• The KillerFrogs

Orlando Sentinel: Potential antitrust claims may have helped slow down mega conference expansion

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]Orlando Sentinel: Potential antitrust claims may have helped slow down mega conference expansion[/SIZE]

By Iliana Limón, Orlando Sentinel

Super conference expansion is on hold, at least for now, but the fight over the consolidation of power into the hand of a few conferences is not over.

Documents obtained by SI.com show that concerns over potential antitrust claims may have helped stop the Pac-10's proposed raid of the Big 12. A growing number of politicians continue to attack the Bowl Championship Series.

Utah attorney general Mark Shurtleff said in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel he isn't giving up his battle against the BCS. ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Atomic Frawg @ Jul 4 2010, 08:12 AM) [snapback]593046[/snapback]
Solid informative read.

Reporter former sports reporter for the Albuquerque paper than folded.

Good to know this has not been forgotten ...

Dogfrog

I've often wondered if the fastest and surest way into an AQ conference is a little antitrust saber rattling by TCU attorneys.

HG73

Wonder how Boise's move to the MWC will affect all this?

1. All the BCS busters are in one conference now (MWC).

2. big12 is extremely unstable.

3. big east remains extremely unstable.

Burner1

Tier 1
I wonder of Orrin Hatch will continue to bedevil the cartel now that Utah is a member?

I don't think a lawsuit will be successful, because all the FBS schools signed on to this arrangement and accept a share (albeit a small share for some) of the bowl money. We agreed to it so we have no legitimate complaint.

Eventually, the four megaconferences will probably form their own division and have a four-team playoff for the national championship. TCU and MWC will be left behind, but most of the politicians and the press will be satisfied.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I think that the "lesser" conferences signing with the BCS can be shown as coercion. "Sign, or else you get no money at all."

As the old saw goes, follow the money. Money, or 'distribution of revenue' is the legal path by which the BCS can be destroyed. It is there where the great disparity lies, and the best evidence is ours and Boise's payouts from the Fiesta Bowl. That Bowl made out like bandits, having to pay about 40% of what it would have had to pay had they invited some BCS spares. That money went into their pocket, near as I can tell.

As you all know, we play in the BCS or in the Poinsettia Bowl. That's a pretty steep drop in financial compensation. Why is a 4-loss Ole Miss playing in the Cotton Bowl and dragging home a sack of loot? Financial disparity. Lack of opportunity. No access. This is where the system is vulnerable.

The sad fact is, as long as the politicians see no great clamor from their electorates, they will not bother to do anything. Our alumni base is miniscule compared to the Usual Suspects here in Texas. Pols don't wish to piss off that many voters without a very good reason. Utah is the exception, and the apparatus of the State has been engaged. Wyoming should follow. As should Idaho, Nevada and New Mexico. That sounds like a Federal District Court to me...

Sadly, the BCS will probably die of innate greed before the wheels of justice grind it up. UT has shown its colors (green clashes with burnt orange, don't it?) and the rest of the Little Dwarfs (Little Sheep? The metaphor is more relevant... Sheep it is!) Little Sheep have inked a new agreement that reads something like "We, the Mighty UT, will beat the living crap out of you, and take 60% of the money, whilst you, the Little Sheep, will bleat only when we say and split the remaining 40% amongst yourselves." The Little Sheep agreed to this because they have nowhere else to go. The MWC wouldn't take them. The WAC probably wouldn't either. Besides, if they stay where they are, they'll have the same lousy record as they would in the WAC (Hello, Baylor!) but they'll cash a gargantuan check for their troubles, even if it is the crumbs falling off UT's plate... Such is the monetary and competitive disparity between the MWC and the Rump Big XII. That can't last. UT will want more, and it will leave it's bruised concubine for a new and unbruised chick to start abusing. They are their own masters. And, as long as they keep winning, they'll be able to keep this arrogant and contemptuous act going. Lose a few games, have some down seasons, and they collapse like a skewered souffle'.

