• The KillerFrogs

Most Disappointing Season

Which TCU team had the most disappointing 2010-11?

• Men's basketball

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Women's basketball

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Baseball

Votes: 50 60.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

halfwaytoheaven

So, I'm feeling a bit dour and pessimistic, and since the athletic year officially ended yesterday, I figured it was time for a look back at some TCU athletic programs that didn't achieve quite as highly as Patterson's bunch. Here's the question: which of these teams had the most disappointing season? I measure disappointment as the gap between expected performance and actual results. While the baseball team, for example, had a better record than men's basketball, they also had higher expectations to live up to. A quick review:

Men's Basketball

In Jim Christian's third year, things were expected to turn around for the men's basketball team. The addition of a good recruiting class and transfer Hank Thorns got hopes of a hoops renaissance in the DMC stirring and prompted Athletic Director Chris Del Conte to comment that the squad "looked like a basketball team" (talk about damning with faint praise). Expectations were for a winning season and perhaps a trip to the NIT. Long story short, things didn't work out so well. After a promising start, personnel issues took a toll, and the team lost 13 in a row and 17 of 18 to end the regular season. There was a ray of hope, however, in the MWC tournament as they downed the Wyoming Cowboys and gave BYU a scare.

Women's Basketball

Jeff Mittie's squad boasted a group of very talented seniors that included Helena Sverrisdottir and Emily Carter. Expectations were for yet another conference title and a run at the Sweet 16 or perhaps beyond. The team failed to capture the regular season title and lost to Utah in the MWC tournament. The season (and the TCU careers of some of the best players in program history) ended with a home loss to Oral Roberts in the WNIT.

Baseball

With the entire weekend rotation and 6/8 of the position players (all except Bryan Holaday and Matt Curry - but how important could two guys be?) returning from a CWS darling, expectations couldn't have been higher for Jim Schlossnagle's bunch. Even with the loss of closer Kaleb Merck to Tommy John surgery, a preseason #1 ranking didn't seem unwarranted. A record crowd of over 6,000 packed newly expanded Lupton Stadium to see Matt Purke pitch on opening day. Things got off to a rocky start, though, as the team lost a game to Kansas opening weekend and then dropped a series to CS Fullerton. It was all excused to early season jitters and rust, at least until Purke suffered his first collegiate loss at the hands of previously winless Houston Baptist. The team was beset by fielding and baserunning errors, pitcher injuries, and a lack of timely hitting that cost it winnable games all season. The team seemed to hit its stride late in the year, sweeping MWC opponents, winning a mid-week game in College Station, and taking a key series in Stillwater. TCU won a sixth straight MWC regular season title and hosted a regional for the third straight season despite losing twice to New Mexico in the MWC tournament; they then proceeded to get eliminated by Dallas Baptist and Oral Roberts in Fort Worth to end the campaign. But on the bright side, Schloss may be getting a few more guys back next year than he anticipated. And freshmen Andrew Mitchell, Stefan Crichton and Brett Johnson all had promising or outstanding seasons.

Anyway, call me a Debbie Downer if you want, but what's your opinion? Please explain any "other" responses.

SuperToad

With the strong finishing effort by the Mens BB team, I give them props. Womens BB had an okay season. So I'd say baseball. How do you go from being ranked number 1, to not being able to win your own regional? Very very disappointing year

jake102

With the strong finishing effort by the Mens BB team, I give them props. Womens BB had an okay season. So I'd say baseball. How do you go from being ranked number 1, to not being able to win your own regional? Very very disappointing year

Didn't the basketball team go like 1-20 at the end of the year?

The baseball team is the obvious answer. They were pretty awful this year. See 2010 UT Football for a good comparison.

halfwaytoheaven

Didn't the basketball team go like 1-20 at the end of the year?

The baseball team is the obvious answer. They were pretty awful this year. See 2010 UT Football for a good comparison.

The baseball team won a conference title and hosted a regional. Two years ago that would have been the best season in team history. UT football, meanwhile, had a losing record. And if I'm not mistaken, the baseball team had more players drafted than it's ever had before.

Men's hoops was 1-17 to finish the regular season. Not good at all, but then this past season was only supposed to be part of a rebuilding process for them, not a year to make a major run, like with baseball and WBB.

SuperToad

The baseball team won a conference title and hosted a regional. Two years ago that would have been the best season in team history. UT football, meanwhile, had a losing record. And if I'm not mistaken, the baseball team had more players drafted than it's ever had before.

I think his point was that they had such high expectations (see UT football) and completely faultered. We lost to New Mexico in the tourny for goodness sakes. Much like UT losing to Baylor.

jake102

I meant their performance in the MWC tourny. They played well and gave BYU a run for their money.

Oh yeh... that was pretty sweet getting beat by BYU. We looked semi-legit at times.

I saw Moss, Ray, Fields and some of the football team playing in the Rec the other day. Moss pretty much scored whenever he wanted.

OmniscienceFrog

To be honest, we weren't very good in any sports except football this year.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that is the attitude the football program's success has created in too many cases with regard to the overall athletic program. If the other teams don't match football's success, they are not very good.

The women's basketball team and the baseball team didn't meet most people's expectations this past season, but to label them as "not very good", is way over the top.

masterfrog

I vote women's basketball. This should have been the best team in school history, even better than Sandora's teams. It wasn't. It wasn't even the best team in the past four years. This team had every key player back and was significantly worse. Without a doubt, Mittie's worst job yet.

BogeyGolf7

Baseball for sure
With the pitching coming back and the big change in bat performance I was expecting big things
But injuries just killed us this year

And really I couldn't care less about those other sports

tcumaniac

Most disapointing? Easy.. Hands down the baseball team. They freaking started the season #1 in the nation. THat means people expected them to have the best shot at winning the college world series. We didn't even win our regional. I'd call that pretty dang disapointing.

TCU basketball is definitely embarrassing, but it's not like we genuinely expected anything from them.

Woman's basketball has made it a habit to under perform, so them screwing up was pretty expected.

I was definitely disapointed in tennis this year, especially considering that I knew a lot of the seniors.

Limp Lizard

I agree, baseball. And I would imagine our disappointment is nothing compared to the baseball team's. Baseball is a strange sport, and I really don't understand it, except great pitching trumps all else.

But, once again, to go back a few years to 2001 track national championship meets. Indoor: went into the final event (4 x 400), seeded second, and all we had to do was not finish last. Dropped the baton, finished last in the event, ended up 2nd by 1 point. Outdoor: another big lead, 200M was our last event, we had two sprinters in the finals, all we had to do was have a mediocre showing by our two sprinters in the race. Out star sprinter, Kim Collins from St. Kits (who became World Champion in the 100M in 2003), false started. In that meet, one false start and you are disqualified. The other TCU sprinter did well, but TCU finished the National Championships in 2nd, by one point ... again.
wacko.gif
Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! Those were perhaps the greatest track teams we have had at TCU, which is saying a lot. Still trying to recover from NCAA penalties...good but not great teams recently.