• The KillerFrogs

Navy, AFA choices for BE football-only expansion

geefrogs

If the Big East is willing to reach out as far as Colorado to expand. Why not invite Boise for football only? Or....BYU?

berryfrog95

Why not add Air Force, Navy, (as projected) but go ahead and do ECU & UCF & Memphis & Houston as well? Give us a nice grid overall and if lame Uconn and Rutgers leave, we still have 14-2=12....(then add a combo of Temple/villanova/usm)

TCU
AFA
Army
Navy
ECU
Houston
Memphis/Temple (??)

WVU
Louisville
Cincy
USF
UCF
Rutgers
UConn

mtmedlin

Academies deserve full membership in all sports if they want to join for all sports. The idea of a partial membership in a sport is stupid unless you do not have enough members to have a conference in that sport.

Actually that is what THEY want. Navy said that moving all sports is not an option for them.

Also, I am not certain why people are against Temple. They bring a good amount of NCAA credits (which are worth alot of money...and help replace Pitts and Cuse) plus they are on a real rise. They just took Penn St to the edge and only lost by 1 TD. THey have an NFL stadium to play in.

I would support them for #10. Having them as football only and Nova as BBall, really would be a good tandem in order to secure some of the Philly market and lets admit it...we NEED markets right now.

50FT FROG

Actually that is what THEY want. Navy said that moving all sports is not an option for them.

Also, I am not certain why people are against Temple. They bring a good amount of NCAA credits (which are worth alot of money...and help replace Pitts and Cuse) plus they are on a real rise. They just took Penn St to the edge and only lost by 1 TD. THey have an NFL stadium to play in.

I would support them for #10. Having them as football only and Temple as BBall, really would be a good tandem in order to secure some of the Philly market and lets admit it...we NEED markets right now.

"i know what i hate ..... and i don't hate this"

- C Montgomery Burns

mtmedlin

If the Big East is willing to reach out as far as Colorado to expand. Why not invite Boise for football only? Or....BYU?

Air Force gives us a good team but more importantly, political clout...but they are 600 flight miles away from the closest school...Boise St has the smallest market in all of the BE, and it is another 600 miles beyond Air Force....anybody realize how far it is from USF or Uconn to Boise ST. It would cost a ton and require a three day commitment.

Salfrog

Tier 1
If and when the BE expands, they need to be thinking of a minimum 12-14 team league. I say Air Force, Navy, Temple, ECU, UCF. Then one out of USM, Houston, and Memphis.

I think on their own merit AFA and Navy are two of the strongest available programs out there, arguably second only to BYU and Boise in terms of resume. AFA averaged 47 in Sagarin the last five years and was the clear #4 team in the MWC. Navy has averaged 52 and has 13 wins over AQ teams the last 5 years, more than any other non-AQ program. Both have better computer numbers than any other non-AQ other than BYU and Boise, and both schools are willing to come as football only.

Army is the one that raises a question in terms of performance. They've only averaged 114 with only one bowl.

Virginia Frog

I would support them for #10. Having them as football only and Temple as BBall, really would be a good tandem in order to secure some of the Philly market and lets admit it...we NEED markets right now.
While historically Temple was literally the worst East Coast team (in a big time conference) in college football, there have been glimmers of hope of some respectability. They just about took down UCLA in '09 Military Bowl (IMO should have!) and last weekend gave Paterno U a lot of trouble in Philly.

Maybe it's because of Al Golden's (who's no longer there) recruits...we'll see.

But the Philly market contains 1/2 the state and 1/2 of Jersey. AND, it's a GREAT place to visit Frog Fans & Alums.

I could be persuaded about Temple. It's definately a "no" in respect to Div 1-A at Villanova for me.

angelo's frog

Why not add Air Force, Navy, (as projected) but go ahead and do ECU & UCF & Memphis & Houston as well? Give us a nice grid overall and if lame Uconn and Rutgers leave, we still have 14-2=12....(then add a combo of Temple/villanova/usm)

TCU
AFA
Army
Navy
ECU
Houston
Memphis/Temple (??)

WVU
Louisville
Cincy
USF
UCF
Rutgers
UConn

BARF, VOMIT, PUKE . . .

berryfrog95

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1316660917' post='927035']
BARF, VOMIT, PUKE . . .
[/quote]
....or no bcs conference at all, Does that sound better?

angelo's frog

....or no bcs conference at all, Does that sound better?

Assuming the bcd still exists, I have serious doubts that league would get an auto-bid when 2014 rolls around. So we get two years of an auto-bid and then they take the bid and give two to the SEC or Big 10. I have no interest in being part of a reconstituted CUSA.

BABYFACE

ECU should be the first offer and for all sports. This FB only is the basketball schools still trying to run the show. They still don't get that FB drives the bus and I don't think they ever will or care. This why ECU isn't getting the first invite. Marinatto has to go.

BABYFACE

I don't have a problem with academies because they add large viewership, just that ECU should get the first invite and for all sports. The academies should get the same for all sports IMO.

Planks

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1316662275' post='927063']
Assuming the bcd still exists, I have serious doubts that league would get an auto-bid when 2014 rolls around. So we get two years of an auto-bid and then they take the bid and give two to the SEC or Big 10. I have no interest in being part of a reconstituted CUSA.
[/quote]

So what would you do? We don't exactly have options right now.

mtmedlin

I don't have a problem with academies because they add large viewership, just that ECU should get the first invite and for all sports. The academies should get the same for all sports IMO.

As I said before... It is the Academies that dont want to be all sports. Navy has specifically said that they do not want to take their other sports out of the Patriot league and for Air Force it would cost too much. They would rather have their non-football teams in a local place. Its their choice, not a BE snub on them

I agree that ECU should be invited but with the politics, it will be hard to get them in because of academics...but a football only invite gets easier. Same is true for Temple. Nova does not want them as a full member...but moving Novas football up would take at least 2 years and they still wouldnt be compeititve. The tandem of having Nova as a full members without football and Temple as football only brings alot of fan support and demand to the Philly area. Both of those schools should get football only invites along with Air Force and Navy.

Another reason I like this, is in the future if issues still arise with the basketball teams and we do split, we can easily just move Temple and ECU up to full members, Its like stocking up for the future.

To me, the only full invite should be Houston. That football program is ready to take the next step and their basketball is about to make a comeback, plus we need more geographic parts that are out west. The Choices basically come down to Houston, SMU or Tulsa...and SMU/Tulsa are very small...and SMU is in a market already dominated be the BE :)

angelo's frog

So what would you do? We don't exactly have options right now.

I would be pushing like hell to get into the Big 12 and if that doesn't work out, I'd see if we could package OU, OSU and us to the SEC to take it to 16. Last resort, I'd stay in the big East and try to make it work. I have little hope of that though and I fear we will wind up in a conference with Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Rice etc.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Can anybody picture Bill Hancock (BCS mouthpiece) going in front of Congress in 2014 and trying explain how the BCS just screwed over AIR FORCE and NAVY?

ReedFrawg

I don't disagree. However, assuming Big 12 and SEC do not work out, I see nothing wrong with adding Navy & Air Force to the Big East. I would also add 3 more to get to 12. This at least provides some cushion if there are additional defections (including TCU potentially). There simply aren't any other options.