• The KillerFrogs

OkState v TCU After Game Takeaways

Realtorfrog

Positives
1. Solid win for TCU beating a ranked opponent on the road especially considering it was OkState in Stillwater which we have had trouble with in the past.

2. Special teams and Jonathon Song did a good job today and cleaned up the mistakes from last week which was a big factor in the win.

3. Despite having Hicks out, the running game was effective with Anderson having career numbers and Sewo and Snell providing the occasional help.

4. Reagor had a nice game today and looks to increasingly be a factor in the offense.

5. Banogu again showed flashes and the rest of the defense did a good job of tackling in space. Stoner was largely a non-factor in the OkState offense and despite giving up a big bomb early, the defense held up well enough against the long ball. Special extra credit to the 2nd and 3rd levels for limiting OkState's high powered offense.

Negatives
1. The lucky breaks again went our way. We had several fumbles that were recovered by us and dodged a couple other kinds of mistakes one with a surprise hike by the center and a couple of others where OL were pushed into Hill's path causing a sack. Great to get the breaks but need to find a way to reduce the bounces. RBs and Hill when he runs needs to secure the ball. In past weeks, it was with our receivers but we can't assume this won't hurt us at some point. Need to reduce the opportunities.

2. Considering how bad OkState's OL really has been decimated, the DL did not get as much of a pass rush as we should. You would have expected more giving the chances they had. OkState was limited somewhat in their passing game so it is hard to know how well we did defensively today. I feel like we are going to need more to get after OU and any other tough OL teams.

3. TCU OL needs to find a way to keep improving. Especially in the 1st half, Hill was rattled somewhat and they were not giving him enough time to look down field. Also, the push we have seen in prior weeks, was not there today for the run game. To challenge OU and UT's defenses, we need to keep improving. KSU will be a good test in this regard too and they are next up.

4. Hill and Cumbie need to keep finding plays that can work well especially in the short and intermediate game. Hill is good at some things and not at others. Need to keeping finding ways to manage him but also be pushing him to expand his game each week. We are going to need him to make some plays he is having trouble with right now to keep this offense going.

5. Porter had a tough game today and it is hard to understand why. I would be pushing for TCU to give someone else a shot while he keeps working on his game. Hill seemed uncomfortable passing to him and Porter seemed to have trouble finding his rhythm. Hopefully, the light comes on for him but I would start focusing elsewhere as getting just a little more production and experience from another young receiver might be huge in a few weeks.

6. Going to the shell offense of basic run plays after Orr's interception almost cost us today. We need to get to the point where the offense can go win the game for us and they trust Hill and company to go do that. GP's tendencies will always be to rely on his coaching and defense but in the Big12, we need to be good enough on offense where the offense will roll out there and finish the game and not be afraid to throw the ball to do it when they are keying on the run even in the shadow of our end zone. Maybe we just aren't there yet to risk it but we will need to take that next step to beat the OUs and other great teams.
Agree with all the positives but only #6 of your " negatives". We did get way too conservative which made the game real interesting.

Limey Frog

Agree with all the positives but only #6 of your " negatives". We did get way too conservative which made the game real interesting.

Yeah, I was screaming for a play-action pass on first down when we were backed up against the goal-line. I know we waned to kill clock, but at that point what we needed most of all was first downs. Hard to get those when you let the other team know that you've already eliminated 90% of your playbook.

cdsfrog

Agree on Porter bad game. Hate prevent the win game calls.

Otherwise so many positives. I mean everywhere.

10-1 good vs bad. We just beat a team by double digits that 95+% of the country thought we were gonna lose to..on the road.

froginmn

Positives
5. Banogu again showed flashes and the rest of the defense did a good job of tackling in space. Stoner was largely a non-factor in the OkState offense and despite giving up a big bomb early, the defense held up well enough against the long ball. Special extra credit to the 2nd and 3rd levels for limiting OkState's high powered offense.
So this is as close as you come to pointing out the job our defensive backfield did?

The blanket coverage they had in several plays was phenomenal. The announcers pointed it out at least a couple times, that Rudolph, despite time in the pocket, looked around and saw five receivers all in tight coverage.

Really surprised that nobody has mentioned that. Our DB's look really good.

In other words, TCU can never really excel in your book because, no matter how much we dominate, you're just going to move back the goal posts a little further so that we can never really cross the goal line.

I'm so thankful you're not a TCU coach. I can't imagine an approach to game analysis that would be any more demoralizing to our players. You'd just suck all the air right out of the room and leave them gasping.
Well, there's pretty good evidence that this is exactly what GP does. And from a sports psychology standpoint, it's a tried and true method.

That being said, it's not a good look from a fan right after a big win.

ThisIsOurTime

So this is as close as you come to pointing out the job our defensive backfield did?

