• The KillerFrogs

Officiating philosophies, a long rant.

I have to admit I’m an old-school official, probably caused by my old age, and I’m not thrilled about how games are being officiated today. Obviously, things change over the years, caused partly by the athletes themselves being so much better, but also from outside influences such as fans, coaches and possibly the media.

It’s just one man’s opinion, but the “just let ‘em play” has gotten out of hand in the past few years. For example, DPI and OPI no-calls have gotten ridiculous under the guise of hand fighting. If, by using his hands the player affects the ability of an opponent to make a play, it should be a foul. However, that isn’t what supervisors or coaches want to be called. If it’s just a little push, then it’s not deemed to be enough of a “train wreck” to call. Would it make games longer? Probably.

While I’m ranting, the “holding” by wide receivers is so subjective it is nuts. Officials are taught that as long as the defensive player is kept in front of the blocker, it’s perfectly fine to grasp the jersey and restrict, especially if the hands don’t get outside of the frame of the body. However, if the defensive player can pull away from the hold, and there is still restriction, then it may or may not get called. It’s a coin flip as this is just not consistently called. Better yet, why don’t they install rock/paper/scissors to decide? Again, supervisors and coaches want it to be a train wreck before it gets called. Holding by the interior line? Give me a break! Nobody really knows what that is any longer, but it better be BIG or it’s not supposed to be flagged. Could it be called on every single play. Absolutely!

Replay? OMG. The equipment these guys have to work with is 1,000 times better than it used to be. But, the RO’s have been told they need to be perfect, it’s ok if the guys on the field miss a call, but if the play is reviewable by rule, you better not get it wrong, and just to help, there are people in a video center to help! Of course, they sometimes feel they need to interject their opinion, which means they can turn a simple decision into a ruling by committee, which almost always takes twice as long as it should. And, RO’s in the booth, due to the pressure of the position, sometimes decide, or are told by the video center, to shut the play down for a closer look. Twice last night the game was stopped unnecessarily. Why? It was obvious that the line-to-gain had not been made, what idiot made the decision to stop the game?

I, of all people, know how hard it is to be an official. I had a great 48 year career. I can still remember a call I made in a high school game in 1991 that I absolutely blew. It was in a game with Hillcrest High in Dallas. But, I went to the coach and admitted I had blown it. I think he appreciated I did that. But to get back on track, there is a huge shortage of officials. Young people just don’t want to devote the time and effort needed to move up. And, coaches incessant complaining during the game (yes, Sonny, you are a serious offender), fans wanting to physically harm you, and players that disrespect you, it just doesn’t seem to be worth it.

If you read this entire vent, thanks. I had to get some things off my chest. It’s time for me to go back into hibernation.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I have to admit I’m an old-school official, probably caused by my old age, and I’m not thrilled about how games are being officiated today. Obviously, things change over the years, caused partly by the athletes themselves being so much better, but also from outside influences such as fans, coaches and possibly the media.

It’s just one man’s opinion, but the “just let ‘em play” has gotten out of hand in the past few years. For example, DPI and OPI no-calls have gotten ridiculous under the guise of hand fighting. If, by using his hands the player affects the ability of an opponent to make a play, it should be a foul. However, that isn’t what supervisors or coaches want to be called. If it’s just a little push, then it’s not deemed to be enough of a “train wreck” to call. Would it make games longer? Probably.

While I’m ranting, the “holding” by wide receivers is so subjective it is nuts. Officials are taught that as long as the defensive player is kept in front of the blocker, it’s perfectly fine to grasp the jersey and restrict, especially if the hands don’t get outside of the frame of the body. However, if the defensive player can pull away from the hold, and there is still restriction, then it may or may not get called. It’s a coin flip as this is just not consistently called. Better yet, why don’t they install rock/paper/scissors to decide? Again, supervisors and coaches want it to be a train wreck before it gets called. Holding by the interior line? Give me a break! Nobody really knows what that is any longer, but it better be BIG or it’s not supposed to be flagged. Could it be called on every single play. Absolutely!

Replay? OMG. The equipment these guys have to work with is 1,000 times better than it used to be. But, the RO’s have been told they need to be perfect, it’s ok if the guys on the field miss a call, but if the play is reviewable by rule, you better not get it wrong, and just to help, there are people in a video center to help! Of course, they sometimes feel they need to interject their opinion, which means they can turn a simple decision into a ruling by committee, which almost always takes twice as long as it should. And, RO’s in the booth, due to the pressure of the position, sometimes decide, or are told by the video center, to shut the play down for a closer look. Twice last night the game was stopped unnecessarily. Why? It was obvious that the line-to-gain had not been made, what idiot made the decision to stop the game?

