• The KillerFrogs

OT: homeowners insurance

Frogs1983

What you say about increases and USAA is true but their premiums typically start out higher than other companies in my experience. I used to not mind paying that premium for the service they provided but they’re a shell of what they once were quality of service-wise. I’m only saying that from a home-owner’s and auto policy holder - not sure about their other services.
Service( especially Claims) has dropped with All Carriers. After Covid, they can't hire enough people to properly staff areas needed IMO.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Insurance companies are financial institutions. They are rated based on their reserves. They take your money (premiums) and invest it. If the stock market is down (like it was in 2022), bond market is down (due to interest rates and inflation), claims are up (due to catastrophic weather events and high rebuilding costs), this is the perfect storm for higher insurance premiums.
So they aren‘t charitable groups set up to pay plaintiff lawyers what they demand like they say they should be?

Our Farmer’s policy actually decreased from $4400 to $3700 at renewal this summer. I came to the thread thinking other carriers were reducing rates as well.

You are the extreme exception. I work with a lot of insurance brokers and they're stressed out to the max. Premium increases over 75% are common. Last week I had one tell me folks he's had for several years and it's never been over $1800 but now $3200 is the lowest he can find for them. I'm dreading my renewal bc it's usually around $2400 so no telling where it will be.

This underscores the importance of the property tax relief the Texas house and senate agreed to yesterday.

Frogs1983

Same feeling regarding USAA. They seem to fight pretty hard for every claim dollar wherein the distant past they seemed to over-accommodate on the claim end.
Off target a bit but one of my oldest investments is Markel. First shares acquired at my dads suggestion almost 30 years ago. They write in the 90 combined ratio territory consistently. Specialty underwriters. Darn good investment.
Markel is a very good Carrier. Have used them for Commercial Insurance for a long time.

An-Cap Frog

You are the extreme exception. I work with a lot of insurance brokers and they're stressed out to the max. Premium increases over 75% are common. Last week I had one tell me folks he's had for several years and it's never been over $1800 but now $3200 is the lowest he can find for them. I'm dreading my renewal bc it's usually around $2400 so no telling where it will be.

This underscores the importance of the property tax relief the Texas house and senate agreed to yesterday.
Property tax wise...I'm paying 2.17% of my Zillow MV estimate.

fanatical frog

Just got a statement saying my homeowners policy has risen by 71% over last year. This is absurd. Anyone else? Anyone know why? I’m used to small rises but never seen anything like this.

I'm one of those who never paid much attention to insurance premiums....and I'm just eyeballing here but I'm pretty sure our homeowners has roughly tripled over the past four to six years. Significant increases every year. Our renewal won't be due until Sept but I'm getting kind of nervous about it.

An-Cap Frog

I'm one of those who never paid much attention to insurance premiums....and I'm just eyeballing here but I'm pretty sure our homeowners has roughly tripled over the past four to six years. Significant increases every year. Our renewal won't be due until Sept but I'm getting kind of nervous about it.
This topic needs a trigger warning!

Eight

Just got a mailer from another insurance company (all state) estimating my annual premium with them to be 1/2 of what I paid travelers in 2022. Prob too good to be true but I’m wondering…

most of those are crap, cut corners on coverages and deductibles, don't use accurate descriptions of your home, and will include every possible discount available without pulling reports and insurance history (which they won't until the end, but can have an impact)

the goal is to get you to call them and not be accurate in the pricing

nothing wrong with shopping coverages, would compare captive agency (i.e state farm, liberty mutual, amica) with independent agent/ broker like 83

most people don't want to put in the time, but for most this is your biggest single asset unless you are doc and then you can claim being the funniest poster on killerfrogs

UltimateFrog

For the first five years of owning a home, it was always within a couple $100. Two years ago it increased 40%, last year another 40%. I've already gotten a letter from my homeowners insurance that someone drove around my neighborhood and I have to cut down large portions of my trees or they won't renew my policy next year. I live in The WOODlands.

Inflation has been painful on everyday items, but what's hurt the most is that I'm paying $1,500 more/year for homeowner insurance, $600 more/year auto, and $2k more/year for property taxes. It's great my property value is increasing, but I won't see a benefit for at least 14 years. And the only reason prop taxes aren't up more is because it's capped at 10%... so I've got a large gap between my appraised value and what prop tax is based on, guaranteeing another 10% increase next year and almost certainly the next.

I've filed ZERO auto or home claims in my entire life. ZERO.

Eight

For the first five years of owning a home, it was always within a couple $100. Two years ago it increased 40%, last year another 40%. I've already gotten a letter from my homeowners insurance that someone drove around my neighborhood and I have to cut down large portions of my trees or they won't renew my policy next year. I live in The WOODlands.

Inflation has been painful on everyday items, but what's hurt the most is that I'm paying $1,500 more/year for homeowner insurance, $600 more/year auto, and $2k more/year for property taxes. It's great my property value is increasing, but I won't see a benefit for at least 14 years. And the only reason prop taxes aren't up more is because it's capped at 10%... so I've got a large gap between my appraised value and what prop tax is based on, guaranteeing another 10% increase next year and almost certainly the next.

I've filed ZERO auto or home claims in my entire life. ZERO.

83 and others can toss in their experiences, but there has always been to some degree of disparity between the market value of a home, the tax appraisal, and the estimated cost to tear down-haul off-rebuild a home (aka dwelling coverage in your homeowners policy)

can't recall where there has been such a disparity between the dwelling coverage and the other two and i have seen some in the last 6 months that have an absurdly large gap

Frogs1983

Just got a mailer from another insurance company (all state) estimating my annual premium with them to be 1/2 of what I paid travelers in 2022. Prob too good to be true but I’m wondering
Agents mail these "generic" quotes out all the time, to hopefully entice people to respond. These "quotes" never include any claims history, always just include bare bones coverages, usually little or no water damage or foundation coverages. Usually, when it's all said and done, actual quote is always much higher. It is too good to be true.

A Client sent me a copy of an " offer" he recently received in the mail from Allstate , offering $404.000 Dwelling Coverage at $845.00. I told him if he can actually get that, he better run with it! He emailed me a few days later, "finalized" quote from Allstate was around $3,000.00 .

Paul in uhh

Agents mail these "generic" quotes out all the time, to hopefully entice people to respond. These "quotes" never include any claims history, always just include bare bones coverages, usually little or no water damage or foundation coverages. Usually, when it's all said and done, actual quote is always much higher. It is too good to be true.

A Client sent me a copy of an " offer" he recently received in the mail from Allstate , offering $404.000 Dwelling Coverage at $845.00. I told him if he can actually get that, he better run with it! He emailed me a few days later, "finalized" quote from Allstate was around $3,000.00 .
At the risk of looking like a poor amongst the TCU crowd I’m looking for $415k and travelers just quoted me 6500 annually. Never made any claims and the house is built in 1982

Does that seem high?

YA

At the risk of looking like a poor amongst the TCU crowd I’m looking for $415k and travelers just quoted me 6500 annually. Never made any claims and the house is built in 1982

Does that seem high?
Is that the renewal or new coverage?

Eight

another piece of advice

DO NOT GO ONLINE, FACEBOOK, TICKTOCK, ETC...and put your contact information in any site that claims they will do the searching for you for free

that is what an independent agent/broker does and they do get paid via commissions

those sites that say they will do it for free are data farmers who are going to sell your info to anyone who will buy it

BEWARE.....if you go that route be prepared to be bombarded by phone, text, and email