• The KillerFrogs

OT - Bison Brisket

AroundWorldFrog

Have a chance to get some bison brisket at a pretty good price. I'm guessing the chances are slim, but has anyone ever tried cooking one? Or tasted one? I know we have some brisket masters on here so I thought someone might have. It looks pretty darn lean and I'm worried about cooking it in a traditional brisket manner.
Thanks!

lonestarfrog89

Have a chance to get some bison brisket at a pretty good price. I'm guessing the chances are slim, but has anyone ever tried cooking one? Or tasted one? I know we have some brisket masters on here so I thought someone might have. It looks pretty darn lean and I'm worried about cooking it in a traditional brisket manner.
Thanks!
Never cooked one or even seen on cooked but a few thoughts I would consider… foil may be your friend here over unwrapped/butcher paper. Also, beef tallow may be helpful to add some surface level fat.

I’d almost approach it like a smoked tri tip. Once you have the color you want, wrap it in foil loosely.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yep, Lonestar above has it nailed pretty good. My only modification would be bacon fat. Mainly because I like bacon.

Low and slow, and allow for plenty of time. Bison is, as you noted, damned lean. Without care it will dry up awfully quick. I might suggest a sous-vide, but you'd have to do it in a bathtub...

Deep Purple

Never cooked one or even seen on cooked but a few thoughts I would consider… foil may be your friend here over unwrapped/butcher paper. Also, beef tallow may be helpful to add some surface level fat.
I'm no kind of cook or BBQ-master, I only know what tastes good. I would think the fat is important because buffalo meat, while flavorful enough, is so much leaner and drier than beef. Every time I've eaten buffalo, it has seemed that way.

Am I close?

lonestarfrog89

I'm no kind of cook or BBQ-master, I only know what tastes good. I would think the fat is important because buffalo meat, while flavorful enough, is so much leaner and drier than beef. Every time I've eaten buffalo, it has seemed that way.

Am I close?
Yes, it’s super lean so the smoking process wouldn’t render any fat because there basically isn’t any.

Mean Purple

Please report back. Considering the lean of the meat, it will be interesting to see how it turns our. Have only had Bison at a restaurant. And they didn't do that great of a job one of the times. Later on, they were only offering it in burger form.

FrogAbroad

Brisket can be almighty dry, and with venison or bison the moisture issue can be easily exacerbated unless you stew it or make a batch of chili. But there is (or at least, was) a guy right there in Fort Worth who comes closer than anyone else I know to solving the problem.

Here's a LINK to his website.

AroundWorldFrog

Please report back. Considering the lean of the meat, it will be interesting to see how it turns our. Have only had Bison at a restaurant. And they didn't do that great of a job one of the times. Later on, they were only offering it in burger form.
If I try I will let everyone know how it is. I put in an order for one and it's still awful cold in NW Wyoming so it might be a month before I'm brave enough to venture out to the pellet grill (which I freaking love for brisket and ribs mainly due to the temperature control, but the smoke mode is awesome)

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Thanks!
Bison can be very lean and needs something to keep it moist. At The Buffalo Trading Co. in Denver we had some really good tender steaks. We asked what the secret was. They said they let it marinate in olive oil.

lonestarfrog89

Yep, Lonestar above has it nailed pretty good. My only modification would be bacon fat. Mainly because I like bacon.

Low and slow, and allow for plenty of time. Bison is, as you noted, damned lean. Without care it will dry up awfully quick. I might suggest a sous-vide, but you'd have to do it in a bathtub...
This is actually a great idea. Smoke it and once you get the bark you like, put it in a sous vide bath. Then take it back out and give it another hour or so on the smoker to firm the bark back up. There’s a guy in Austin who posted a video about a smoked and sous vide brisket, I’ll try to find it.

I’ve done it with a steak (smoke, sous vide, then sear) and it was damn good and a fun meal to cook.

froginmn

I’d almost approach it like a smoked tri tip. Once you have the color you want, wrap it in foil loosely.
I use tallow on my briskets; not sure what beef tallow on a bison brisket would do but to keep it in the right lane I'd buy bison tallow for that cook.

Curious why you think foil? That will make it cook faster; I always use butcher paper.