• The KillerFrogs

OT: The Masters 2018

Truly man! As a freshman we didn’t know the rules that well, as illustrated by gohornedfrogs correct rule and what happened to me afterwards but even then we ALL knew not to pick it up. That’s why I still think to this day he wa purposely cheating.

I got him back though...heard a girl at a party that he had liked for a while saying she was interested in him. Proceeded to inform her that his hygiene wasn’t the best. Childish and simple for sure but it definitely worked. She avoided him the rest of the year. Pretty bad of me but screw that Aggie...

I've also seen in tournaments where someone hits your ball by mistake and it's also a lost ball and back to the tee. People are just idiots sometimes.

JogginFrog

Oh I didn’t know that. Any reason as to why they decided not to in the end? Completely agree.

USGA issued a lengthy statement regarding the decision. Gist of it is:

"When the ball is lost, however, there is no reference point for taking relief. When a ball has been hit out of bounds, the player has failed to keep the ball on the course. The logical outcome in both cases, consistent with the nature of the game, is to count the stroke, give a penalty for losing the ball or hitting it off the course, and have the player try the stroke again.

Although there have been many attempts over time to find alternatives to the current stroke-and-distance procedure, the inability to resolve several concerns has led to no such changes being made. The basic concern in allowing the player to avoid proceeding under stroke and distance is that this would conflict with the fundamental challenge of the game: the player must play the ball so that it comes to rest on the course and can be found, or face having to play the stroke again."​

See the full explanation here: http://www.usga.org/rules-hub/rules-modernization/text/stroke-and-distance-relief.html

SuperBarrFrog

She looks a little over-inflated.
Haha, that’s the Perfect adjective.

giphy.gif

Wexahu

Kinda sucks that his family situation and cheating allegations seem to be overshadowing him actually winning the tournament, but you reap what you sow I guess.

Kinda sucks that his family situation and cheating allegations seem to be overshadowing him actually winning the tournament, but you reap what you sow I guess.
Vijay Singh was dogged by very similar circumstances wrt cheating. Like Vijay, Reed doesn’t parse words and doesn’t care what others think about him, either. Vijay wasn’t well-liked by his peers or fans, kinda like what we're hearing about Reed. But their play on the course speaks for itself.

This whole situation with Reed and his family is just a little weird, if you ask me. There’s something there, and the media doesn’t know what it is, so they are trying to force it out into the open.

JogginFrog

I get that people are interested in a first-time major winner and want to know more of his backstory. But it's sad to see all of the attention pushed onto troubles in a player's personal life. You would expect most journalists to steer clear of something like that, except that a) his parents live in Augusta and b) his wife worked as his caddie and brother-in-law continues to. Those provide relevant angles for coverage.

I appreciated Alan Shipnuck's original story for Golf Magazine, in which he interviewed Reed's parents on their perspective about their son's victory, but the copycat mentions are unnecessary piling on. Today Shipnuck posted a second story about the decision to go there, and his press-conference question to Reed about it.

Last edited:

Wexahu

I get that people are interested in a first-time major winner and want to know more of his backstory. But it's sad to see all of the attention pushed onto troubles in a player's personal life. You would expect most journalists to steer clear of something like that, except that a) his parents live in Augusta and b) his wife worked as his caddie and brother-in-law continues to. Those provide relevant angles for coverage.

I appreciated Alan Shipnuck's original story for Golf Magazine, in which he interviewed Reed's parents on their perspective about their son's victory, but the copycat mentions are unnecessary piling on. Today Shipnuck posted a second story about the decision to go there in the first place.

Reed doesn't do himself any favors by the way he answers the questions related to it. A simple yes, we've had some disagreements and it's been hard but please respect my privacy would probably do, but instead he answers most of those questions with "I'm just trying to play some good golf". That just raises more suspicions.