• The KillerFrogs

Night game in Ames

frogetaboutit

Some suggestions for places to eat in Ames.
Hickory Park. Huge place, very touristy, Have only eaten there once but the food was good. Good bbq.
Jethro's BBQ. Across the street from Hickory Park. Good bbq and sides. Good burnt ends.
Sweet Caroline's-Downtown.
Boulder Tap House
Dublin Bay Irish Pub & Grill.
Then there are the usual fast food joints and the chains such as Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebees, Texas Roadhouse, Perkins and a variety of fast-food places.
B-Bops is a drive thru burger place that has good burgers and hot dogs. 5 Guys nearby as well.
Good many of the restaurants are on Duff Avenue or right off of it. Places such as Sweet Caroline's are downtown.
Plenty of Mexican food places in town. Wahlburger at Hy-Vee. Nice movie theater in town in the same area as Jethro's and a Books A Million if you are looking to just go have some quiet time to read.
If you have the opportunity to have some Deal's Hard Cider you should give it a try. Family run orchard here in Jefferson that are becoming very well known for their hard cider that comes in a half-dozen or so different varieties.
We have found Ames to be a nice town to spend some time in. Hope to see some of you at the game. We will be seated on the SW side of the stadium in the lower bowl.
Thanks for this! I’ll be there with the wife and a kid. First game in Ames. Seats in Sec. 41.

Some suggestions for places to eat in Ames.
Books A Million if you are looking to just go have some quiet time to read.
giphy.gif

CountryFrog

It's due to MLB playoffs: Fox has two ALDS games on Oct 7, both of which are slated for "Fox or FS1."

Thanks. Still not totally understanding how we get relegated all the way down to FS2 based on a baseball game that would either be on fox or FS1. Unless they're saying that if there's only one baseball game in that time slot then it will be on FS1 and our game will be Fox. Then the only way we end up all the way down on FS2 is if both of those ALDS games are in our same time slot taking both Fox and FS1 at 7 pm.

Purp

Thanks. Still not totally understanding how we get relegated all the way down to FS2 based on a baseball game that would either be on fox or FS1. Unless they're saying that if there's only one baseball game in that time slot then it will be on FS1 and our game will be Fox. Then the only way we end up all the way down on FS2 is if both of those ALDS games are in our same time slot taking both Fox and FS1 at 7 pm.
Option 2 is the situation.

FrogPreacher

Great information here. I've been to Hickory Park a couple times but put the barbecue as average... would you say Jethros is better?

Boulder Tap House was a good stop; I think we just had an appetizer but I want to go back for a meal.

My tickets are in section 40 but I'll probably slide over to 41, which is the visitor section.
I would say that Jethro's is much better.

Purp

Thanks. So it would seem most likely that we'll be on big Fox. I don't have FS2 so I'm going with that thought anyway.
Yeah, I just checked and I'm not sure why this isn't known yet. The wild card series would all end on the 5th if they go 3 games. Both ALDS and NLDS series are scheduled to start on the 7th. My best guess is that they're waiting to see if eastern or western teams are hosting the division series. So if two east coast teams are hosting the ALDS and two west coast teams are hosting the NLDS then both ALDS games that belong to Fox would be played in the same time slot tying up both Fox and FS1. If the AL and NL each have a east and west coast team hosting then Fox will probably carry our game and the baseball games will be in different time slots.

drizzle

FOX/FS2 decision won’t depend on baseball, TCU/ISU is competing against Fresno State/Wyoming.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
There's 4 baseball games that day. 2 ALDS on the fox channels and 2 NLDS on TBS. In years past they spread them out thru the entire day, with one game starting around noon and then the next one around 2-3pm and so on.

If the NL as a more attractive match up than the AL then we could end up on the main fox channel.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Yeah, I just checked and I'm not sure why this isn't known yet. The wild card series would all end on the 5th if they go 3 games. Both ALDS and NLDS series are scheduled to start on the 7th. My best guess is that they're waiting to see if eastern or western teams are hosting the division series. So if two east coast teams are hosting the ALDS and two west coast teams are hosting the NLDS then both ALDS games that belong to Fox would be played in the same time slot tying up both Fox and FS1. If the AL and NL each have a east and west coast team hosting then Fox will probably carry our game and the baseball games will be in different time slots.
Atlanta and the Dodgers are hosting the NLDS, that's set already. Tampa or Baltimore will host one AL series for sure and Texas or Houston will host the other one.