• The KillerFrogs

Matador Club offers $25K contracts to 100 Texas Tech football players

Eight

I'm not defending them, if anything it's jealousy like I said.

Reasons:
-Finished the season with a bowl win and winning record, we finished 5-7 and didn't make a bowl.
-Recruiting: currently in 14th, we're at 32
-Coaching hire that galvanized the entire fan base, and TX high school coaches just about everywhere. Out side of DFW, Sonny didn't move the needle.
-$250 million stadium add on
-One of the most lucrative if not the most lucrative NIL deals in college football. Something of which our coach mouthed off about and right, wrong or indifferent what he said, it's something their entire fan base rallied around, as dumb as it may have been. That's stuff that adds to a rivalry and they'll be carrying with them come November 5th.

I'm not saying they're winning the Big 12 this year, but they're trending up. I'm not so sure for us. I wanted GP gone more than just about anyone but I have no reason to believe we upgraded. I think Sonny will end up being a very lack luster hire and will have us consistently around .500 at best.

first, take the building project off the table because that has been in the works for awhile and part of those funds were held hostage by campbell. always a good sign for a program when alums are holding money until they get their way

galvanizing the fan base huh? joey is a master of coach speak and he will definitely talk the talk people want to hear, but can he do the job as a head coach at this level and can he hire a staff? regardless of all the hype speeches he has coached as head coach at this level in exactly 0 games and he has 5 years experience as a college assistant . hopefully those five years experience make the transition a bit easier than say the jump was for todd dodge

as far as the texas high school coaches "just above everywhere" you and i must know different high school coaches or you are spending way, way, way too much time reading the tech message boards. i don't know anyone who coaches in high school who is hoping joey fails because he is one of them, but i don't think there is a consensus he is the slam dunk you believe. the guys who have coached in high school and college talk about the difference and having to deal with far more distractions and influences in college. there were no booster who just pledged 25 M at cedar hill who played football at cedar hill and might have a few thoughts on the program

finally, which rankings are you looking at? i already pointed out that with all this momentum 3/4 of tech's class committed by april so in all actuality sonny has been closing the gap and the real difference is not the quality of prospects but the numbers

obviously this has you a bit hot and bothered but some of us understand that in the modern game there is more than one way to acquire talent to a roster these days. consider the additions the frogs have made at cornerback since last fall. they signed two good prospect, but also brought in a starter from a very solid team last year and another quality back up who is a sophomore.

according to you, i should be concerned because of the recruiting rankings and then i see sonny and his staff have added two 6'+ athletes at corner who are physically ahead of most high school kids and suddenly the rankings don't quite seem to matter as much

big key is ron hit the nail on the head, you don't like sonny and we get it, but a number of us are actually going to wait until the games start because that is what matters and not this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] you seemed to be wrapped up in.

Last edited:

HornyFrogs4

fairly certain we have done more than $4,000 so you should be impressed
But does The Flying T Club have 2.5 Million Dollars to fund 85 scholarship athletes and 15 walk-ons annually? This includes Redshirt freshmen, Transfers, kids with season-ending injuries, EVERY PERSON ON THE TEAM. At some point, we need EVERYONE to put their money where their mouth is, not just prominent donors, to be able to offer something similar. Depth is very important in D1 football, and sure we might be able to give 20-30 guys big money and land them, but what about the rest of the roster? How does that affect the continuity in the locker room - You show up to work every day, go through the same practices, do the same workouts, make the same sacrifices and yet you get nothing? Like I said in my previous post, TTU's model might not make sense for the blue bloods, but for programs like ours, this is a major competitive disadvantage when it comes down to recruiting and landing solid two deep players and the fly under the radar three star that ends up First Team All-Conference.