I, of all people, know how hard it is to be an official. I had a great 48 year career. I can still remember a call I made in a high school game in 1991 that I absolutely blew. It was in a game with Hillcrest High in Dallas. But, I went to the coach and admitted I had blown it. I think he appreciated I did that. But to get back on track, there is a huge shortage of officials. Young people just don’t want to devote the time and effort needed to move up. And, coaches incessant complaining during the game (yes, Sonny, you are a serious offender), fans wanting to physically harm you, and players that disrespect you, it just doesn’t seem to be worth it.

If you read this entire vent, thanks. I had to get some things off my chest. It’s time for me to go back into hibernation.
Good stuff, Zebra.

Realtorfrog

The no-call on the two point conversion play where the UT DB put his arms completely around our receiver, preventing him from releasing to the thrown pass in the end zone. I was in the stands and watched the replays in the stadium. If that is a legit call, not sure I can maintain interest.
It was obvious he at least had an agenda on that play!

Brog

Maybe we don't know it but officials may be on an NIL process now. Before the game, which team and/or its supporters pay more into the Back Judge's NIL? That team gets the close calls.

arlingtonbell

Love your analysis on officiating as always well thought out and presented. I share your passion for officiating and agree with many of your points so nothing really to add here except Sonny has GOT TO GET HIS SIDELINE UNDER CONTROL!! HEs terrible and already has the worst rep of any coach in the B12 (I know this as fact!) but when I have to tell a staffer to STHU from getting in the ear of an official and cursing thats too much and I dont see that on other sidelines to that extent. Guys that never play feel ok to cuss out officials on the sideline. I needed Aleve after the dang game just too much

4 Oaks Frog

$$$$$$
If you think that doesn’t happen, you’re nuts
Hey @Zebra Frog…Did you ever have anyone offer you $$$, or any other kind of inducement to call a game maker in a particular way? If not, do you know of that type of offer being made to any of your fellow officials? Just curious to know if it is as common as many might think. Thanks for your insight!…

arlingtonbell

Hey @Zebra Frog…Did you ever have anyone offer you $$$, or any other kind of inducement to call a game maker in a particular way? If not, do you know of that type of offer being made to any of your fellow officials? Just curious to know if it is as common as many might think. Thanks for your insight!…
Damn these guys make 4 grand every saturday it would have to be one helluva inducement

BleedNPurple

The no-call on the two point conversion play where the UT DB put his arms completely around our receiver, preventing him from releasing to the thrown pass in the end zone. I was in the stands and watched the replays in the stadium. If that is a legit call, not sure I can maintain interest.
My Buddy (a UT fan) said it wasn’t catchable. I contend it wasn’t passable because the defender had our receiver in a bear hug off the line of scrimmage and Walzed him out of the end zone with no ability to ever get open or to any thrown ball. I think Hoover threw is such as to draw the penalty. That PI was blatant yet not called.

Dogfrog

My Buddy (a UT fan) said it wasn’t catchable. I contend it wasn’t passable because the defender had our receiver in a bear hug off the line of scrimmage and Walzed him out of the end zone with no ability to ever get open or to any thrown ball. I think Hoover threw is such as to draw the penalty. That PI was blatant yet not called.
Naw, refs need to stick to calling what players actually do instead of guessing what might have happened had the defender not held him. As you say, no way to know where the receiver would have ended up given the early foul.

drizzle

I've worked basketball for close to 20 years, including many D2/D3 games. Obviously D1 is a different beast, but I have never had such an interaction.

As Zebra said, there is a shortage everywhere in nearly all sports. It's not going to get better at the upper levels if younger people don't get experience working HS games & climbing the ladder.

Not once, ever. And never heard of anybody being approached.

4 Oaks Frog

Not once, ever. And never heard of anybody being approached.
So, that tells me that $$$ being paid to officials by either team or their fans is not a thing. I thought that would be the case. I guess then we should shut up about influence peddling in college officiating.
So then, why so many bad calls, and why does so often (even when you have no dog in the hunt) it seem that the calls or lack of calls favor one team over the other? Is it human nature for a ref to favor, even subconsciously, one team over another? Why are there so many problems and questions about the officiating of a college football game?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Heard a report recently on the dilution of quality of game officials caused by fewer people entering the field and DEI to hire females and minorities over potentially more qualified people.

East Coast

Tier 1
The problem was Savion didn't even make an attempt to come back to the ball, giving the official an out to call it "non catchable". The call should have been defensive holding at the very least. But that specific dude has screwed us multiple times the last couple of years.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I have a couple of vintage game programs, and they list the officials' names as well as where they went to college. That would be an interesting bit of info to have on the currrent crop of officials.

CardFrog

I have a couple of vintage game programs, and they list the officials' names as well as where they went to college. That would be an interesting bit of info to have on the currrent crop of officials.
and if it includes how much money they have riding on that particular game that would be good to know as well