• The KillerFrogs

National Championship Run

'96 Coug

I truly believe TCU has a pretty good shot at going undefeated. You're starting the year ranked high enough to get a title shot, I believe. One thing lacking on your schedule is a "premiere" game against an OU, UT, USC, etc., and critics will point this out come crunch time, so I think it's imperative that BYU/Utah have good seasons also.

You've got a veteran QB with an experienced and vastly under-rated surrounding cast. Defense loses a few special players, but as Patterson has proven, others will step up. I don't see any drop-off from last season when I thought TCU was easily a top 5 team.

Schedule looks very favorable:

Oregon State - TCU D will overwhelm OSU's offense in this opener. Beavs will be shocked.
Tenn Tech. - LOL
Baylor - LOL that Baylor is in a BCS league and BYU is not.
@ SMU - The ponies are outmatched
@ CSU - Shouldn't be any problem
Wyoming - Wyo has a good QB but the rest of the offense sucks. Shutout?
BYU - TCU's speed > BYU's size
AFA - Falcon's are always a challenge, but I'd never pick them over TCU at home
@ UNLV - Could get very ugly. Shutout #2?
@ Utah - Possibly the toughest game on the schedule, on the road. But I still pick TCU
SDSU - SDSU may be improved, but not enough.
@ UNM - Will be a TCU blowout.

I know going undefeated is a very, very tough accomplishment, and it will certainly take a few favorable bounces, but it seems to me the stars are aligned this year for TCU.

Not trying to blow smoke up your skirt or kiss your grits... just calling it as I see it.

FYI, I see BYU likely going 9-3 this year (losses to FSU and TCU - with another loss to Utah, AFA, or UW). 10-2 is possible, as is 8-4.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Another favorable thing is that TCU has essentially 8 home games, four away. The away games are AT BYU, At Colo State, At New Mexico and At Vegas.

Shooter

QUOTE('96 Coug @ Aug 4 2010, 02:11 PM) [snapback]607141[/snapback]
I truly believe TCU has a pretty good shot at going undefeated. You're starting the year ranked high enough to get a title shot, I believe. One thing lacking on your schedule is a "premiere" game against an OU, UT, USC, etc., and critics will point this out come crunch time, so I think it's imperative that BYU/Utah have good seasons also.

You've got a veteran QB with an experienced and vastly under-rated surrounding cast. Defense loses a few special players, but as Patterson has proven, others will step up. I don't see any drop-off from last season when I thought TCU was easily a top 5 team.

Schedule looks very favorable:

Oregon State - TCU D will overwhelm OSU's offense in this opener. Beavs will be shocked.
Tenn Tech. - LOL
Baylor - LOL that Baylor is in a BCS league and BYU is not.
@ SMU - The ponies are outmatched
@ CSU - Shouldn't be any problem
Wyoming - Wyo has a good QB but the rest of the offense sucks. Shutout?
BYU - TCU's speed > BYU's size
AFA - Falcon's are always a challenge, but I'd never pick them over TCU at home
@ UNLV - Could get very ugly. Shutout #2?
@ Utah - Possibly the toughest game on the schedule, on the road. But I still pick TCU
SDSU - SDSU may be improved, but not enough.
@ UNM - Will be a TCU blowout.

I know going undefeated is a very, very tough accomplishment, and it will certainly take a few favorable bounces, but it seems to me the stars are aligned this year for TCU.

Not trying to blow smoke up your skirt or kiss your grits... just calling it as I see it.
FYI, I see BYU likely going 9-3 this year (losses to FSU and TCU - with another loss to Utah, AFA, or UW). 10-2 is possible, as is 8-4.

Thanks for the kind words and I sure hope you're right. :biggrin:

jake102

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Aug 4 2010, 02:15 PM) [snapback]607143[/snapback]
Another favorable thing is that TCU has essentially 8 home games, four away. The away games are AT BYU, At Colo State, At New Mexico and At Vegas.

AT Utah... not BYU

'96 Coug

Don't forget @ Clemson. That one looms large.

TCURiggs

QUOTE('96 Coug @ Aug 4 2010, 07:49 PM) [snapback]607177[/snapback]
Don't forget @ Clemson. That one looms large.