Eight

But does The Flying T Club have 2.5 Million Dollars to fund 85 scholarship athletes and 15 walk-ons annually? This includes Redshirt freshmen, Transfers, kids with season-ending injuries, EVERY PERSON ON THE TEAM. At some point, we need EVERYONE to put their money where their mouth is, not just prominent donors, to be able to offer something similar. Depth is very important in D1 football, and sure we might be able to give 20-30 guys big money and land them, but what about the rest of the roster? How does that affect the continuity in the locker room - You show up to work every day, go through the same practices, do the same workouts, make the same sacrifices and yet you get nothing? Like I said in my previous post, TTU's model might not make sense for the blue bloods, but for programs like ours, this is a major competitive disadvantage when it comes down to recruiting and landing solid two deep players and the fly under the radar three star that ends up First Team All-Conference.

scheiss if i know, but i am going to put about as much worry into the potential impact on the locker room chemistry and whatever else you said as if have about the sourced comments from twitter posters with 25 followers

people are paid really well to address these things and there are things in place to address the others.

you are way, way, way too young to worry about so many things you can't control so relax a bit okay or you will end up like bp

TechAdvisor

I guess. To me it’s just a reminder that Tech wants and needs any kind of publicity it can get. And I say that as someone who generally supports their endeavors.
99% of Tech fans had zero clue who Bryan Carrington was on July 18, 2022, it's not like Tech asked to be attacked and publicly negatively recruited just for publicity.

TCU's "offensive analyst" has a history of publicly negative recruiting at his previous jobs(of which he seems to move around quite a bit) and while that will clearly win support of 99% fans in a tiny subsection of DFW, publicly negative recruiting and attacking an entire region of 950,000+ individuals doesn't equate to Tech fans "wanting and needing publicity".

If you would have said, "it's just a reminder that TCU's new coaching staff wants and needs any kind of publicity it can get with the new coaching staff 8 commits behind Joey McGuire and Staff" I may have agreed with you.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Yeah, I think it's impressive. $4k isn't a ton of money but the fact that one message board raised it in a couple hours all in the spirit of a bit, that's impressive to me.

You think this place could pull it off? Let's try.

Agree they talk but as I've said college football is all what you've done for me lately and they have a lot more momentum than we do. We both ended the season with an interim coach. They went to a bowl game and won, we went home with a 5-7 record. I'm not defending them but a stones/glass houses things at the moment. The momentum is in their favor far more than ours for a number of reasons. I don't know anyone who was galvanized by the Sonny hire, I certainly wasn't.

We'll see what happens this season but they're on a role.
I’ll pay $4000 if you [ Finebaum ] the scheiss up.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
99% of Tech fans had zero clue who Bryan Carrington was on July 18, 2022, it's not like Tech asked to be attacked and publicly negatively recruited just for publicity.

TCU's "offensive analyst" has a history of publicly negative recruiting at his previous jobs(of which he seems to move around quite a bit) and while that will clearly win support of 99% fans in a tiny subsection of DFW, publicly negative recruiting and attacking an entire region of 950,000+ individuals doesn't equate to Tech fans "wanting and needing publicity".

If you would have said, "it's just a reminder that TCU's new coaching staff wants and needs any kind of publicity it can get with the new coaching staff 8 commits behind Joey McGuire and Staff" I may have agreed with you.
Still lower average rating. You’re a dumbass. But to be expected from someone that went to Tech. Enjoy your moment. Your football team has still to this day never won a single significant thing. Not one.

Eight

so do you get a trophy for having more commits in july?

does any of this truly matter more than say winning games and if not go the scheiss away because sonny at tcu has the same record as joey in lubbock but sonny doesn't have to live in lubbock so that is a big win for him

Chongo94

Again, and the main point that many people, especially the Tech fans up in arms about all this seem to be missing is, that no one seems to be refuting his main points.

Everyone out there took one sentence, which was factually correct….Lubbock does border the upwards regions of a desert and lower regions of the plains (which some might consider as a sort of desert as well) and got all hurt over it even though again, it’s factually correct.

He made some valid points and it’s hardly negative recruiting nor an attack on entire region. No one even seems to be attempting to refute his actual points. That pretty much says it all right there.

I come from west Texas….it IS a desert and it’s hard to maintain a decent living out there depending on the viability of certain industries. I don’t take offense to that, it is what it is. I don’t take offense when people point out bad things about Fort Worth…hell, I’ll point them out as well. Lbk people have this weird cult like obsession with defending everything and anything about Lbk for some reason, however.

Per your other points, there’s not a young coach in the nation throughout the history of college football that hasn’t moved around much unless they’re just extremely lucky. I don’t really follow recruiting so I don’t know how many commits TCU has or Tech has.

