• The KillerFrogs

*Maybe* LSU's chickens finally coming home to roost?

Mean Purple

Not sure how they can pin this to the school without some e-mail from a coach, etc. LSU boosters are like the 1980 Clemson boosters. Mostly run on their own in search of power parts of the state that nobody cares about. Gumbo kings, if you will. And likely nobody above some low level recruit staff/coach knew about it. That boys club is also why they have problems. Hard for coaches to run a program with every car dealer, insurance agent and restaurant owner in the state trying to be bossman. Saban could not get out of there quick enough.

Don't get me wrong, Coach O has his heart in the right place is a perfect fit, in part, because he will suffer anything for his favorite school on monther earth. So they'll violate that etouffee eating stack of country bumbles for all it's worth.

Mean Purple

the song is an all-time classic and in all honesty might undersell coach o's time in oxford.

if you have a few minutes here are a couple of links you might find interesting.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2de0f896-b546-11e7-9852-3ff524967dce.html

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_2de0f896-b546-11e7-9852-3ff524967dce.html
Can't you just picture that chancellor getting coached up by Coach O?
"Ok, Robert, on the count of Gumbo, lauch out of the stance and make sure you quarter angle..."

Eight

Not sure how they can pin this to the school without some e-mail from a coach, etc. LSU boosters are like the 1980 Clemson boosters. Mostly run on their own in search of power parts of the state that nobody cares about. Gumbo kings, if you will. And likely nobody above some low level recruit staff/coach knew about it. That boys club is also why they have problems. Hard for coaches to run a program with every car dealer, insurance agent and restaurant owner in the state trying to be bossman. Saban could not get out of there quick enough.

Don't get me wrong, Coach O has his heart in the right place is a perfect fit, in part, because he will suffer anything for his favorite school on monther earth. So they'll violate that etouffee eating stack of country bumbles for all it's worth.

i agree that there is a very good chance that coach o isn't directly involved with any wrong doings and i do find it plausible he really doesn't know the details of any wrong doings.

not making fun of him, simply going by past history at other incidents at other schools.

here is a link to barry tramel's august 2006 article written in response to the big red sports and import scandal in which starting quarterback rhett bomar and starting offensive guard j.d. quinn were on the big red payroll, but never worked at big red.

some might recall that when big red was asked to provide payroll records for some reason big red couldn't find any payroll records for any employees during the time period in question.

my favorite part of the article however is adrian peterson rolling around in a leased lexus and his father being paroled from a texas prison to a halfway house in oklahoma city and landing a job at a car lot of a sooner booster in edmond with a history of "issues" with the program and the ncaa.

https://oklahoman.com/article/2825273/tradition-of-scandal-returns

next is an article from the august 1993 new york times discussing the resignation of university of washington coaching legend don james. james' dawg team won a co-national title in 1991 and the program was investigated by the pac 10 at the urging of stanford coach bill walsh.

family who are uw alums will tell you that james was very open he nor the athletic department did not keep track of the type of cars their players drove and uw had no athletic dorm so they weren't even sure exactly where all there kids lived while in school.

two big issues jumped out. first, starting quarterback billy job hobart while on a summer trip to idaho met a guy who wasn't even a uw alum playing golf and the guy loaned hobart $50,000 in hope of a future business relationship once hobart turned pro.

second was an alumi group called the huskie hunters was formed and they were were directly contacting high school prospects for the school, saying they represented the school, and would provide information back to the program.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/23/sports/football-huskies-don-james-quits-over-penalties.html

finally, i have been told multiple times by multiple people that when jim wacker took over the program at tcu he called a meeting with the players and told them the payments was going to stop and called a meeting among key alums and told them the payments were going to stop. not sure what else wacker could have done when a decision was made to continue to make payments to a group of players regardless of his expressed requests and anyone who ever met jim wacker knows this wasn't a wink-wink-nod-nod comments similar to rick pitino and his stripper comments at louisville

Mean Purple

i agree that there is a very good chance that coach o isn't directly involved with any wrong doings and i do find it plausible he really doesn't know the details of any wrong doings.

not making fun of him, simply going by past history at other incidents at other schools.

here is a link to barry tramel's august 2006 article written in response to the big red sports and import scandal in which starting quarterback rhett bomar and starting offensive guard j.d. quinn were on the big red payroll, but never worked at big red.

