• The KillerFrogs

Only way out of this mess now is to hire NEON DEON. Recruits are all decommitting. It’s getting really bad.

hiphopfroggy

Say TCU's total staff budget was $10 million. Say Deion (who doesn't need the money) took $1 million. What kind of staff could he put together with the ability to pay more than most anyone else?

Bring Glenn Schumann home to Texas as the DC?
Give Tom Herman his ticket back into College Football as the OC?

Maybe Prime would just look to bring his staff with him or bring in NFL connections. Or maybe while doing those commercials with Saban...Nick taught him a thing or two about putting a staff together, being the CEO, being the closer on the recruiting trail, etc.

For me, if Deion is really in consideration, then it's all about what his staff looks like. I don't want Deion and his buddies. I want Deion the recruiter and a killer staff of successful college coaches. Then you aren't as worried about the coaching side of things because you have a top notch staff. You aren't at square one if/when he bolts for FSU or just hangs it up because you have built a staff with ready made replacements when that time comes. You aren't terrified that he is going to get you hammered by the NCAA because you have a staff that knows what can and can't be done and because some of that excess money you save on Deion you pump into the best compliance officers you can find.

Deion is a crazy idea. Deion most likely isn't a real option. Deion has a very real chance of epically blowing up in your face.

But Deion would be about as exciting as it gets, even if only for a short time...and Deion with a real staff...that would be scary for anyone on TCU's schedule.
Regarding Coach Prime's staff. His D coordinator seems pretty good already, same with his RB coach. He would probably need a new OC, I would love to see TCU pick Garrett Riley from SMU and Dykes.

Dennis Thurman is Jackson State's D Coordinator, he spent time as the Jets and Bills D coordinator.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Thurman

Mike Markuson is his O Line coach and had experience as an Online coach at Arkansas, Ole Miss and Wisconsin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Markuson

That seems like a pretty good start, just need an OC, get Garett Riley and call it a day.

FrogCoach84

Odd, that so many 'infrequent posters' suddenly emerge and anxiously promote a

colossal athletic blunder by acquiring a narcissistic clown....
Breaking news...a lot of successful coaches are in fact narcissists.

I'm not stumping for Deion as the next HC, but I think it would be disingenuous to DQ him because he has an inflated ego. DQ him on his coaching record, or because you think Prime Prep is a preview of a Deion led program with regard to NCAA violations, or because you think other candidates are vastly superior.

eh0215

folks discounting the sanders possibilty are perhaps not fully considering where college football is now.

freshmen recruiting doesnt matter anymore. You want a guy that dominates the transfer portal. Saban's classes will be 2/3 transfers within a few years.

NFL caliber players want to know how to market themselves. Sanders is that guy.

Wexahu

Breaking news...a lot of successful coaches are in fact narcissists.

I'm not stumping for Deion as the next HC, but I think it would be disingenuous to DQ him because he has an inflated ego. DQ him on his coaching record, or because you think Prime Prep is a preview of a Deion led program with regard to NCAA violations, or because you think other candidates are vastly superior.
It's all those reasons, the main one being he's only been coaching at the college level for about a year and a half, at the absolute lowest level of Division 1 football. And I don't think he's ever coached a game of football when one of his sons wasn't playing, has he?

Wexahu

folks discounting the sanders possibilty are perhaps not fully considering where college football is now.

freshmen recruiting doesnt matter anymore. You want a guy that dominates the transfer portal. Saban's classes will be 2/3 transfers within a few years.

NFL caliber players want to know how to market themselves. Sanders is that guy.
They should be way more focused on football (and going to school, if anyone cares about that at all anymore) than how to market themselves. That's probably the scariest prospect of all, we get a bunch of look-at-me 18-19 year old prima donnas who spend more time trying to market themselves than playing football and trying to win games. Sounds awful tbh.

FrogCoach84

It's all those reasons, the main one being he's only been coaching at the college level for about a year and a half, at the absolute lowest level of Division 1 football. And I don't think he's ever coached a game of football when one of his sons wasn't playing, has he?
I'm fine with those reasons. Those are all legitimate gripes.

I just think the ego/narcissist argument is lazy and not really an argument at all. It seems to be the one that comes up the most as well...narcissist, egomaniac, clown, self promoter...that's at a minimum partially describing a large majority of successful coaches...including the one who just left.

Deion would 100% be a circus and that circus would have some upside and some SERIOUS drawbacks. I just prefer to argue against his coaching pedigree rather than lob generic characterizations at him as if he is somehow unique in those regards.

Wexahu

I'm fine with those reasons. Those are all legitimate gripes.

I just think the ego/narcissist argument is lazy and not really an argument at all. It seems to be the one that comes up the most as well...narcissist, egomaniac, clown, self promoter...that's at a minimum partially describing a large majority of successful coaches...including the one who just left.

Deion would 100% be a circus and that circus would have some upside and some SERIOUS drawbacks. I just prefer to argue against his coaching pedigree rather than lob generic characterizations at him as if he is somehow unique in those regards.
The biggest circus of all would be if for whatever reason we had to fire him in 2-3 years. I can't imagine Deion, if he fails at something so in the public spotlight, doing anything but going scorched earth and publicly blaming everyone but himself, mostly TCU. And then where do we stand?

CardFrog

I am sure ADJD and Vbo and all the big money donors thought through all of these situations before they sat down with Gary after k state. Right?

hiphopfroggy

Zach Evan and his teammates wants Coach Prime, there is really nothing else to be said. Nobody's opinion matters more than the players. Get it done.

FrogCoach84

The biggest circus of all would be if for whatever reason we had to fire him in 2-3 years. I can't imagine Deion, if he fails at something so in the public spotlight, doing anything but going scorched earth and publicly blaming everyone but himself, mostly TCU. And then where do we stand?
Oh man that would be epic. The media rounds a fired Deion would make would be the definition of scorched earth. That might actually be the most compelling anti-Deion argument I've seen.

Gary just said he was untouchable (allegedly)...Coach Prime might actually be untouchable

Wexahu

Oh man that would be epic. The media rounds a fired Deion would make would be the definition of scorched earth. That might actually be the most compelling anti-Deion argument I've seen.
You want to talk about something that would take a program down........

Change your mind a little about Neon Deion?

And besides, even if he is successful, you think he'd stick around? LOL.