• The KillerFrogs

Okay Coaches, lets learn from mistakes...these things don't work:

Froggy Style

It's okay to have a few brain farts and let two teams you're playing better than come back and win, but let's make sure we take these things out of the playbook:

1. Shovel pass play. It is so easy to diagnose as Robinson is running straight to his left with no option other than to flip it to the RB. It worked once...and will NEVER WORK AGAIN. Let's dump this play...and after the Ohio State game, I thought this was a given. Apparently not.
2. Going to extreme conservatism after getting a three point lead. It allows the other teams to stay in the game, and eventually wears down our defense. Win by one is fine, but if you let the other team hang around, you're going to lose by 7...or 15.
3. QB sneak after getting down to the 1 yd line. We lose a yard on this play every time. I'm okay with running to the line and doing a quick running play...but lining up under center with only one play in your arsenal is just as much of a tell as the stupid shovel pass play.
4. No more punting when you need two scores and under 4 minutes to play. Our defensive stats just don't matter...at all.

Froggy Style

Cumbie's Shovel Passes are equivalent to Schultz's short side option.

Both plays never worked after the first time.
I'd say the short side would occasionally work as there was actually an option for the QB to run. With this stupid play, the RB is in front, clogging up any option to run. It's just a big suck and 99% of everyone knew this...so Cumbie should too.

netty2424

Every time we run the option, it's hard to watch. Spacing is off, angle seems flat, pitch is scary, and the pitch is seemingly always too late. I could do without seeing that play again.

Moose Stuff

Not really things that don’t work, but I have a few questions.....

Why didn’t Daniels play more yesterday?

Is DA 100% and if so why doesn’t he get more touches?

Are we trying to redshirt Demercado? Why doesn’t he play more?

Where is Kennedy Snell?

Where is Wes Harris? Is he hurt?

There was quite a bit of buzz on Stephens and Hunt, why are we not seeing either?

Do we have a reporter who could actually ask these questions???

Last edited:

Are we trying to redshirt Demercado? What doesn’t he play more?

Where is Kennedy Snell?

There was quite a bit of buzz on Stephens and Hunt, why are we not seeing either?

All good questions. I think we already know the answer to the last one is a no. Why that is would be my question. The coach may not be willing to elaborate but it shouldn't stop the inquiry from being made.

BigPurple87

It's okay to have a few brain farts and let two teams you're playing better than come back and win, but let's make sure we take these things out of the playbook:

1. Shovel pass play. It is so easy to diagnose as Robinson is running straight to his left with no option other than to flip it to the RB. It worked once...and will NEVER WORK AGAIN. Let's dump this play...and after the Ohio State game, I thought this was a given. Apparently not.
2. Going to extreme conservatism after getting a three point lead. It allows the other teams to stay in the game, and eventually wears down our defense. Win by one is fine, but if you let the other team hang around, you're going to lose by 7...or 15.
3. QB sneak after getting down to the 1 yd line. We lose a yard on this play every time. I'm okay with running to the line and doing a quick running play...but lining up under center with only one play in your arsenal is just as much of a tell as the stupid shovel pass play.
4. No more punting when you need two scores and under 4 minutes to play. Our defensive stats just don't matter...at all.

How about no more playing offense like a pickup touch football game where every player runs their own choice of offense

Smooth42

Where is Kennedy Snell?

All logical questions that should not require a cloud of secrecy.... like these are the nations top secrets! LOL. I'm beginning to wonder if Gary is just holding on way too tight here!

Eight

Where is Kennedy Snell?

all good questions.

not sure what daniels could have done against ohio state to warrant more time so it has to be an issue of practice

agree with the questions on younger players getting time, but i really can't recall when info like that was free flowing from gary's program, he will throw things out in press conferences about people playing, but then doesn't answer a direct why question

gary being gary which is nothing new

Eight

here is a question i would like to hear gary answer.

early in the game you ran a corner blitz that left ridwan isolated on johnson resulting in a big play for texas. did they impact your decision in the second half to not come after sam in passing situations and instead just rush 3 players and spy with 2

HG73

here is a question i would like to hear gary answer.

early in the game you ran a corner blitz that left ridwan isolated on johnson resulting in a big play for texas. did they impact your decision in the second half to not come after sam in passing situations and instead just rush 3 players and spy with 2
While we're at it can we add NEVER RUSH 3 to the list? Never works ever. Thanks.

jake102

In regards to Daniels, he started the game and was out of position twice and quickly got benched. No idea why he wasn’t inserted after Lewis got picked on.

Of note, Gladney has a poor game also

Slomo37

Add the wide receiver screen. It worked some but I was cringing every time; both OSU and UT were jumping it. The downside of someone jumping it and picking it off is too much. Almost a guaranteed pick-six vs a gain of ~5-8 yards.

y2kFrog

Add the wide receiver screen. It worked some but I was cringing every time; both OSU and UT were jumping it. The downside of someone jumping it and picking it off is too much. Almost a guaranteed pick-six vs a gain of ~5-8 yards.

They need to fake the screen and slip one of the blockers on a go route. It was there yesterday if they had it in the playbook.

TCU_91

No more "wild frog".

Until further notice this is to be removed from your playbook Cumbie.

(This INCLUDES empty backfield on third and long!)