surprisingly strong 2021 football season would go a long way toward changing public perception. Editor's Note: The same could be said of TCU!

Last edited:

ShreveFrog

With jet planes I don't think it's a big deal if WV has to travel further west or vice versa. Travel is travel. WV gives the PAC some east coast eyeballs. Is WV really that more of a reach than Iowa State in terms of travel?
From a regional "contiguous state" membership standpoint -- yeah, makes no sense at all. But it's we're beyond that.

PO Frog

With jet planes I don't think it's a big deal if WV has to travel further west or vice versa. Travel is travel. WV gives the PAC some east coast eyeballs. Is WV really that more of a reach than Iowa State in terms of travel?
From a regional "contiguous state" membership standpoint -- yeah, makes no sense at all. But it's we're beyond that.
A 5 hour plane ride is a hell of a lot different than a 2.5 one.