some might recall that when big red was asked to provide payroll records for some reason big red couldn't find any payroll records for any employees during the time period in question.

my favorite part of the article however is adrian peterson rolling around in a leased lexus and his father being paroled from a texas prison to a halfway house in oklahoma city and landing a job at a car lot of a sooner booster in edmond with a history of "issues" with the program and the ncaa.

https://oklahoman.com/article/2825273/tradition-of-scandal-returns

next is an article from the august 1993 new york times discussing the resignation of university of washington coaching legend don james. james' dawg team won a co-national title in 1991 and the program was investigated by the pac 10 at the urging of stanford coach bill walsh.

family who are uw alums will tell you that james was very open he nor the athletic department did not keep track of the type of cars their players drove and uw had no athletic dorm so they weren't even sure exactly where all there kids lived while in school.

two big issues jumped out. first, starting quarterback billy job hobart while on a summer trip to idaho met a guy who wasn't even a uw alum playing golf and the guy loaned hobart $50,000 in hope of a future business relationship once hobart turned pro.

second was an alumi group called the huskie hunters was formed and they were were directly contacting high school prospects for the school, saying they represented the school, and would provide information back to the program.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/08/23/sports/football-huskies-don-james-quits-over-penalties.html

finally, i have been told multiple times by multiple people that when jim wacker took over the program at tcu he called a meeting with the players and told them the payments was going to stop and called a meeting among key alums and told them the payments were going to stop. not sure what else wacker could have done when a decision was made to continue to make payments to a group of players regardless of his expressed requests and anyone who ever met jim wacker knows this wasn't a wink-wink-nod-nod comments similar to rick pitino and his stripper comments at louisville
Have actually heard of the huskie hunters before. Folks from Washington still harp on that.

And yes, I have heard the same thing about Wacker. TCU and Wacker were seriously screwed over by the NCAA. The dude kicked guys off the team quickly and self reported when he found out those guys had taken benefits. Contrast that with how the NCAA has handled baylor's issues, which were covered up for competitive advantage - a key term for the ncaa, and you have to shake your head.

Eight

Have actually heard of the huskie hunters before. Folks from Washington still harp on that.

And yes, I have heard the same thing about Wacker. TCU and Wacker were seriously screwed over by the NCAA. The dude kicked guys off the team quickly and self reported when he found out those guys had taken benefits. Contrast that with how the NCAA has handled baylor's issues, which were covered up for competitive advantage - a key term for the ncaa, and you have to shake your head.

wife's brother-in-law was part of the huskie hunters, great guy, who absolutely saw that he and the others were doing nothing wrong in contacting kids and telling them uw was possibly interested in them.

if i am not mistaken they were one of the reasons the ncaa stepped up the rules on alumni contact with prospects.

funny thing is an alum can't be upfront and tell a kid they think they are a great prospect and will be telling the football staff about them, but someone who writes for a website that covers a specific school can interact with a prospect on a regular basis when some of the "web experts" make no bones about their biases.

Mean Purple

wife's brother-in-law was part of the huskie hunters, great guy, who absolutely saw that he and the others were doing nothing wrong in contacting kids and telling them uw was possibly interested in them.

if i am not mistaken they were one of the reasons the ncaa stepped up the rules on alumni contact with prospects.

funny thing is an alum can't be upfront and tell a kid they think they are a great prospect and will be telling the football staff about them, but someone who writes for a website that covers a specific school can interact with a prospect on a regular basis when some of the "web experts" make no bones about their biases.

That's a great point.

Billy Clyde

Not disagreeing with your point but ironical as heck when viewed through the, "Lack of Institutional Control," rubric, which was apparently kewl at NCAA HQ for a minute but no longer is.

Eight

That's a great point.

couple of friends are high school head football coaches in texas and both have been fortunate to have kids in their programs that have been recruited by a number of schools.

they tell some interesting stories, especially during the early days of internet recruiting websites of "experts" calling and basically telling these guys it was their responsibility as coaches to provide the sites with video so the kids could go to a big program that would truly develop their talent.

my favorite story ends with the head coach simply naming off the various college coaching staffs that had stopped by his office that week.

Latest posts