• The KillerFrogs

OT: The Masters 2018

flyfishingfrog

Its annoying that ESPN doesn't start their broadcast until 2pm. Why? Right now Fowler and Mickelson are making great shots - Fowler just made a 66-footer to save par on the 6th. The Golf channel is worthless - just talking heads and interviews (who cares?)
So anyway, if interested, the Masters website is showing play at
https://www.masters.com/en_US/watch/index.html
Because Augusta National makes the decision and they correlate limiting access To exclusivity

Wasn’t that long ago they only televised the back 9

At least with the web app and a smart tv or device you can watch golf almost all day now

Ron Swanson

They've made the course too difficult. Snooze fest so far. Hate when every shot or putt has to be a defensive effort.
It’s a major and we have one guy at -8 and a bunch of guys at -5 and -4 and it’s not even the weekend yet.

Not too difficult and not a snooze fest at all, IMO

P

purplePPO

Did Verne Lunquist come out of retirement to strictly call the Masters on whole number 16? I do not recall him doing it last year. Just asking?

PO Frog

It’s a major and we have one guy at -8 and a bunch of guys at -5 and -4 and it’s not even the weekend yet.

Not too difficult and not a snooze fest at all, IMO
It is to me. Scoring average of 73.79 on a benign Thursday and over 75 today. Not great viewing pleasure. And it’s not going to get better with gusts of 30 tomorrow. Wake me when they go back to fun on the back nine with birdies and eagles flying around. If I wanted to watch a death march I’d wait for the Us open.

It has been proven, at least to our own satisfaction, that those who patronize the Masters get more pleasure and excitement watching the great players make birdies than bogeys. It would be easy to set up Augusta National so that no one could break 80 on it. But, if this were done, we doubt if the players would like it. And we are certain such a policy would be unpopular with the patrons...most assuredly Mackenzie and Jones would have been disappointed if good scores by capable players had not been forthcoming.
CLIFFORD ROBERTS

PO Frog

I agree, I'd much prefer the winning score to be -25. Who wants a test of real golf.
I can assure you nobody likes average scores of 75+ from the greatest golfers in the world, and most certainly not at Augusta National. Save that for the opens. The Masters used to be fun and roars. Now it’s tears watching a former champ Tin Cup the 15th on 5 straight decently struck shots. No bueno

PO Frog

Reed is -9 through 2 rounds and there are guys at -7 and -5

What would you like the leaders to be at after Friday, -15?

I think it’s a perfect balance of a tough test and fair where great shots are rewarded.
I would like a lot more guys scoring well, not just 13 players under par out of the entire field under fairly benign weather conditions. I think some of the greens have moved into unfair territory but at the very least too treacherous to enjoy as a fan.

This is coming from someone who watches online, records four different DTV channels of coverage to watch all night, and attends whenever I can. My step dad even played in the tournament. I love it beyond most others, but it is boring to me this year. Glad you are enjoying it. Ratings are through the roof.

AroundWorldFrog

Now it’s tears watching a former champ Tin Cup the 15th on 5 straight decently struck shots. No bueno
How do you explain when the course was much easier that someone scored a -13 on a par 3? Sergio has always had a problem controlling his spin. He's blown up like that before. Had nothing to do with the course.

PO Frog

How do you explain when the course was much easier that someone scored a -13 on a par 3? Sergio has always had a problem controlling his spin. He's blown up like that before. Had nothing to do with the course.
I don’t need to explain it. I find it boring when the course plays to a 75+ field average. If you like watching it, good for you.

Also, it took the last threesome to get around in a tidy 5 hour 45 minutes pace. Because the course is out of hand....

Last edited:
P

purplePPO

I can assure you nobody likes average scores of 75+ from the greatest golfers in the world, and most certainly not at Augusta National. Save that for the opens. The Masters used to be fun and roars. Now it’s tears watching a former champ Tin Cup the 15th on 5 straight decently struck shots. No bueno

As a golfer who competed in high school and college and some amateur USGA tournaments in my younger days I have no problem with the strict test of golf for the best in the world. If you want to see birdies by the dozen then just go to local putt putt but this is not that. Most golfers understand the intricacies of just trying to skillfully hit golf shots and make a birdie, some courses are easier, some courses are not. This is a golf major and as such it should be a very strict test of golf. The record for the lowest scores for 72 holes is 21 under par at the Masters. You will see more birdies this weekend. You may also see bogeys and more. That is golf.

MTfrog5

Personally laughed my ass off watching Sergio. Glad he got his major and used to like him since he would come to colonial, but his poor me attitude made me want him to lose more often than not.

Frog-in-law1995

20% of the pre-cut field are amateurs and olds who only qualified because they are past champions. It’s the weakest major pre-cut field for sure, and always is, but you may be the only one who cares about the overall scoring average of a tournament that 82’s by Ian Woosnam, Larry Mize and a 32 year old firefighter on vacation are factoring into. Plus, it’s not like those guys get any TV time. The Masters is The Masters because of today and tomorrow.

Limp Lizard

I can see the ratings are marginally higher due to Tiger being there. Mainly people who don't care about golf that much. But there are many great golfers who are near the lead today and will continue to bolster the ratings. Unless he makes a major move today, you won't see much of Tiger.