• The KillerFrogs

Money from Big 12

geno

We haven't seen our first Big 12 paycheck yet, and we won't see one for more than a year from now, and already everyone is spending it. :rolleyes:

TCU's athletics program operates at an annual loss. It has been heavily subsidized by the university for decades. Given that, the Big 12 revenue is not "extra money." It will help cover the Athletic Department's operating losses and reduce the financial burden on the university.

That does free up TCU revenue previously committed to athletics for other uses, but it's not a given those revenues will be reinvested in athletics. TCU is not an athletics program with a university attached. It's a university that fields an athletics program. That university has many financial needs beyond just athletics.

+++1

geno

In my heart I know "Deep Purple" is 100%, drop-dead serious right.

But it makes me shutter to read his post, because a lot of what is so terribly wrong with Baylor football and men's basketball is linked (maybe coincidentally, but I doubt it) to BU absolutely depending on Big Twelve Conference distributions to pay for a whole lot of stuff besides football and men's basketball.

UTx can use athletics to fund other stuff, and still be competitive. UTx and maybe 4 or 5 other universities can. TCU ain't one of the five or six, as best I can tell.

Sure hate to think of Frog inAustin "shuttering". Could have consequences.

UltimateFrog

We haven't seen our first Big 12 paycheck yet, and we won't see one for more than a year from now, and already everyone is spending it. :rolleyes:

TCU's athletics program operates at an annual loss. It has been heavily subsidized by the university for decades. Given that, the Big 12 revenue is not "extra money." It will help cover the Athletic Department's operating losses and reduce the financial burden on the university.

That does free up TCU revenue previously committed to athletics for other uses, but it's not a given those revenues will be reinvested in athletics. TCU is not an athletics program with a university attached. It's a university that fields an athletics program. That university has many financial needs beyond just athletics.

Uhhh... sounds like extra money to me.

If you make an extra $100 today and pay off $100 of debt, you still made extra money even if you didn't use it on something fancy. Inevitably it frees up your money for other things, which may or may not be related to athletics in this case.

froginaustin

Uhhh... sounds like extra money to me.

If you make an extra $100 today and pay off $100 of debt, you still made extra money even if you didn't use it on something fancy. Inevitably it frees up your money for other things, which may or may not be related to athletics in this case.

No solid gold spittoons will be funded with B12 conference distributions.

A recent article stated that each Big 12 team should receive

approximately $20 million a year with the newly agreed upon

distribution format. And additional increases will occur when

current television contracts are renewed. Does that estimate

coincide with what others are reporting?

Stiff Arm Frog

I know Deep Purple's point of view makes sense, and if I were operating my own finances, planning retirement, investing in a Roth, I would totally agree with him.

But, if we agree to join the Big12, the biggest obstacle we will face will be complacency. We cannot just say, "okay, we made it to the Big12, now we can stop the mega-spending." TCU's job isn't being made easier by this move, it's become harder. If TCU wants to enjoy the recent level of success, we will have to continue to make major investments in improving our facilities and support. And that will require a lot of money, more than that $20 million a year check will cover. Students and alumni will have to continue to be generous, or they risk losing everything our school has built.

The DMC needs a major renovation. The seating capacity is fine, but right now our basketball stadium is the joke of the Big12. Football is the most visible part of a university, but basketball is the second most visible. I'd like to see them install a brick facade, arched windows, a copper roof (to match the new building in the Commons), and maybe a fountain or two around the exterior. For the interior we need to add a lot of purple tile throughout the concourse, make the lighting and fixtures look spiffy, and update the seating bowl.

Red Queen Theory: You have to continue to adapt and improve, just to maintain your present position.

joejordan

I know Deep Purple's point of view makes sense, and if I were operating my own finances, planning retirement, investing in a Roth, I would totally agree with him.

But, if we agree to join the Big12, the biggest obstacle we will face will be complacency. We cannot just say, "okay, we made it to the Big12, now we can stop the mega-spending." TCU's job isn't being made easier by this move, it's become harder. If TCU wants to enjoy the recent level of success, we will have to continue to make major investments in improving our facilities and support. And that will require a lot of money, more than that $20 million a year check will cover. Students and alumni will have to continue to be generous, or they risk losing everything our school has built.

The DMC needs a major renovation. The seating capacity is fine, but right now our basketball stadium is the joke of the Big12. Football is the most visible part of a university, but basketball is the second most visible. I'd like to see them install a brick facade, arched windows, a copper roof (to match the new building in the Commons), and maybe a fountain or two around the exterior. For the interior we need to add a lot of purple tile throughout the concourse, make the lighting and fixtures look spiffy, and update the seating bowl.

Red Queen Theory: You have to continue to adapt and improve, just to maintain your present position.
A copper roof? Can you imagine all the crackheads trying to jack that thing every weekend?

Cops would need to come back to FW to get that on tape.

Scarface

We haven't seen our first Big 12 paycheck yet, and we won't see one for more than a year from now, and already everyone is spending it.

I read somewhere that each Big 12 team will be getting their first monster check sometime in June or July 2012.

Initially, the extra money should be used to recreate our basketball program.

Go Frogs

Dogfrog

In my heart I know "Deep Purple" is 100%, drop-dead serious right.

But it makes me shutter to read his post, because a lot of what is so terribly wrong with Baylor football and men's basketball is linked (maybe coincidentally, but I doubt it) to BU absolutely depending on Big Twelve Conference distributions to pay for a whole lot of stuff besides football and men's basketball.

UTx can use athletics to fund other stuff, and still be competitive. UTx and maybe 4 or 5 other universities can. TCU ain't one of the five or six, as best I can tell.

There are no doubt many within the TCU administration who have been waiting for this day to say, "OK, we've made it. We are there, folks. Now let's have a toast, sit back and enjoy." We shouldn't make this move unless we intend to win conference championships. I would seriously rather go to the Big East than to move to the Big 12 and then go complacent. Athletics have been the driving force behind TCU's renaissance as a university. Some don't like to admit it.