Last edited:

bp4tcu

first, take the building project off the table because that has been in the works for awhile and part of those funds were held hostage by campbell. always a good sign for a program when alums are holding money until they get their way

galvanizing the fan base huh? joey is a master of coach speak and he will definitely talk the talk people want to hear, but can he do the job as a head coach at this level and can he hire a staff? regardless of all the hype speeches he has coached as head coach at this level in exactly 0 games and he has 5 years experience as a college assistant . hopefully those five years experience make the transition a bit easier than say the jump was for todd dodge

as far as the texas high school coaches "just above everywhere" you and i must know different high school coaches or you are spending way, way, way too much time reading the tech message boards. i don't know anyone who coaches in high school who is hoping joey fails because he is one of them, but i don't think there is a consensus he is the slam dunk you believe. the guys who have coached in high school and college talk about the difference and having to deal with far more distractions and influences in college. there were no booster who just pledged 25 M at cedar hill who played football at cedar hill and might have a few thoughts on the program

finally, which rankings are you looking at? i already pointed out that with all this momentum 3/4 of tech's class committed by april so in all actuality sonny has been closing the gap and the real difference is not the quality of prospects but the numbers

obviously this has you a bit hot and bothered but some of us understand that in the modern game there is more than one way to acquire talent to a roster these days. consider the additions the frogs have made at cornerback since last fall. they signed two good prospect, but also brought in a starter from a very solid team last year and another quality back up who is a sophomore.

according to you, i should be concerned because of the recruiting rankings and then i see sonny and his staff have added two 6'+ athletes at corner who are physically ahead of most high school kids and suddenly the rankings don't quite seem to matter as much

big key is ron hit the nail on the head, you don't like sonny and we get it, but a number of us are actually going to wait until the games start because that is what matters and not this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] you seemed to be wrapped up in.
The rankings I'm looking at are right here, from a little site called rivals.

And for the funds? Who cares about all that. It's there now, right as realignment looms again. That's $250 million more than we have.

I’ll pay $4000 if you [ #2020 ] the scheiss up.

Deal. Show me a receipt of your $4,000 donation to the FTF and I'll never post here again.

This. One our our coaches mouthed off and as a result has done more to help Texas Tech than he has TCU at this point.

Eight

The rankings I'm looking at are right here, from a little site called rivals.

And for the funds? Who cares about all that. It's there now, right as realignment looms again. That's $250 million more than we have.

Deal. Show me a receipt of your $4,000 donation to the FTF and I'll never post here again.

This. One our our coaches mouthed off and as a result has done more to help Texas Tech than he has TCU at this point.
have a great idea where tcu can get the money to "catch up" with tech

shove some charcoal where the sun doesn't shine and we will have diamonds in no time because you are way too uptight about this

TechAdvisor

Again, and the main point that many people, especially the Tech fans up in arms about all this seem to be missing is, that no one seems to be refuting his main points.

Everyone out there took one sentence, which was factually correct….Lubbock does border the upwards regions of a desert and lower regions of the plains (which some might consider as a sort of desert as well) and got all hurt over it even though again, it’s factually correct.

He made some valid points and it’s hardly negative recruiting nor an attack on entire region. No one even seems to be attempting to refute his actual points. That pretty much says it all right there.

I come from west Texas….it IS a desert and it’s hard to maintain a decent living out there depending on the viability of certain industries. I don’t take offense to that, it is what it is. I don’t take offense when people point out bad things about Fort Worth…hell, I’ll point them out as well. Lbk people have this weird cult like obsession with defending everything and anything about Lbk for some reason, however.

Per your other points, there’s not a young coach in the nation throughout the history of college football that hasn’t moved around much unless they’re just extremely lucky. I don’t really follow recruiting so I don’t know how many commits TCU has or Tech has.
Again, you made the claim that Tech seeks the publicity, but a TCU coach is the one who attacked Tech, not the other way around.

His main point is just ignorant. "That extra 2K is going to be a concrete ceiling for most players" and that extra $0 is going to be a concrete ceiling for most players who commit to a program without a NIL collective paying every single player. He's responding to a Texas Tech collective set up by one of Texas Tech's multiple billionaire former players(under 40), inferring you would be able to make more money attending another school. I guess being a billionaire isn't successful enough for Carrington. I guess the highest paid player in NFL history isn't enough money.

As for the desert comment, it's difficult to scientifically pin down a definition of a desert but everyone does seem to agree that one of the qualifications needs to be less than 10in of average annual rainfall, which would in and of itself knock Lubbock out of the category.

