• The KillerFrogs

NCAA Lacrosse Tournament Opening Round

Limey Frog

I know I will take some [Craig James] for posting this but ...

Well, I guess I'll get things started.

Any word on what the actual rules of lacrosse are yet? You should spend your weekend on something that makes more sense. Like my favorite stick and ball game, for example -- cricket.

[If you prefer more direct heckling from detractors you could try this:

Go back to your leafy Baltimore suburb and talk about yachting with your pals, preppy!]

Texas Otto

Well, I guess I'll get things started.

Any word on what the actual rules of lacrosse are yet? You should spend your weekend on something that makes more sense. Like my favorite stick and ball game, for example -- cricket.

[If you prefer more direct heckling from detractors you could try this:

Go back to your leafy Baltimore suburb and talk about yachting with your pals, preppy!]

Aww shucks the preppy comment might hurt if it were true. My dad spent 40 years as a welder for Carrier Air Conditioning most of that time building compressors for our Navy for nuclear submarines and he swore I would never come home from work dirty and that I would go to college and get my degree. I am also quite proud that I was a member of the first inner city high school lacrosse team to win the NY State Lacrosse Championship (Syracuse's Henninger High) in 1980, and we were the first champion to have more than one African American player on the team (12 actually on a roster of around 30) so I think we and other inner cisty teams that came after us helped to open up the game and make it less privileged and preppy.

So nice try, but you can do better than that I am sure!

:tongue:

Limey Frog

Aww shucks the preppy comment might hurt if it were true...

I don't know much about college lacrosse, but I do know that possibly the greatest man to have ever played was 'Cuse alum Jim Brown [one of, if not the, greatest all-round American athlete of all time not named Jim Thorpe]. Mr. Brown is many things, but no preppy.

Texas Otto

I don't know much about college lacrosse, but I do know that possibly the greatest man to have ever played was 'Cuse alum Jim Brown [one of, if not the, greatest all-round American athlete of all time not named Jim Thorpe]. Mr. Brown is many things, but no preppy.

No he was no preppy:

James Nathaniel Brown was born to Theresa (a housekeeper) and Swinton Brown (a professional boxer).[sup][3][/sup]

At Manhasset Secondary School, Brown earned 13 letters playing football, lacrosse, baseball, basketball and running track.[sup][4][/sup]

"Mr. Brown credits his self-reliance to having grown up on St. Simons's island, an all-black community off the coast of Georgia where he was raised by his grandmother and where racism did not affect him directly. At the age of 8 he moved to Manhasset, N.Y., where his mother worked as a domestic. It was at Manhasset High School that he became a football star and athletic legend"He averaged a then-Long Island record 38 points per game for his basketball team. His career island scoring mark was later broken by future Boston Red Sox star Carl Yastrzemski of Bridgehampton.[sup][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Brown[/sup]

TexanMark

This weekend has lots of Lax...but I prefer Memorial Day weekend.

A few simple Lax rules you need to know:

A ball going out of the end line or side line on a shot to the goal is awarded to the team nearest the ball when it goes out. That is why the offensive team keeps a guy roving the endline.

Another rule is if there is a penalty called (one which calls for a player to sit for 30 or 60 secs, etc..) it can be delayed. So the team with the ball (if the penalty was against the defense) can shoot and still get awarded the ball itf the other team gets it. Lastly, you have a time limit for getting the ball from the defensive end to the offensive box.

TCU fans should sit down and watch, Cuse, Nova or Notre Dame play this weekend and see if the game starts to make sense.

gatorfrog

This weekend has lots of Lax...but I prefer Memorial Day weekend.

A few simple Lax rules you need to know:

A ball going out of the end line or side line on a shot to the goal is awarded to the team nearest the ball when it goes out. That is why the offensive team keeps a guy roving the endline.

Another rule is if there is a penalty called (one which calls for a player to sit for 30 or 60 secs, etc..) it can be delayed. So the team with the ball (if the penalty was against the defense) can shoot and still get awarded the ball itf the other team gets it. Lastly, you have a time limit for getting the ball from the defensive end to the offensive box.

TCU fans should sit down and watch, Cuse, Nova or Notre Dame play this weekend and see if the game starts to make sense.

I haven't watched much LaX in recent years, but my recollection is that general player movement is not unlike a mixture of ice hockey and soccer, and it's a pretty intuitive game to grasp the basics of, unlike the aforementioned cricket. :cool:

Texas Otto

I haven't watched much LaX in recent years, but my recollection is that general player movement is not unlike a mixture of ice hockey and soccer, and it's a pretty intuitive game to grasp the basics of, unlike the aforementioned cricket. :cool:

I don't realy like the comparison to other sports being a lax guy, but I would say it is close to soccer as far as team work without the offsides penalty which makes a goal in soccer so hard to acheive making for a much more high scoring contest (note there is offsides but only if there are not a minimum of 4 players including the goalie staying back on the defensive end). Also penalties like hockey (in the mens game) do cause extra man situations which are converted anywhere from 40-60% of the time depending on the efficiency of the man-up unit. Also with all due respect to Mark Memorial day weekend is fantastic but this weekend you have games wall to wall from 11 AM to 7:30PM both days which for a lax junkie is friggin great!
:cool: