• The KillerFrogs

Ohio State QB wearing “33” this season in honor of Sammy Baugh

dawg

@Big Frog II - Baugh wore 33 for the Redskins. Maybe 45 is not allowed for QB now?
Archie Griffin, the only player to win the Heisman twice, wore "45" at tOSU. I'd imagine his number is retired or in a status like "5" is at TCU (not officially retired but won't be issued again).

Interesting that a kid born in Arizona and who went to HS in Utah would honor Slingin Sammy. I wonder what the story is behind his choice to do so.

Last edited:

tcudoc

Baugh was so great as QB for the Commanders. I remember so well my grandfather always bragging about how Baugh was the greatest QB in the history of the Commanders and maybe the whole NFL. My grandfather loved the Commanders so much that he was buried in a Washington Commanders jersey.

froginaustin

Baugh was so great as QB for the Commanders. I remember so well my grandfather always bragging about how Baugh was the greatest QB in the history of the Commanders and maybe the whole NFL. My grandfather loved the Commanders so much that he was buried in a Washington Commanders jersey.

Not "Redskins"?

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Archie Griffin, the only player to win the Heisman twice, wore "45" at tOSU. I'd imagine his number is retired or in a status like "5" is at TCU (not officially retired but won't be issued again).

Interesting that a kid born in Arizona and who went to HS in Utah would honor Slingin Sammy. I wonder what the story is behind his choice to do so.
Good catch

Horny4TCU

Wonder if he is any good? Think he'd transfer to play where Sammy played? If so, I'd love to hear Ohio State Transfer all season long.

Wonder if he is any good? Think he'd transfer to play where Sammy played? If so, I'd love to hear Ohio State Transfer all season long.
“But of all the numbers out there, why did he choose 33?

"The reason behind it was Sammy Baugh," Brown said. "He was the first quarterback inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1963 with the Washington Football Team, so he's a legend. That's the original quarterback number in my opinion, so I wanted to wear the original quarterback number."”

OICU812

You seem really plugged in to the situation, so here’s a question for you: Since all us racist fans were also lazy and apparently phonetically-challenged in referring to them as the “Skins,” will we now continue that path such that they will be casually known as the “Ders”?

CryptoMiner

From Traces of Texas

The Arcane Texas Fact of the Day:

Robert Duvall patterned his mannerisms, voice, and gestures for the part of Gus McCrae in "Lonesome Dove" from Sammy Baugh, the hall-of-fame quarterback from Temple, Texas.

Said Duvall, "About a month before we started filming, I looked up a classmate, a rancher near Rotan, and he took me to see Sammy Baugh. I thought, 'Wow.' My dad had taken me to see him play with the Washington Redskins when I was ten years old. But he must have been seventy when I met him, and he didn’t even know who I was. We talked for hours about football and his life, and he just seemed to me like an old, tall Texas Ranger. So that’s where I got my gestures and voice and everything (for Gus McCrae), watching and listening to Sammy Baugh."

Those people in Washington are just a bunch of Commies!