• The KillerFrogs

Met the TCU legend Bob Lilly!

Horny4TCU

That's amazing.

jealous bbc one GIF by BBC

Toad Jones

He used to have the worst handwriting. Mostly scrawl and very small. One helluva fellow. He used to live in a subdivision in Georgetown. Probably still lives there. Like gohornedfrogs said, he is quiet but very warm in personality. I'll bet gohornedfrogs never got more than 50 words out of him in conversation. I was a freshman when Bob was a senior, and I stood in awe of him b/c he was a fantastic person and one of the best in football players in history!. Abnormally strong with a quick reaction time, the competition really didn't stand a chance with Bob on a one on one.

In walking to lunch one day,(in those days we ate at the old student centre) one of the guys joking around with Bob,'' hey Lilly, pick up the Volkswagen and put in front of the old student centre stairs. He smiled a little, said that's pretty heavy and politely picked that VW up and did, indeed, put it in front of the stairs. Robert stood 6 feet 7" and three quarters with not an ounce of fat anyway. You want to put up a full statue of a great Frog, first in line would be Bob. When Bob goes to another place, I'll you folks, there won't be a place large enough to hold everyone who wants to pay respects to Bob Lilly. And would you believe it, he came from a little place in West Texas called Throckmorton. At some point as I remember, he lived in central Oregon as his father was employed on a huge dam project there. This should rip a good one on you, this town in Oregon did put up a statue of Bob on town square and I think a park was named after him.

Toad Jones

@Toad Jones - As I said my goodbye, I thanked Mr. Lilly for coming back from Oregon to be a Horned Frog. He said, “I couldn’t wait to come back!”
So he does live in Oregon now? That does not surprise me one bit because he enjoyed central Oregon and said he might live there one day. That means then, Oregon is now his permanent address and live there forever. Thanks Shrev for update. BTW that area of Oregon is cow country and not at all like the western part of Oregon. Along those lines, this area of Central Oregon has been trying to get the political figures in the western part of the state to let them succeed from Oregon and pronounce a different state altogether. This is not a whimsical wish because these folks of eastern Oregon have the votes to do exactly that. They're are parts of California who want to do the same thing,..... succeed.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
So he does live in Oregon now? That does not surprise me one bit because he enjoyed central Oregon and said he might live there one day. Thanks Shrev for update.
Last I heard he lived in New Mexico doing photography.

I had a chance to meet him at a function in the 90s and still looked like he could play. Had the biggest hands I’ve ever seen. I asked if I could see his Super Bowl ring and was so nice to let me try it on. It rattled around on my thumb. I asked him what he‘d have been like with today‘s diet and weight rooms at TCU. He just said I might have been a pretty fair. I told him they might not have let him play because he might kill someone. He just chuckled. So humble and soft spoken.

Did you witness the VW thing? I think they tell that story about every big guy at TCU. In my day someone allegedly parked behind John Ruthstrom’s car when he was picking up his girlfriend at Sherley and supposedly picked up the front of a VW and pivoted it out of his way.

Frog DJ

I grew up less than a mile from campus (2717 Mission Street), and I often rode my bicycle over to watch the Frogs practice.

Bob Lilly would ALWAYS go out of his way to be nice to kids. He never knew my name, but he would grin and say, “Hi Red!”

I had several red headed friends, so I didn’t want people to call me “Red,” but it was a great compliment coming from Lilly.

Go Frogs!

Wog68

So he does live in Oregon now? That does not surprise me one bit because he enjoyed central Oregon and said he might live there one day. That means then, Oregon is now his permanent address and live there forever. Thanks Shrev for update. BTW that area of Oregon is cow country and not at all like the western part of Oregon. Along those lines, this area of Central Oregon has been trying to get the political figures in the western part of the state to let them succeed from Oregon and pronounce a different state altogether. This is not a whimsical wish because these folks of eastern Oregon have the votes to do exactly that. They're are parts of California who want to do the same thing,..... succeed.
I lived in Washington for 7 years. People in Eastern Washington, N. Idaho, and W. Montanna have been trying without success to form the state of "Columbia".

Latest posts