• The KillerFrogs

Ole Miss fan leaves game, ends up with $900 Uber bill

PhillyFrog

tumblr_inline_n1eufdwkFI1sv5sg3.gif

froginaustin

Lots of screaming in Austin during during the last festival, ACL fest I think it was, about a few peeps being blindsided by $400-ish Uber fares to get away from Zilker Park.

If an when I take an Uber ride (big if), I think I'll look at the disclosure Uber customers are supposed to get on their smart phones before I finalize the deal.  Fares are supposed to be based on demand.  Must have been high demand for escape from the Peach Bowl from Ole Miss fans.

YA

It isn't that hard people--you can request what the fare will be BEFORE you get in a Uber vehicle.  It is on the app so saying one doesn't know the fare before they take the ride is just being ignorant. 

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
froginaustin said:
Lots of screaming in Austin during during the last festival, ACL fest I think it was, about a few peeps being blindsided by $400-ish Uber fares to get away from Zilker Park.

If an when I take an Uber ride (big if), I think I'll look at the disclosure Uber customers are supposed to get on their smart phones before I finalize the deal.  Fares are supposed to be based on demand.  Must have been high demand for escape from the Peach Bowl from Ole Miss fans.
I don't think high demand had anything to do with it. Taking a trip with Uber that is probably 350 miles did.

I still don't know if I believe this story. He didn't wake up or have to piss or anything in 5 hours in a car? I mean I understand being passed out drunk, but still. This story seems fishy to me. I'm pretty sure the Uber drivers can only stay within certain areas. I highly doubt they are allowed to make 5 hour trips.

froginaustin

The complainers to the newspaper said they took local trips.  IIRC.

I definitely remember Uber's comment that extremely high demand drove the fares up, and that they (Uber) would make sure drivers mentioned high-demand fares down the line-- improved training and customer service.

ChrisBradshaw

People are idiots. That is a decent fare to go that far. Remember the driver has to then drive back those 5 hours so that's a 10 hour drive for him. Uber is great and it does disclose what your fair should be or if the demand is higher at a particular surge time.
If you want to save $20 off your first ride then use code q9hyl.

I had to use it last week when trying to get to Katy Ice House in Dallas to watch Peach Bowl. Parking sucked so I just used my free ride. Frogs won! It was a great day!

froginaustin

Austin traffic sucks but the city is still compact enough that a "local" trip of more than 20 miles should be rare.

Atlanta, on the other hand, is spread out like Houston or D/FW, or so I'm told.

DubaiFrog

Frogs On A Plane said:
I don't think high demand had anything to do with it. Taking a trip with Uber that is probably 350 miles did.

On New years eve we got hit with peak pricing even after we left the party at 11:30 to try and avoid it. Still an $80 5 mile ride for 4 super drunk people is much cheaper than a DUI

Reptilian

According to Gordo's Corner, he was actually delivered to his hotel in Atlanta, The Ritz, but the fare was based on the address he entered. My guess is he got a refund. Gordon sounded pretty confident.

Hunt Together

froginaustin said:

The guy took a ride from Atlanta to Mississippi.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
DubaiFrog said:

On New years eve we got hit with peak pricing even after we left the party at 11:30 to try and avoid it. Still an $80 5 mile ride for 4 super drunk people is much cheaper than a DUI
Yeah, I've been hit with peak pricing as well, but nothing close to this. I think a mistake was made on pricing and this story of going from ATL to Oxford never happened. After all the fake receipt stories we see, I am going to reserve judgment on this.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
Reptilian said:
According to Gordo's Corner, he was actually delivered to his hotel in Atlanta, The Ritz, but the fare was based on the address he entered. My guess is he got a refund. Gordon sounded pretty confident.
This sounds like it is more than likey what happened...

FBallFan123

I remember watching the local Atlanta news before the game saying Lyft would cap their NYE their pricing at 400%....and that Uber would not.