• The KillerFrogs

MLB Draft June 2017

cdsfrog

Obviously there are exceptions as Pitt clearly botched Lodolo last year (someone has or will eventually lose their job over that IMO), but in the VAST majority of cases teams are not picking these kids without KNOWING that they can sign them....... "Hey Tyler, this is the Cleveland Indians, we're just calling to make sure that if we take you here in the second round and offer you the recommended slot for that pick that you're ready to sign". Kid says yes, you take him. Kid says no, you call the next guy on your list. Again, there are exceptions like Lodolo, but they are few and far between.

That makes sense. At what point is that not true? Not looking for an exact number per say, just a guess at a range.

Rough first day. Not the best day in Saarloos' tenure. These kinds of mishaps, if cont over time, have gotten asst coaches fired before.

I mentioned gonzo and the NL west team here recently, he's gone. Freeman isn't too surprising either, wanted $1mm and he will get it. Same for Gonzo.

Sloan is the next guy, maybe the tall lefty who's name I can't remember too. They are both projects but with major upside. Like 1/1 overall upside.

Generally speaking, getting through round 10 is important, but past round 15 is the true safe zone. After 15, we should be totally in the clear.

I won't be shocked to see Sloan go today fellas, fingers crossed.

Moose Stuff

That makes sense. At what point is that not true? Not looking for an exact number per say, just a guess at a range.

It's pretty close to every kid picked. There aren't always answers, so obviously some guessing goes on but that isn't gonna be with picks in the top 10 rounds usually. Also not uncommon for a team to know a kid's number is a little high and they just roll the dice and take him anyway. Again, probably not doing that with picks in the top several rounds.

McFroggin

Do you think the fact that Cleveland is set at SS for 10 years with Lindor might sway Freeman at all?? Sure Freeman can play 2nd but I bet Cleveland locks up Lindor long term and will create a log jam at SS.

Baseball is unpredictable and trades happen often. You don't turn down an offer based on current competition, you just take the money or don't. I think he's gone.

Moose Stuff

Rough first day. Not the best day in Saarloos' tenure. These kinds of mishaps, if cont over time, have gotten asst coaches fired before.

I mentioned gonzo and the NL west team here recently, he's gone. Freeman isn't too surprising either, wanted $1mm and he will get it. Same for Gonzo.

Sloan is the next guy, maybe the tall lefty who's name I can't remember too. They are both projects but with major upside. Like 1/1 overall upside.

Generally speaking, getting through round 10 is important, but past round 15 is the true safe zone. After 15, we should be totally in the clear.

It's a MASSIVE stretch to even hint that Saarloos will be held accountable for this. As for the other signees, Sloan is a longshot to get drafted and sign and Smith is as close to zero as you can get. And neither has 1/1 potential, that's just absurd. The other kid the staff was worried about is Oviedo, I'd call losing him possible but unlikely.

flyfishingfrog

So Moose, what percentage of kids that go straight to the pros but 10 years later aren't playing anymore ever come back to college?

I ask because, without trying to be obnoxious, $900k isn't much really even at 18 yrs old when you compare it to lower earning potential for 35 years without a college degree later.

And it's not like going to college precludes you of playing pro ball either

Everyone acts like it's a ton of money but even investing it all is far from going to set you up for life

ScottPatrick

So you are saying TCU shouldn't sign the top players in the country because they may lose them to the draft? Its all about backup plans and the biggest need in this class was infielders and they loaded up with shortstops including Danny Crews who was added a few weeks ago.

Glad you recognized what everyone else was saying about these recruits but you are assuming the coaching staff for some reason didn't. Hate to bust your gloating bubble but they did. This happens every year and TCU has been lucky to get some of the elite players to forgo signing but the staff always knows the risks involved.

Sigh. Y'all are reading way too much into my comments. Take a step back, nobody is calling for jobs or anything close. Just wanted to mention precedent and remind folks who is responsible for building the class (Saarloos). Assistant coaches HAVE been fired for signing too many top level guys, only to have them leave for MLB. There's a fine line that has to be walked.

Sloan and Smith could have 1/1 potential in 2020, that was my point. It's not outside the question.

Moose Stuff

So Moose, what percentage of kids that go straight to the pros but 10 years later aren't playing anymore ever come back to college?

I ask because, without trying to be obnoxious, $900k isn't much really even at 18 yrs old when you compare it to lower earning potential for 35 years without a college degree later.

And it's not like going to college precludes you of playing pro ball either

Everyone acts like it's a ton of money but even investing it all is far from going to set you up for life

Not many go back to school. That being said $900,000 and $250,000 worth of free school is a [ Finebaum ] load of money.

Moose Stuff

Sigh. Y'all are reading way too much into my comments. Take a step back, nobody is calling for jobs or anything close. Just wanted to mention precedent and remind folks who is responsible for building the class (Saarloos). Assistant coaches HAVE been fired for signing too many top level guys, only to have them leave for MLB. There's a fine line that has to be walked.

Sloan and Smith could have 1/1 potential in 2020, that was my point. It's not outside the question.

If Smith has 1/1 potential then almost every freshman we sign has 1/1 potential.

Punter1

I see your point...but I think Saarloos probably has the best job security of any assistant in any college sport in the country.

f_399

Looking at the draft board, when Skoug gets drafted, he will get around $900k or lower? Is that worth it?

Any chance he comes back?

TCUdirtbag

Looking at the draft board, when Skoug gets drafted, he will get around $900k or lower? Is that worth it?

Any chance he comes back?

If he comes back for his last year of eligibility he loses all leverage. He's unlikely to go up any draft boards from this year to next, so if he comes back it's mostly just a huge financial concession.

zfrawg

Obviously there are exceptions as Pitt clearly botched Lodolo last year (someone has or will eventually lose their job over that IMO), but in the VAST majority of cases teams are not picking these kids without KNOWING that they can sign them....... "Hey Tyler, this is the Cleveland Indians, we're just calling to make sure that if we take you here in the second round and offer you the recommended slot for that pick that you're ready to sign". Kid says yes, you take him. Kid says no, you call the next guy on your list. Again, there are exceptions like Lodolo, but they are few and far between.

so you're saying there's a chance!?

i kid, i kid

Latest posts