• The KillerFrogs

not since 1992...

TCUSA

At least we beat UT in 92.

Yep. And at the time, most of us thought that was a good trade. All these youngsters and t-shirt fans have no clue what "losing" means. In fact, we've done a complete about face. I remember when losing was the norm and a win brought almost orgasmic elation. Now, winning is the norm and losing is like a death in the family. Losing all the time makes you look for little victories. I can't tell you how many statistical "W's" I found in the paper on Sunday mornings in the old days. More yards, more first downs, yada yada yada. Hell, even our punting average figured into it. "We really won that game..." Sullivan's last year, I think we went 8-3 if it hadn't been for that pesky scoreboard that showed us at 1-10.

Suffice it to say that I like winning a lot more than losing. But losing has a lot of permutations. There's the kind that's accepted, and there's the kind that sticks in your craw. Thankfully, we've moved on to the latter during Gary's tenure. I think the losses we've had this season will build some character, just like Andy's first season did for that class. Leaders will emerge, a cohesion will develop, and I think we'll have a national championship out of this bunch before it's all said and done. I'm willing to be patient. These kids aren't losers--they have the Frog Factor. Let's give them time.

SouthTexasToad

Yep. And at the time, most of us thought that was a good trade. All these youngsters and t-shirt fans have no clue what "losing" means. In fact, we've done a complete about face. I remember when losing was the norm and a win brought almost orgasmic elation. Now, winning is the norm and losing is like a death in the family. Losing all the time makes you look for little victories. I can't tell you how many statistical "W's" I found in the paper on Sunday mornings in the old days. More yards, more first downs, yada yada yada. Hell, even our punting average figured into it. "We really won that game..." Sullivan's last year, I think we went 8-3 if it hadn't been for that pesky scoreboard that showed us at 1-10.

Suffice it to say that I like winning a lot more than losing. But losing has a lot of permutations. There's the kind that's accepted, and there's the kind that sticks in your craw. Thankfully, we've moved on to the latter during Gary's tenure. I think the losses we've had this season will build some character, just like Andy's first season did for that class. Leaders will emerge, a cohesion will develop, and I think we'll have a national championship out of this bunch before it's all said and done. I'm willing to be patient. These kids aren't losers--they have the Frog Factor. Let's give them time.

I can not imagine what it must have been like to be a fan during the 40 year period of horrid. I applied to TCU in 2001 or 2002 (when as a freshman, I would have been senior to that senior class). My decision was not based on anything football related. In fact, I didn't even know that TCU had changed everything around program wise and was on their 3rd or 4th year of winning. The only time I had noticed anything even appear on the Frog Football radar was in 2005 when I heard the Frogs had won in Norman. I honestly thought it was a fluke. I didn't care about the sport at the time to bother looking further into it.

In 2008, I finally started getting interested in football, and specifically TCU football. I am aware of growing up in a SWC household what TCU was like from the 60's through '95. I vividly remember a UT alum's temper tantrum in '92 when they lost to the Frogs. This was not the same TCU ball that I grew up knowing. This team could win, and had motivation!

It is tough to see losses from where I sit, because I have been spoiled by the success the team has shown since I started getting interested in the game. I know it's not going to be the same as what happened before GP came to town. I know and firmly believe each loss this season will make the team all that much better for the following seasons. I'm thankful that the seniors at least leave with Rose Bowl Rings to make up for this season.

The younger players will get their shot in the years to come. I am firmly committed to this concept. I think their reward will be a crystal football, not a Rose. However, in order for that to happen, they must have a reality check that tells them they aren't entitled to it because of the 2010 team. This is theirs to earn, the hard way. It is just a tough thing to see happen as a fan when all you know are wins.

OmniscienceFrog

Yes, I can remember when the prime magazine to buy for the preseason college football outlook was Penthouse, to see where TCU was in the "Worst 10" list.

Weeks like this are the price you have to pay for success. Right or wrong, you don't really get to enjoy most of the wins that much, because they have become expected, and ANY loss is crushing. I much prefer it this way though.

Frog DJ

Right there with 'ya, TCUSA!

I'm old enough to remember the glory days of Swink, Floyd and Lilly, but suffered through the late '60's as a student.

Growing up a little over a mile from campus I was always a TCU fan, win or lose - and it was almost always the later.

I've told my son (class of '01) how lucky he is to be living during this golden age of Frog football, but many younger fans don't fully appreciate how far the program has progressed.

That's not an effort to talk down to anyone, but we should all be thankful for the revival we're enjoying, and remember no program wins 'em all every year.

Young fans: Please don't misinterpret this as a lecture - just a sense of perspective from a couple of old geezers who have lived through some very depressing seasons, and love TCU football in the 21st Century!

Go Frogs! Do It Now!

Stiff Arm Frog

I agree completely with the sentiments above. Losing to Baylor and SMU made me sick at the time, but in retrospect I think it will give this team character that will benefit them in the long run.

Sort of like the Fiesta Bowl. I'll tell you, that was one long plane ride home. But I'm glad we lost that game, because that loss stuck with the team and motivated them all through the next year. If we hadn't lost the Fiesta Bowl, we probably would not have won the Rose Bowl. And swapping a Fiesta Bowl win over Boise for a Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin is a trade I'll make any time.