Seems the Coug knows Steels schtick (that doesn't sound right) better than the regulars...

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
OP was hopefully right. This is closest setup for a MNC I've ever seen a TCU team enjoy. Having your proven QB as a fourth year starter with all the RB and WR supporting performers any of us could ever hope for is the key part of the picture. We lost more on D entering last year than this one, and still repeated as No. 1 for fewest yards (and 1st downs) surrendered...so expecting the staff to find 4 players to step up on that side of the ball is almost a given considering GP's history with this program. Of course having the ever-pesky Broncos being ranked ahead of us is less than a perfect scenario, but all things considered, it's still a rosy picture.

As Class of '67, I am pretty pumped and proud to have such a realistic hope for Our Heroes. I can remember when a year of 8-4 would have been cause for an outright orgy of celebration (" Send the Sophs out for more wenches, and peel me a grape!").

As AW,L,HC, GP, said, "Now 8-4 is a bad year around here". Well coach, ya got nobody to blame but your own super competent self. If sky high expectations is your biggest problem, you have solidly arrived. Now all you got to do is to keep 'em hungry.

Truly, guys, I'm just glad I've lived to see it.

fdub

QUOTE('96 Coug @ Aug 4 2010, 02:11 PM) [snapback]607141[/snapback]
I think it's imperative that BYU/Utah have good seasons also.

I think it's imperative that SDSU, New Mexico, Wyoming, Air Force, UNLV and Colorado State have good seasons (or, at least not horrible ones) for any MWC team to make it to the title game.

No more losses to New Mexico State, Idaho, Cal-Poly, Sisters of the Holy Cross, etc. anywhere in the conference. Those are what keep a ceiling on the MWC winner.

BYU-Utah-TCU have a certain amount of national credibility built up that lasts from season to season. It's the six others in the conference that need to pull more weight around here.

Thankfully, it looks like Wyoming, AFA, UNM, and SDSU are going to do better than last season(Wyoming's losses to Texas and Boise won't hurt the conference). CSU? UNLV? Dunno. HOpe so.

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Aug 4 2010, 07:24 PM) [snapback]607157[/snapback]
steel, we played at byu last year

Are you sure? I could swear that we are AT BYU this year.

57Frog

Are you sure? I could swear that we are AT BYU this year.

Counselor , College Game day was at BYU last season .
They were also at TCU for the Utah game .
Go Frogs .

Burner1

Tier 1
What could derail the Frogs?

Injury to Dalton. Lots of turnovers in some game. Forgetting that press clippings mean nothing, you have to get it done on the field.

IamFroglash88

QUOTE(fdub @ Aug 4 2010, 04:26 PM) [snapback]607198[/snapback]
Thankfully, it looks like Wyoming, AFA, UNM, and SDSU are going to do better than last season(Wyoming's losses to Texas and Boise won't hurt the conference). CSU? UNLV? Dunno. HOpe so.

Who says Wyoming loses both those games?

jake102

QUOTE(Burner1 @ Aug 4 2010, 04:07 PM) [snapback]607235[/snapback]
What could derail the Frogs?

Forgetting that press clippings mean nothing, you have to get it done on the field.

This will be the one that gets us.

gdu

QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Aug 4 2010, 04:14 PM) [snapback]607242[/snapback]

Me, for one.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(TCURiggs @ Aug 4 2010, 02:57 PM) [snapback]607180[/snapback]
Seems the Coug knows Steels schtick (that doesn't sound right) better than the regulars...

Yes. Same old stupid schteel schtick.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
QUOTE(IamFroglash88 @ Aug 4 2010, 04:14 PM) [snapback]607242[/snapback]

Would it not be a banner day for the MWC for the Pokes to win either one of these, especially the away game?

Bedlam would result in Laramie and maybe in at least eight other cities I could name.

I'd love to hear MACK ON A MOBILE rationalize the loss.

HoustonHornedFrog

Another favorable thing is that TCU has essentially 8 home games, four away. The away games are AT Utah, At Colo State, At New Mexico and At Vegas.

Since most of the so called "elite" programs have 7 or 8 home games, its only fitting that we get close to that.