The blanket coverage they had in several plays was phenomenal. The announcers pointed it out at least a couple times, that Rudolph, despite time in the pocket, looked around and saw five receivers all in tight coverage.

Really surprised that nobody has mentioned that. Our DB's look really good.

It is funny that so many people got worked up about what I wrote here especially after a win. I just wrote the thoughts that came to my mind when I watched the game. Certainly not an exhaustive list nor was it intended to be. But the irrationality of some fans here is amazing. It seems to know no bounds. Hopefully, everyone made it home safe and is having a good Sunday.

P

purplePPO

Yeah, I was screaming for a play-action pass on first down when we were backed up against the goal-line. I know we waned to kill clock, but at that point what we needed most of all was first downs. Hard to get those when you let the other team know that you've already eliminated 90% of your playbook.

I understand your desires but after the INT. on what I believe was the previous series by K.H. the coaches did not want to be that aggressive and take a chance. I don't blame them. It worked out though.

razor488

My Golden Retriever did not approve of the end of game prevent defense

U09AgsAy1QER7YgOYvtb5ibnOVw7K25ar2OyKjLGjTZVDt_w7KOhJsI4Vcoia3QcK_fX-9DIhbLhIm4EtiC7Fwiqpleb2GX3xdmfpPbvABe8DjLPLaS-umWDE6sLKCnm_PktsfotXlIuPwOxb8lEZwff0zJ9UCwg96d6xFwV_WAGjgRzfI_6hO4k1ZPfjgAnOuGfzZnLlXiyeC02-D-ZMUJxc-ZrppdZhvcPhJXPdX8fo00oP4k0T4ugbyr47eJlXRCe1FQXew6P5tTB9EtF6Y0GhQWzz5MyPYmFscJGhYzjg-f-cDG8sfmtO3NSeNOqLHILu0UJczsnmSbZTXfQm1DLzTiSf0oJWOSxhvn2RolT5T1_ZMcHG--3mPJU2FOtUSaWDl-VCVACqMkm7ot9hh-2myRiwf3WnqoTUYYYXLcRnXMWBEYbL4Mtx_zE_H1fQK_-Uk-s7qP6gJn-kfj3AI2J4YUhV2_yCXf-LdqbskREf_8xrPmqTeD1wiTDSxLYTtKJiYgin_ER-2EGUM43TW89oG4cY4sicFpQGSSNHW1VFVbmxqezuyCVoReo-Ily3fR3N31gdxpPHnMkp9Wwfx1vVKKXADyYpL5L=w1279-h960-no

SnoSki

Agree on Porter bad game. Hate prevent the win game calls.

Otherwise so many positives. I mean everywhere.

10-1 good vs bad. We just beat a team by double digits that 95+% of the country thought we were gonna lose to..on the road.
A number of previews I read/listened to this week said something along the lines of "yeah tcu is better but honestly osu should cover easily. This game is not one really worth watching." (Looking at you, solid verbal podcast)

Boonescabanaboy

Well here we are. Random thoughts from a hungover Cowboy fan.

Good game for the Frogs. Your coaches had a plan to stop a team that's not easy to stop, and executed it.

OSU still can't seem to stand too much love from the media. It's time to cut the stupid mullet, not cute anymore. If it ever was. Need to be business in the front, and back.

I thought we got screwed on that call at the goal line, but the better team still won anyway.

This series between these 2 teams is building a tradition of one team not living up to potential every year. This was our turn.

We may get another shot at you guys in Dallas at the end of the year, but not unless we fix some things in a hurry.

Please beat OU. I mean, freakin Baylor almost did.

razor488

Regarding the call at the goal line, I think the review would have let it stand had the ruling on the field been no TD. It was too close to overturn since the video evidence wasn't conclusive.

Ron Swanson

Regarding the call at the goal line, I think the review would have let it stand had the ruling on the field been no TD. It was too close to overturn since the video evidence wasn't conclusive.

Agree. It looked like it was a fumble when they showed that one freeze frame, but that’s because they froze it a little bit before the farthest point the ball got. On the slow Mo replay it looks like the ball got to right at the goal line, and if it was not at the goal line, I don’t think you could conclusively say that it didn’t touch it. It was the closest I’ve ever seen

Chico Dusty

Agree. It looked like it was a fumble when they showed that one freeze frame, but that’s because they froze it a little bit before the farthest point the ball got. On the slow Mo replay it looks like the ball got to right at the goal line, and if it was not at the goal line, I don’t think you could conclusively say that it didn’t touch it. It was the closest I’ve ever seen

Yeah - that was intense. I was pleasantly surprised when they confirmed it. That could have been a disastrous turn. Also, I got a kick out of #44 coming in on the package - with no name on his jersey. Anyone know who that was?