• The KillerFrogs

Money in the Bank

4th. down

Casey - let him go beginning on the first offensive possession. He is on schedule to break a lot of Dalton's passing records and we thought that was not possible. When the defense is looking for the pass as in the 4th. quarter of the Baylor and SMU games, he passes for 7 TD's with relative ease.

What's up with Fuente/Anderson? If we can all see it, there must be more but I cannot figure it out - can any of you?

cdsfrog

lack of trust in the qb. Never mind he is one pace have less than 1 turnover a game, something dalton only did in 2010.

dkfrog

GP likes to stay conservative and play ball control so that the defense can rest...problem is the defense can't get much rest when they continue to give up big plays on 3rd down. I think GP is being a little stubborn with his philosophy and telling the OCs to hold back early.

If I was GP (which I am not and will never be - he has forgotten more about football than I will ever know), I would let the offense go full throttle early to give them a chance to build a lead. Then pull back qtrs 2-3 and see where we stand going into the 4th.

Screaming Flea

It's the conservative ways of Gary. However I think Gary will open the play book more, mainly b/c this team needs a reason to be positive about itself. If there's some positive energy on one side of the ball maybe the other side will catch it too.

pcf

It occurred to me that we want the offense to be slow and methodical and limit the possessions in the game to set a certain pace to the game. OTOH, this offense seems to be better at explosive plays than grinding away. That pace isn't well suited to our defense right now. The track meet pace puts a lot of pressure on a young defense.

Over the last couple of years, I was rarely surprised by our offense. It had a defined personality and many times there was a sense of deja vu. It wasn't quite 60's Packers, but it had a certain look with certain personnel. With so many new faces, that's going to take a little while to get back to.

I think offensively we could do a heck of a lot of damage with wheel routes to 34 and 32. If Waymon gets to be as good a receiver as 34, he could tear them up.

HFrog1999

It occurred to me that we want the offense to be slow and methodical and limit the possessions in the game to set a certain pace to the game. OTOH, this offense seems to be better at explosive plays than grinding away. That pace isn't well suited to our defense right now. The track meet pace puts a lot of pressure on a young defense.

Over the last couple of years, I was rarely surprised by our offense. It had a defined personality and many times there was a sense of deja vu. It wasn't quite 60's Packers, but it had a certain look with certain personnel. With so many new faces, that's going to take a little while to get back to.

I think offensively we could do a heck of a lot of damage with wheel routes to 34 and 32. If Waymon gets to be as good a receiver as 34, he could tear them up.

Exactly, in the past a ball and clock control offense made sense because of our defense. We don't have that this year. We need to try and out run our opponents from the start.

4th. down

It's the conservative ways of Gary. However I think Gary will open the play book more, mainly b/c this team needs a reason to be positive about itself. If there's some positive energy on one side of the ball maybe the other side will catch it too.

Attack, attack, attack - offense and defense, from the git-go. Get positive from the very start - bombs away. We can lay half a hundred on everyone left on our schedule, including BSU if you give Casey the ok. With our speed at the receiver positions, we can throw over the DB's head like they are doing to us. As one of our players said coming off the field at Baylor, "Casey can fling it."

pcf

Exactly, in the past a ball and clock control offense made sense because of our defense. We don't have that this year. We need to try and out run our opponents from the start.

What I didn't explain well is that our young defense could use the ball control backstop even more. The track meet pace would be tougher.

Good teams are built where all 3 phases work together. Think about how Briles' and Leach's teams always screwed their defenses.

