• The KillerFrogs

OT: Lone Star Beer. Question from some of the older beer drinkers here.

Limp Lizard

I don't think I have had a Lone Star since the late 1970's. It is still the same crap that they brewed then? Texas makes some great beers, but LS and Pearl ain't one of them. I remember in the mid-70's when a friend of mine and I ordered LS by mistake and thought that the Coors on tap was really gross! He stopped drinking his and I finished mine, and had a bad stomach for a couple of days.

It's just that you see a Texas bar scene on TV and everyone is drinking Lone Star.

OICU812

I grew up down the road from Gilley’s. They used to have free beer nights weekly, with minimal cover. It was “Gilley Beer,” which was reputed to be Pearl Light in a Gilley label can. Stuff was pretty bad. They weren’t losing much money on it because nobody wanted very much of it, even for free.

Horned Toad

Lone Star is contract brewed by Miller/Coors Brewing in Fort Worth. I was down in Fredericksburg last spring and every boutique my wife drug me into had a cooler full of cans of it free for the taking. I finally said hell why not, and popped one open. It was a heck of a lot better than I expected and remembered it being. I drank it the rest of the day. It was very drinkable in a slamming it down kind of way.

(Brewing Frog and Bizzaro, I have two silvers and one bronze from the GABF from back in my pro days.)

Limey Frog

I only drink National.

iu

FrogCop19

Former Homebrew Beer Judge here. Lone Star, Pearl and Shiner are a throwback to a time period of lighter easy drinking beers low on flavor but easily approachable. Not sure about the stomach problems unless the keg or bottles were infected which would cause an off taste. It would be very unusual to cause illness.
Not sure I would classify Shiner as "lighter," "easy drinking" or "low on flavor." It's my #1 go-to when I'm out, and I have some of their seasonal stuff in my fridge right now, and it doesn't belong in the same discussion as Lone Star or Pearl. That's like saying, "Toyotas, Hondas, and Ferraris are all sports cars."

HFrog1999

I don't think I have had a Lone Star since the late 1970's. It is still the same crap that they brewed then? Texas makes some great beers, but LS and Pearl ain't one of them. I remember in the mid-70's when a friend of mine and I ordered LS by mistake and thought that the Coors on tap was really gross! He stopped drinking his and I finished mine, and had a bad stomach for a couple of days.

It's just that you see a Texas bar scene on TV and everyone is drinking Lone Star.

That's just product placement.

Limey Frog

Not sure I would classify Shiner as "lighter," "easy drinking" or "low on flavor." It's my #1 go-to when I'm out, and I have some of their seasonal stuff in my fridge right now, and it doesn't belong in the same discussion as Lone Star or Pearl. That's like saying, "Toyotas, Hondas, and Ferraris are all sports cars."
Shiner is an absolute lifesaver in any beer-ordering situation in Texas for a lover of quality ale. It isn't the best beer in the world, but it's not crap and if all else fails you it is on tap absolutely everywhere.

Bizarro Frog

Lone Star is contract brewed by Miller/Coors Brewing in Fort Worth. I was down in Fredericksburg last spring and every boutique my wife drug me into had a cooler full of cans of it free for the taking. I finally said hell why not, and popped one open. It was a heck of a lot better than I expected and remembered it being. I drank it the rest of the day. It was very drinkable in a slamming it down kind of way.

(Brewing Frog and Bizzaro, I have two silvers and one bronze from the GABF from back in my pro days.)
That's freaking fantastic. I was never a very accomplished brewer and most of my exploits in the field of beer were cut real short once I started having kids. Maybe one day I can get back into to it.

I was a total hop head for a while until I was skiing one year in Telluride and not acclimated to the altitude. I felt like the IPA's were just evaporating the water from my body. A buddy of mine who lived there ordered a beer on tap, handed it to me and said you will enjoy this. It was a PBR and it was fantastic at the time. I became less of a beer snob that day.

FrogCop19

That's freaking fantastic. I was never a very accomplished brewer and most of my exploits in the field of beer were cut real short once I started having kids. Maybe one day I can get back into to it.

I was a total hop head for a while until I was skiing one year in Telluride and not acclimated to the altitude. I felt like the IPA's were just evaporating the water from my body. A buddy of mine who lived there ordered a beer on tap, handed it to me and said you will enjoy this. It was a PBR and it was fantastic at the time. I became less of a beer snob that day.
You know why, right? Reminds me of that old joke I saw on Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

How is drinking American beer like making love in a canoe?
Because it's f****** close to water.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Shiner has a lovely portfolio of beers, from Shiner Blonde, all the way to Shiner Black, a schwartzbier (Black Lager), with Kolsch styles and Wheat beers as well. The Bock is, of course, mother's milk...

tjcoffice

I don't think I have had a Lone Star since the late 1970's. It is still the same crap that they brewed then? Texas makes some great beers, but LS and Pearl ain't one of them.
Don't say that. It was and *always* will be the national beer of Texas! I good friend of mine, we are both 66, has drunk nothing else since high school. But, darned if I would drink it - even if the worst craft beer was available. I don't know where my friend continues to find it. Is it even still in the grocery stores?

bronco

On a slightly different note, I would love to know who was in charge of the marketing for Tito's Vodka. That has become a wildly popular national brand in a relatively short period of time.

FrogCop19

Shiner has a lovely portfolio of beers, from Shiner Blonde, all the way to Shiner Black, a schwartzbier (Black Lager), with Kolsch styles and Wheat beers as well. The Bock is, of course, mother's milk...
My neighbor and I have become enamored with the Holiday Cheer Shiner. It's actually very good.
There's not much closer to perfection than a Shiner Bock from the tap in a large mug.
In a mug so cold that there's an ice-button underneath, like Angelo's! (Although theirs was a schooner...)

"Large, make it dark!"