• The KillerFrogs

New ESPN Rankings

SuperToad

Am I missing something, or did ESPN redo their rankings of recruits? I remember Tyler Mathews having a grade of 81 and being in the Top 150. Now he's not in the Top and has a ranking of 79? Daje Johnson however moved into the Top 150 and now has a grade of 80. They've given a lot of people different grades...mostly lowered. Anyone know why?

Boomhauer

Am I missing something, or did ESPN redo their rankings of recruits? I remember Tyler Mathews having a grade of 81 and being in the Top 150. Now he's not in the Top and has a ranking of 79? Daje Johnson however moved into the Top 150 and now has a grade of 80. They've given a lot of people different grades...mostly lowered. Anyone know why?

They usually downgrade the rankings after they commit to TCU. Gives the AQ schools an excuse as to why they lost out on the recruit, "We stopped recruiting him", etc.

SuperToad

They usually downgrade the rankings after they commit to TCU. Gives the AQ schools an excuse as to why they lost out on the recruit, "We stopped recruiting him", etc.

Wouldn't doubt it. After all, how many non-AQ teams have you seen in their final recruiting Top 10...

It would break their trend

jake102

I don't know about the others, but Tyler Matthews struggled at "The Opening" while Daje Johnson did very well. That could explain those rankings.

SuperToad

I don't know about the others, but Tyler Matthews struggled at "The Opening" while Daje Johnson did very well. That could explain those rankings.

He looked okay to me on day 2. They said he looked the most poised. That stupid if they lowered his grade because of one pointless showing.

talor

Wouldn't doubt it. After all, how many non-AQ teams have you seen in their final recruiting Top 10...

It would break their trend

I love how everyone thinks ESPN is out to get us.

I read every ESPN article about "The Opening" which was held over 5 days. Rarely was Matthews mentioned in a positive or negative light; he disappeared more or less. More importantly, Matthews team was shut out in the 7on7 games. Drills and combines are one thing. But to downgrade a player when he doesn't do well in actual competition is another. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I understand it completely.

Johnson, on the other hand garnered tons of superlatives and was rewarded as such.

jake102

This may be completely off-base, and I think Matthews is going to be very good, but going from Kansas football to an event like that is a major change of pace. Better, faster receivers along with better, faster secondary.

Kaiser

I wouldn't pay too much attention to espn's rankings. Use rivals, scout, or even 247. They're all better. How big is espn's scouting department anyways?

SuperToad

I love how everyone thinks ESPN is out to get us.

calm-down.jpg

It depends, for websites like Rivals and Scout it is all about subscriptions. The more subscriptions your fans buys the higher the stars of your team's talent will receive. For sites like ESPN its all about web hits, which fans are going to their site - making sure those fans are satisfied customers. It also is about contracts with conferences and teams too. Fox is going to say great things and rate talent higher for the Big 12, Pac-10, and the Big 10. ESPN will feature UT, BYU, PAC-10, and the ACC, rating talent higher than should be...I would include SEC but everyone has skin in with them so they get praise everywhere. TCU and Boise State talent will always be rated medium high because of the success these teams both have had but TCU's alumni base size as well as Boise State's base is not going to raise any stars or scales over the teams that they need to have greater good fortunes. And if Boise State or TCU should ever have a bad year, oh my, those entertainment groups have no connections to TCU and Boise State so I imagine both teams would be crucified, not only in recruiting ratings but also in their articles. It's all about the money $$$$$.

Planks

It depends, for websites like Rivals and Scout it is all about subscriptions. The more subscriptions your fans buys the higher the stars of your team's talent will receive. For sites like ESPN its all about web hits, which fans are going to their site - making sure those fans are satisfied customers. It also is about contracts with conferences and teams too. Fox is going to say great things and rate talent higher for the Big 12, Pac-10, and the Big 10. ESPN will feature UT, BYU, PAC-10, and the ACC, rating talent higher than should be...I would include SEC but everyone has skin in with them so they get praise everywhere. TCU and Boise State talent will always be rated medium high because of the success these teams both have had but TCU's alumni base size as well as Boise State's base is not going to raise any stars or scales over the teams that they need to have greater good fortunes. And if Boise State or TCU should ever have a bad year, oh my, those entertainment groups have no connections to TCU and Boise State so I imagine both teams would be crucified, not only in recruiting ratings but also in their articles. It's all about the money $$$$$.

You do realize ESPN has a contract with the Big East, which will soon mean a contract with TCU, right? I realize the contract is almost up, but in all likelihood, the Big East signs with ESPN again.

frogbyproxy

It looks like they are constantly changing the top 150. We had 4 in the top 150 in early April but they dropped two out of the top 150. Only a few points differences and I think we will have 4 to 5 in the top 150 at the end of season. IMO

Houston Frog

From what I have read, Matthews did very well at The Opening, and someone on another site that they they heard he was one of the top 2 QBs in attendance.

And I don't believe what someone said about his team being shut out in the 7 on 7 is true. They were one score away from making the finals.

talor

And I don't believe what someone said about his team being shut out in the 7 on 7 is true. They were one score away from making the finals.

Yeah, you got me there. Matthews team got shut out in 1 game for sure b/c I watched it. Then they lost 14-13 in the finals of the elimination bracket. My bad.

ESPN dropped hjm 1 point (from an 80 to a 79) but that dropped him out of the top 150. He did maintain his 4 star rating though.

Johnson, didn't move up in rating. He was an 80 and still is. He was a 4 star and still is. However, he jumped into the top 150 because they think he is more valuable as a CB, where they saw him perform all week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/6762398/espnu-150-sees-couple-changes-last-six-weeks

You do realize ESPN has a contract with the Big East, which will soon mean a contract with TCU, right? I realize the contract is almost up, but in all likelihood, the Big East signs with ESPN again.

I think ESPN is neutral right now with TCU. However if TCU does ever fall TCU's base/viewers will not save ESPN from dumping on TCU because they have UT under their belt which carries the viewers they require.

Big East right now is not of importance to ESPN. I think ESPN does not need BE and I expect them not to put up big fight for the BE. The more they can downgrade BE the better deal they might get if they were to resign the Big East anyway. TCU to the BE means nothing (unless in 2011 a couple of BE teams really step it up, then TCU joining really provides some great conversation and attention).