• The KillerFrogs

More than 42,000

geefrogs

facepalm_medium.jpg

Stiff Arm Frog

I agree with geefrogs. I don't think what you're suggesting is as easy as you think it is.

Our plans to renovate the East side have been finalized, and they don't include an option for expansion. That means, for starters, if you wanted to add a second deck over the east side, then first you would have to pay an architectural firm a few million dollars to design it. Keeping mind, of course, the millions you've already spent designing the current plans. After the architects had finished their designs, then you would have to get permission from the city to build it, since it would almost certainly conflict with Fort Worth zoning laws. I imagine we've already got an exemption from the city to build our stadium, but adding a second exemption would take a several more months. Then you have to finance it.

In short, no.

PurplePutt

From what has been said in the past, the current design is for the East Side to eventually get an upper deck

Think the renderings show (somewhat) of an upper deck on the east side but all we have heard CDC say is that it can be expanded to 50K in a short time? Have heard we are going to hear some announcement about the stadium soon??

Deep Purple

Our plans to renovate the East side have been finalized, and they don't include an option for expansion.
As a matter of fact, the plans do include an option for expansion. Just not right away. It hasn't been funded and it's not an immediate prospect -- but if the attendance market shows it's justified, it is in the plan.

After the architects had finished their designs, then you would have to get permission from the city to build it, since it would almost certainly conflict with Fort Worth zoning laws. I imagine we've already got an exemption from the city to build our stadium, but adding a second exemption would take a several more months.
No exemptions needed. TCU was at its current site before any of the surrounding neighborhoods were built. It predates them. Plus, a second deck on the East side would not affect the surrounding neighborhoods, since it would be on the interior of the campus and not adjacent to them.

Having said that, there is absolutely no good reason to do this at this time. As noted, the plan includes an option for expanding the stadium, but only if ticket demand justifies doing so.

SnoSki

In all of CDC's ionterviews on the subject he has said that they're still in the process of designing and figuring out what would be best for now. If for some reason the SEC comes calling and asks that we have at least 50K seats (and CDC is interested in joining) then I'd bet they would find a way. Slim chance I know but you keep your options open while the dust is getting riled up.

FrogAbroad

I'm going to be very surprised if the rest of the BE, SEC, BC$, whatever, checks the online Startlegram to discover what TCU might have on its drawing boards.

When multimillion dollar decisions are in the air principals talk with principals. If there is a need for TCU to share immediate plans, medium-term plans or dream stadia in the clouds there will be knowledgable and articulate program representatives communicating just what we do, indeed, have up our metaphorical sleeve.

This is not to say we will never get less than we want, nor that university decision-makers will never make an imperfect decision, but really...these guys know what they're doing, and it ain't their first rodeo.

When the moment is right, the right people will hear about TCU's plans to stay at the big-boy table, believe me.