• The KillerFrogs

Nova on there way to BE?

mtmedlin

It is Gary Patterson's position, which would mean the TCU Administration's position, that the Big East stay at nine schools and play an eight game round robin schedule with four at home and four away. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, TCU's recent success came by winning conference championships in a nine team league, the MWC.

You shouldn't be upset if posters on this site react accordingly, negatively or perhaps unrulely to any talk of conference expansion. As far as most Horned Frog fans are concerned, BE expansion is over via LHCGP.

And yes, TCU doesn't have a vote in the BE right now. This is just one more reason the school doesn't want expansion at this time.

Go Frogs!

You know, I have wondered if that was one reason expansion slowed dow. I think its only proper to have all members make this decision. TCU is one of us, even if you arent playing against us yet.
If expanding is a difference of million on our contract, then we will do what we have to but if we can get a clause that states that we have the right to renegotiate if 3 additional teams are added, then I hope we wait. Too much is going to happen in the next 3 years and if the BE waits, I really think better teams will become available. For now, our AQ is solid and our conference is stronger then we have been for a long time. I just hope frog fans understand what BE fans have been through. We desperately cling to anything that makes us stronger. For years we have been on edge that we could wake up and not have a conference. Its a little PTSD.

I hope we do stay at 8, but from what has been said about maximizing revenue, I really think it will go to 9.

Big Frog II

You know, I have wondered if that was one reason expansion slowed dow. I think its only proper to have all members make this decision. TCU is one of us, even if you arent playing against us yet.
If expanding is a difference of million on our contract, then we will do what we have to but if we can get a clause that states that we have the right to renegotiate if 3 additional teams are added, then I hope we wait. Too much is going to happen in the next 3 years and if the BE waits, I really think better teams will become available. For now, our AQ is solid and our conference is stronger then we have been for a long time. I just hope frog fans understand what BE fans have been through. We desperately cling to anything that makes us stronger. For years we have been on edge that we could wake up and not have a conference. Its a little PTSD.

I hope we do stay at 8, but from what has been said about maximizing revenue, I really think it will go to 9.
Isn't the Big East 9 with TCU?

mtmedlin

Isn't the Big East 9 with TCU?

Yes, well have 9 teams but we were talking about number of In conference games. Talk is that the BE will go to 9 conference games in order to maximize revenue but I agree with many posters that 8 games helps keep a stronger OOC schedule and rivalries.

Scarface

Too much is going to happen in the next 3 years and if the BE waits, I really think better teams will become available. For now, our AQ is solid and our conference is stronger then we have been for a long time.

Your above position would be TCU's also.

Furthur, once TCU has a BE vote it will be even harder for the conference to expand. TCU had a lot to do with the MWC staying at nine during our time there.

Also, TCU has no interest in a conference break up. TCU seems to be happy with the BE just the way it is. TCU has a lot of work to do in men's basketball and much has been said around Fort Worth/Dallas about how the 17 member Big East should help with our perception in recruiting. We are already starting to see it.

Go Frogs!

HG73

I would imagine that once we have signed on with whichever network gives us the best deal then that network would be our partner in expansion. If an opportunity to expand presented itself, it would be our network partner that would tell us how much (if any) the expansion candidate would add to the value of our TV deal. Like what ESPN told the Big12 a year ago, when that conference was unraveling and ESPN told Beeebeeee that they would honor the present contract for two fewer teams. Seems like it would be in the network's best interests to increase our contract prior to expiration if the money was there in the form of a new member who brought lots of TV sets with them.

Scarface

Yes, well have 9 teams but we were talking about number of In conference games. Talk is that the BE will go to 9 conference games in order to maximize revenue but I agree with many posters that 8 games helps keep a stronger OOC schedule and rivalries.

It would almost take a miracle to win a football championship in any league when having five conference road games when 5 other teams only have four.

Three home and four road games is a whole lot better than four home and five road games.

Of course, four and four is perfect.

Do BE teams really only want to contend for a football championship once every two years? That would stink for the players.

Based on their latest offer, ESPN doesn't seem to have a big problem with nine teams and an eight game schedule.

Go Frogs!

YCBJ Frog

Ill give you credit and say that your the third most popular team in Texas (and that might be a bit high)

That's funny, coming from a fan of the 4th most popular D1 team in Florida, finishing ahead of only FAU, FIU, and UCF (unless I'm forgetting someone else).

asleep003

Scareface... agree that 4and 4(9 teams) or 5and 5(11 teams) where everyone plays one another evenly... Home/Away, makes more sense..

It would almost take a miracle to win a football championship in any league when having five conference road games when 5 other teams only have four.

Three home and four road games is a whole lot better than four home and five road games.

Of course, four and four is perfect.

Do BE teams really only want to contend for a football championship once every two years? That would stink for the players.

Based on their latest offer, ESPN doesn't seem to have a big problem with nine teams and an eight game schedule.

Go Frogs!

However, confused how 3home/4away is "a whole lot better" than 4home/5away ... as % wise it's a bit better(or less disadvantageous) to do the 4/5 scenario ... unless I'm missing something.
Cheers!

Scarface

Scareface... agree that 4 and 4(9 teams) or 5and 5(11 teams) where everyone plays one another evenly. Home/Away, makes more sense.

However, confused how 3home/4away is "a whole lot better" than 4home/5away ... as % wise it's a bit better(or less disadvantageous) to do the 4/5 scenario ... unless I'm missing something.
Cheers!

I was just going on the idea that a nine game conference schedule with five on the road would be a lot more long and gruling than seven games with four on the road.

Also, with seven games you are overcoming seven teams and with nine games you are overcoming nine others to win a conference championship. Tougher odds with uneven home games!

Go Frogs!

asleep003

I was just going on the idea that a nine game conference schedule with five on the road would be a lot more long and gruling than seven games with four on the road.

Ok... but doesn't each team play 12 total games anyway ... and need to win as many as possible for a bowl bid, if not the conference title... 'still grueling'... most all teams will have that 1 powder puff game, whether you have 7/8/or 9 conf games.

Also, with seven games you are overcoming seven teams and with nine games you are overcoming nine others to win a conference championship. Tougher odds with uneven home games!

With your previous scenarios... then 3home/4away would be about equal to 4home/4away(one extra game/team to play) would be pretty similar odds then... that is if 3/4 is "a whole lot better" than 4/5(due to 2 more games). That makes reasonable since.

Tougher odds with uneven home games!

Believe it works out the same; one year 3/4 and the next 4/3... disadvantage one and advantaged the next... totally equal over an even number of years.... like 4/4, but better than 4/4 because one less team, that is if you're going to schedule an extra P-Puff. Think the 7 game senario is better.... unless I'm in a very poachable conference like the BE... then 9 conference games feels safer, overall.

Go Frogs!

Cheers!