• The KillerFrogs

Official Rose Bowl Uniform Thread

LVfrog

I'll probably get ripped but I like the purple socks.

Should we all now wear black to the Rose Bowl? If we're in purple it'll look like our colors are faded. I'm just sayin.

Well then, we're utterly screwed. Because I've been led to believe from several posters that TCU only wins ballgames because players are excited about the color of their uniforms. Does the Rose Bowl allow forfeits?

I guess you didn't pick up on my sarcasm (or I did a poor job sarcasiming it up). What the player was disappointed in is that the helmets aren't black. He actually wanted MORE black in the uniform. So screw us...we obviously can't relate to what players like these days. Let them wear whatever they want.

I used to hate what Oregon does, but now I "get it". Everyone college student I talk to loves what Oregon and TCU do. It's just part of their generation. And it's actually a recruiting tool - and a good one at that. If Nike giving us all this attention makes the players "look" or "feel" cool, then so be it. High schoolers will see that and say "dam(n), I want to wear those". And that's okay with me.

That said, it's the Rose Bowl. I was hoping for something a little more traditional and old school mixed in with Nike's technology. Oh well. Like I said, screw us...we obviously aren't the ones that matter. I'll still be in the stands cheering for the team with "TCU" on the helmets.

Portland Frog

Merch frog I agree it's all about the players here and what they want. I do have to ask a general question though: What do players want at those schools with traditional uniforms? I don't think Florida, Bama, Penn State, Michigan, USC are losing recruits because their uniforms are old school. Do recruits just not care at those places? If do care do they just overlook the uniforms and accept the traditional look and move on?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
What in the world was wrong with the all-purple Pro Combat Unis we wore earlier in the year?

Besides, if they want flashy, why not just mount strobe lights in the helmets?

Wretched...

Merch frog I agree it's all about the players here and what they want. I do have to ask a general question though: What do players want at those schools with traditional uniforms? I don't think Florida, Bama, Penn State, Michigan, USC are losing recruits because their uniforms are old school. Do recruits just not care at those places? If do care do they just overlook the uniforms and accept the traditional look and move on?

It's a recruiting TOOL, not a difference maker. It's just something else the coaches can throw out there about why it's fun to play at TCU. "Look at all the love Nike is giving us, can't you see yourself throwing on one of their new uniforms?". There is no history or tradition with our uniforms, so it's not like we're Michigan dropping their helmet stickers. Or Notre Dame going with green helmets. Our tradition is new. It started with Pat Sullivan when he switched to the arch TCU helmets. So from 1993 until now - there's not a lot of uniform history there for us to get all worked up about.

Sure, they could add more purple, but the players obviously like the black. Let it go.

JugbandFrog

Agree on both. That's probably my favorite show right now. B/w his wife and Ruxin's wife, that's just icing on top of the hilarity cake.
The girl in the Halloween episode in the Brownie's uniform. her legs went on for days. although, something about the commish's wife dancing in that get up was quite a turn on.

To be honest, hot women, like our Showgirls can wear whatever they want.
3052671.jpg

WhaleBurger

I guess you didn't pick up on my sarcasm (or I did a poor job sarcasiming it up). What the player was disappointed in is that the helmets aren't black. He actually wanted MORE black in the uniform. So screw us...we obviously can't relate to what players like these days. Let them wear whatever they want.

I used to hate what Oregon does, but now I "get it". Everyone college student I talk to loves what Oregon and TCU do. It's just part of their generation. And it's actually a recruiting tool - and a good one at that. If Nike giving us all this attention makes the players "look" or "feel" cool, then so be it. High schoolers will see that and say "dam(n), I want to wear those". And that's okay with me.

That said, it's the Rose Bowl. I was hoping for something a little more traditional and old school mixed in with Nike's technology. Oh well. Like I said, screw us...we obviously aren't the ones that matter. I'll still be in the stands cheering for the team with "TCU" on the helmets.