BogeyGolf7

I totally agree - Let Casey put up as many points as possible - I think he is a stud

this team is going to have to outscore the opponent to win (yes, I know that's how you win) - cuz we arent stopping anyone, unless they run the option
in the past, the offense could run long, time consuming drives but this team is different and needs to put up a lot of points
get the plays in quick and run as many plays as we can

get rid of the bubble screens, short-side options, and QB runs - throw the ball down the field and let the RB's run
gotta let our talented QB and WR's make big plays - it will only help them in the future

I saw Casey after the game Saturday and told him "Good Game" - he looked pretty down - I wish I had told him that I really enjoy watching him play but he was with family and I didn't want to interupt too much - he looked pretty bummed

mrnicefrog

Good teams are built where all 3 phases work together. Think about how Briles' and Leach's teams always screwed their defenses.

BINGO!!!!

That's why Tech and Gaylor never made it to a BCS game. You can't get there with offense alone. LHCGP is teaching this young team how to ge great! As a team! At all 3 phases.

We may could win some "shoot-outs" this year, but then next year we'd stil be in same spot.

dweller

I totally agree - Let Casey put up as many points as possible - I think he is a stud

this team is going to have to outscore the opponent to win (yes, I know that's how you win) - cuz we arent stopping anyone, unless they run the option
in the past, the offense could run long, time consuming drives but this team is different and needs to put up a lot of points
get the plays in quick and run as many plays as we can

get rid of the bubble screens, short-side options, and QB runs - throw the ball down the field and let the RB's run
gotta let our talented QB and WR's make big plays - it will only help them in the future

I saw Casey after the game Saturday and told him "Good Game" - he looked pretty down - I wish I had told him that I really enjoy watching him play but he was with family and I didn't want to interupt too much - he looked pretty bummed
Observations about bubble screens, QB runs.
1st the Bubble screens, outside receiver is not blocking his man , or holding the block long enough, watch the replay of the SMU game, the defender responsible for covering Sky kept sneaking up to line of scrimmage and was in th3e back field with Sky when he caught it. Sky is not going to break many tackles.
2nd QB run, I have noticed that as soon as the defender gets close to Pah call? he turns side ways and starts side stepping.
Need to get the ball to Sky down field or on slants, save the bubble screen for Waymon or Ed.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
The only negative on the offense this year is the number of dropped balls. Pachall has been outstanding and not sure much on the offense needs to change other than getting the receivers to get their hands out to the ball better.

Rex Andrews

I don't disagree, but the offense needs to drive the ball down the field at every opportunity. We do that especially well late in the game when we stop trying to spread the defense from sideline to sideline (classic "West Coast Offense" style) and start stretching the defense vertically.

Opponent defenses are very often bunching up within 10-12 yards of the line of scrimmage, fully expecting us to go sideways in front of them. We've got the speed and the QB arm strength to force defenders to respect our deep strike capability. Even if the long pass is not successful, the defensive respect (fear of the deep ball) makes our running game much much more dangerous. Our "late in the game" results bear this out, and I'm hopeful that the offensive coaching staff will take advantage of this.

michaelperrytcu

Does anybody know why we don't run the hurry up more? I know GP likes to play ball control, but we had Baylor and SMU on their heels when our players had a sense of urgency and made the D line up quick.

SnoSki

CP4 is on a ridiculous pace right now passing, also on pace for a record TCU year yardage wise is Josh Boyce.

This offense worked really well against SMU in the no-huddle. We look like Oregon 2010 with half of the defensive capability.. so maybe like UH 2009?

RaiderHater

I think we should definitely run the hurry up from the get go. But you still need a balanced attack we have 3 great RB's and they need their carries. So we still need to run the ball. However the pass plays have been so short. We need to throw a lot of 20+ yard pass plays.

The first half against SMU our play calling was so predictable and never gave our athletes a chance.

michaelperrytcu

I think we should definitely run the hurry up from the get go. But you still need a balanced attack we have 3 great RB's and they need their carries. So we still need to run the ball. However the pass plays have been so short. We need to throw a lot of 20+ yard pass plays.

The first half against SMU our play calling was so predictable and never gave our athletes a chance.
Executing a hurry-up offense and running the ball are not mutually exclusive. Oregon ran for 286 yards per game last season.