• The KillerFrogs

One of the worst losses in TCU history?

Froginexile

I'd put alot of games ahead of this one. I'm not even sure it's in my top 10 (I started at TCU in Fall 1998, great timing, I know).

In order of personal pain:
  1. 2003 @Southern Miss
  2. 2008 @Utah
  3. 2005 @SMU
  4. 2000 @San Jose State
  5. 2004 @Texas Tech
  6. 2010 Boise State
  7. 2007 @Texas
  8. 2011 @Baylor
  9. 2001 Texas A&M
  10. 2004 Tulane

2000...SJSU...that one was pretty awful. There was so much more on the line with that game. There is no way that we should have lost that game.

I would also put losing to BSU in the FW bowl. If we would have laid the wood to them then...not sure they would be where they are now.

NewFrogFan

I personally know several guys that will always say the 2005 SMU loss was FAR worse than this one.

It's over, we are undefeated in the MWC, time to let it go. IF we beat Boise, (we can) no one will remember (well maybe) this game.

Atom

Why did they let those idiot SMU fans rush our field?! When we rushed our own field after beating SMU, we got maced and arrested!

Didn't get that either. Bush league on their part but bush league on our security. I don't know but I'm guessing TCU took on some potential liability if something bad were to happen with the fans on the field

Lone Frog

just get used to it. Our talent is catching up with you and June jones is better than patterson that much was obvious today out

Jones is a good coach (I don't think anyone's said otherwise), and you do have some talent on your team. With some luck and perseverance, you may be on track to win against us once each decade when we're in a down year and you're up. It'll suck, but I suppose I can manage to live with that.

tcufrog115

meanwhile on youtube . . . . pony players say this is the biggest win of their football career. Guys, we have a lot to be thankful for.
It's funny, isn't it? Beating their "rival" is their biggest win. Ha. Not much of a rivalry. Patterson is 8-2 against SMU as TCU's head coach and 7-1 all-time against Jones.

As far as the argument of whose the better coach... I'd take GP any day of the week.

pastorfrog

If we want to count the ten worst L's since 1998 here we go in order of pain:

2000: SJfSU- Should have been the first busters
2005: SMU- again we should have run the table- curious if that L changed the rest of the year though.
2003: I hate Southern Miss Community College
2008: Utah (please someone cover that guy on the slant)
2009: Boise State- Would not have the live in their shadow any longer
2003: Boise State- Made us look like a fluke in 2003
2011: Baylor- put us on our heels all year and now play so dang tight
2001: Northwestern St- only time I thought we made a mistake hiring GP
2004: In Lubbock, I was there, want my money back
2002: Cincy season opener on the road loss to start what was a great season

Also a few breaks go our way in 2007 and I think we go 9-3 but that was a steep learning curve.

I'd put alot of games ahead of this one. I'm not even sure it's in my top 10 (I started at TCU in Fall 1998, great timing, I know).

In order of personal pain:
  1. 2003 @Southern Miss
  2. 2008 @Utah
  3. 2005 @SMU
  4. 2000 @San Jose State
  5. 2004 @Texas Tech
  6. 2010 Boise State
  7. 2007 @Texas
  8. 2011 @Baylor
  9. 2001 Texas A&M
  10. 2004 Tulane

Tsfardiim

I can think of ten losses my freshman year that were worse than this loss.

That's right, ten in one year. If all you've known are undefeated regular seasons, than any loss seems like the worst. With some perspective, I think as long as we go bowling this year, the season will hardly be remembered, let alone this particular loss.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
People, be realistic.

We lost 26 seniors, we lost the best QB since Sam Baugh, we have about 4 starters back from the #1 defense and a team made up of 2/3 freshmen and sophmores. Did anyone really think we would just keep up the momentum?

Look at it this way: SMU and Baylor are pounding their chests about beating TCU. They didn't beat Andy Dalton and the Rose Bowl champs. They beat a bunch of kid and had to hang on by their finger nails to beat them. They beat a team that like its stadium, a team under construction. The positives? Consider Pachal in 3 years. Save the tattoos and possibly character, he certainly seems to have the talent.

See Ohio State this year, Texas last year. Sometimes you have to rebuild.

In the mean time we can't lose the fan base momentum. We need to have people stay to the end and not give up on these kids the way a lot of people did Satuday.

HoustonHornedFrog

I can think of ten losses my freshman year that were worse than this loss.

That's right, ten in one year. If all you've known are undefeated regular seasons, than any loss seems like the worst. With some perspective, I think as long as we go bowling this year, the season will hardly be remembered, let alone this particular loss.

Lost 10 my sophomore year (out of 11) so I know exactly where you are coming from.
Or how about the three years '74 - '76 when the team went 1-10, 1-10, 0-11.
This is the worst loss only if you believe in the theory that the last win is always your best
and you last loss is always the worst.

This game, and the Baylor loss, can only be judged properly in context after the year is done.
And maybe not until a year or two down the road.

Will we look back and say that this was this the start of a slide into the middle
of the pack for the next decade as a program?

Will these games be seen as teaching a young team the tough lessons that ended
up with a 2013 National Championship?

Will they just be a couple of tough losses in a rebuilding year that in the long run mean
nothing more than a couple of close losses?

Time will tell. And none crying and moaning on this board will make a bit of difference to how it turns out.