This is truth!

HickoryFlameFrog

It's a recruiting TOOL, not a difference maker. It's just something else the coaches can throw out there about why it's fun to play at TCU. "Look at all the love Nike is giving us, can't you see yourself throwing on one of their new uniforms? Looks a lot like your dad's old Raider uniform".

Point of clarification underlined.
biggrin.gif

ShreveFrog

[font="arial]I emailed Del Conte my thoughts on the new uniforms and within half an hour he replied to my email with his cell phone number and told me to call him. I did.

He assured me that there was more purple on the uniform than it looks like, he said that there are several reversible flaps on the uniform that are black on one side and purple on the other and that they look very similar to the Oregon State uniforms once all the flaps are reversed and the players have all the pieces on. He also said, interestingly enough, that Nike originally got really into the whole
[/font]"horned frog squirting blood from its eyes" thing and that Nike originally wanted the uniform to be red with more red accents.

So yeah, the coaches and players all love them and there is more purple than it looks like on the uniform. I feel better.

Plus I'm really impressed with Del Conte... this is the second time he's talked to me personally on the phone about an issue.

Well, that man could sell ice to frickin' Eskimos I guess. Flaps?

SFA Frog

The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that they don't incorporate any of our school color. Call me old fashioned, but I feel like uniforms should incorporate the color of the school into the uniform.

Maybe someone should bring that up.

I guess we should also get Nike to write a new fight song or may we should change the words to

Hail black and silver flag, whose heroes never lag...

and the chant to

Silver, Black, Horned Frogs Lack...(purple in their uniform)

yurintroubl

[font="arial][size=3]I emailed Del Conte my thoughts on the new uniforms and within half an hour he replied to my email with his cell phone number and told me to call him. I did.

He assured me that there was [size="4"]more purple on the uniform than it looks like, he said that there are several reversible flaps on the uniform that are black on one side and purple on the other and that they look very similar to the Oregon State uniforms once all the flaps are reversed and the players have all the pieces on.[/size] He also said, interestingly enough, that Nike originally got really into the whole [/size][/font]"horned frog squirting blood from its eyes" thing and that Nike originally wanted the uniform to be red with more red accents.

So yeah, the coaches and players all love them and there is more purple than it looks like on the uniform. I feel better.

This is excellent info that I think a lot of people are skimming over.

Personally - I thought they looked great on TV from inside the Death Star vs. Oregon State... Can't wait to see these uniforms in natural sunlight.

joefrog91

Well then, we're utterly screwed. Because I've been led to believe from several posters that TCU only wins ballgames because players are excited about the color of their uniforms. Does the Rose Bowl allow forfeits?

And another thing... look at the video from News 5 another poster linked above. Look at Boise and Florida's uniforms. Those guys will be wearing their school colors. A question to all you guys raving about the attention Nike is giving TCU. Why do Boise and Florida get the same attention AND get to play in their school colors? What does Nike have against TCU playing in purple and white? Apparently their people who work on our super cool, extra special uniforms don't like TCU in purple and white. I'm personally annoyed and somewhat offended by that. Why would anyone be pleased at such an insult?
I guess they don't like Oregon either when they make them wear grey uniforms.

HickoryFlameFrog

With the exception of the white/black frosted helmet, red stripes, thick line down the middle, lizard print on the numbers, "Horned Frogs" on the chest and white lizard print pants. Yeah, just like 'em.
Not your dad. Rather, in the context of coaches making a pitch to a prospective recruit.
Lets play word association:
Former TCU/Oakland Raider :
Potential TCU recruit :
Now imagine a coach saying to that recruit: "Look at all the love Nike is giving us, can't you see yourself throwing on one of their new uniforms? Looks a lot like your dad's old Raider uniform".

JugbandFrog

Hey all, vocal opponent of the uniforms here. Do not worry. Purple will be represented. Lets move back over to being angry about the lies ESPN continues to spew. GO FROGS!