• The KillerFrogs

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Preview: Wisconsin vs. Texas Christian

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel: Preview: Wisconsin vs. Texas Christian

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH
RUN TO WIN: The battle between Wisconsin's running game and the Horned Frogs' defense has been dissected and debated for several weeks. UW is 12th nationally in rushing offense (247.3 yards per game) and is the only team in the nation that has three players with at least 800 rushing yards. TCU is No. 3 against the run (89.2) and has allowed 1,070 rushing yards in 12 games. UW freshman tailback James White has rushed for 1,029 yards in 11 games. "I think we match up good," UW left tackle Gabe Carimi said, referring to the TCU defensive line. "I feel we have a really good run game and I think we'll test their run defense with our good running game. We have a great quarterback, so when we start running well, we'll have some options."

TCU ON THE CLOCK: UW's players and coaches take pride in the team's ability to win the time-of-possession battle, and the Badgers' average edge this season is 5 minutes 18 seconds (32:39-27:11). Yet TCU embraces the same offensive philosophy, and the Horned Frogs hold the ball for an average of 9:08 longer than their opponents (34:34-25:26). The Horned Frogs keep their defense rested by converting 52% of their third downs. UW, coincidentally, allows opponents to convert third downs at a rate of 39%. The UW defense must get third-down stops. "I would say the best defense we've had this year is when our offense has had the football," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "I think that is the key. It's really easy to call defense when your arms are folded and you're (getting) first downs. So I think one of the keys to this game is our offense being able to control the football and making first downs. I think you have to score against Wisconsin. You just can't move the football and punt." ...