In the end, that is UT's greatest fear. Losing. The Gravy Train keeps chugging as long as the wins keep piling up. Schedule Rice, U La. La., Tulsa. More wins, baby! But, the sad truth is, no matter how many athletes and players you have, you get soft playing anything less than the best. You start cutting corners, getting cute. This is all smiled at until you lose. Then it is a matter of Concern. By then, it is too late. As good as the Gravy Train is, the ride down far worse. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. UT is currently trying to sew up Texas all to it's own. Others who try to wriggle out of the net will not be rewarded well. (Unless you're A$M. How's that s*** sandwich taste, Aggies?) UT feeles that it can hang on for a little while longer if it has a monopoly on wins in Texas. It knows deep down that this cannot last.

Oh that TCU has the opportunity to take a rock to this tottering Goliath. Nothing would hasten their demise quicker than defeat at the hands of an up-and-coming independant, Private school they cannot get to politically or financially. We are a threat to them. A$M they can control, as we have seen. Ditto OU. TCU they cannot control. For these reasons, they fear us.

Mike Slive. Paging Mike Slive. Pick up the Purple and White phone... Opportunity is calling!

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Burner1 @ Jul 4 2010, 09:08 AM) [snapback]593063[/snapback]
I wonder of Orrin Hatch will continue to bedevil the cartel now that Utah is a member?

I don't think a lawsuit will be successful, because all the FBS schools signed on to this arrangement and accept a share (albeit a small share for some) of the bowl money. We agreed to it so we have no legitimate complaint.

Eventually, the four megaconferences will probably form their own division and have a four-team playoff for the national championship. TCU and MWC will be left behind, but most of the politicians and the press will be satisfied.

You are right that the conferences signed off on the BCS rules based on approval of the Presidents. However, it wouldn't be hard to prove that it was signed under duress and also under protest (Thompson). I mean, the alternative to signing off is in effect exclusion from college football. As long as we fans and the media take the position that the injustice is inevitable, that college football is only about what's good for half the Div. IA schools, that a college amateur sport with federal tax exempt status should be run like a professional league, then you are right.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Disagree. It could be argued the reasons for signing it and why schools couldn't refuse to sign.

Frog75

Bingo-----we have a winner. I think you are 100% correct

Gunner

If the state of Utah filed an anti trust brief, it would not be in the name of any conference or necessarily any member of the BCS whoredom. So, the courts would recognize the state and any one schools' group association would be of no consequence.

I've wondered from day one, why one serious non AQ school, didn't file the suit anyway. It is the kind of lawsuit that could win so easily in America. Beating up on little guys is not permitted on regular basis, in the courts of this land. That's why we have anti trust, libel, etc...

Remember like yesterday, when one of TCU's principal donors, made the comment, that "TCU has no interest at all, in going to court over the BCS". It was one of the dumbest comments I have ever heard. The nightmare should have been over, many years ago. Somebody should have stepped up.

Orrin Hatch is a BYU alum and a solid majority of the college football fans in the state of Utah are BYU fans. I strongly suspect he will still give the cartel plenty of grief.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Horned Frog Country @ Jul 4 2010, 03:25 PM) [snapback]593144[/snapback]
Orrin Hatch is a BYU alum and a solid majority of the college football fans in the state of Utah are BYU fans. I strongly suspect he will still give the cartel plenty of grief.

All that means is that BYU will likely be the next school invited to an AQ conference. TCU may need to show its fangs to get an invite. As long as we're "good old TCU" we'll get the cheese.

BelushiBob

Disagree. I really think they dont care NOW. Because I think they have realized its about TV deals and not the bowls. They didnt shift around because of the BCS. They shifted around because of market share and tv deals. Bowls are collateral

Cougar/Frog

Utah's next senator (replacing Bennett) will be Mike Lee, a two-time BYU grad, and son of Rex Lee (solicitor general and later president of BYU). Knowing him personally, he will fit right in with the other dim bulbs in Washington. However, he will continue the fight against the cartel.