I really don't care if some mouthy blowhard spouts off on twitter, but let's stop pretending he's some well-intentioned truthsayer and just call it like it is. Negative recruiting opponents, putting others down to boost yourself up.

For what it's worth, looks like his tweet was so irrefutably perfectly filled with facts that he's since deleted it. Hopefully Sonny(a successful and wealthy Texas Tech graduate who grew up in Lubbock) had a talk with him. I really like both Sonny's (Dykes and Cumbie) BTW, great family men of God. Raised right.

Eight

Again, you made the claim that Tech seeks the publicity, but a TCU coach is the one who attacked Tech, not the other way around.

His main point is just ignorant. "That extra 2K is going to be a concrete ceiling for most players" and that extra $0 is going to be a concrete ceiling for most players who commit to a program without a NIL collective paying every single player. He's responding to a Texas Tech collective set up by one of Texas Tech's multiple billionaire former players(under 40), inferring you would be able to make more money attending another school. I guess being a billionaire isn't successful enough for Carrington. I guess the highest paid player in NFL history isn't enough money.

As for the desert comment, it's difficult to scientifically pin down a definition of a desert but everyone does seem to agree that one of the qualifications needs to be less than 10in of average annual rainfall, which would in and of itself knock Lubbock out of the category.

I really don't care if some mouthy blowhard spouts off on twitter, but let's stop pretending he's some well-intentioned truthsayer and just call it like it is. Negative recruiting opponents, putting others down to boost yourself up.

For what it's worth, looks like his tweet was so irrefutably perfectly filled with facts that he's since deleted it. Hopefully Sonny(a successful and wealthy Texas Tech graduate who grew up in Lubbock) had a talk with him. I really like both Sonny's (Dykes and Cumbie) BTW, great family men of God. Raised right.

remind us ole' south plains sage of the sage brush

with the HIGHEST paid player in NFL history, a super bowl winning quarterback, on three teams lead by a future NFL head coach how many games did tech win overall? sure the conference record was a better representation what tech did with that NFL caliber talent and leadership

heck, thinking about it a bit, the three years of pat and kingsbury in Lubbock might be THE most tech thing imaginable

didn't win a scheissing thing that mattered

Chongo94

That’s ridiculous. You don’t even know that yet. How has this helped Tech? Have they suddenly signed 85 4-star players? Does suddenly every kid from Houston want to drive 9 hours to play for them now? Does every wide receiver from Los Angeles think Tech is where it’s at now?

You seem to be equating fan energy and annoyance with recruiting and it just doesn’t work that way.

If, and that’s a huge IF, Tech suddenly goes gangbusters and recruits specifically mention this episode of comments by Carrington as helping motivate them to sign with Tech, then maybe you’ll have a point. Until then though, it just appears as weird wishful thinking.

Chongo94

We seem to be looking at his points from different angles. I think you may be right and he may be wrong about the $2k thing but I think he was coming at it from a brand building belief in which I think he’s more than likely to be correct. He basically states that about brand building later and what happens when they are no longer on the roster.

And there’s no doubt an athlete in dfw may have more options to “build their brand” than in Lbk. There’s only so many Carpet Tech ads they can do out there. And the multibillionaire Double Eagle guys aren’t funding brand building and commercials for the players, they’re just helping to fund the fund. An athlete that can earn some decent nil stuff in a more diverse economic location has a better chance of retaining their marketability after their playing days are over than in a smaller metro area with less economic diversity.

I’m pretty sure that’s one of the problems that has plagued Tech and Lbk for years, retaining students once they graduate. If I remember correctly, the two entered into some sort of program a decade or so ago to really try to examine and combat the problem but you can speak more to that than me.

Regarding the scientific stuff, come on man, you know no one does it like that. If we were on the street just randomly asking people if they thought that area of Texas was like a desert, likely 6-7 out of 10 would say yes.

bp4tcu

have a great idea where tcu can get the money to "catch up" with tech

shove some charcoal where the sun doesn't shine and we will have diamonds in no time because you are way too uptight about this
Uptight about what? I'm just calling it like I see it but most on here, you included, can't take when someone has something other than rainbows and roses to say about TCU.

It's funny how so many are saying this doesn't matter or it's wrong, or whatever, but here we are, 6 pages into a discussion about it and our NIL can't even touch theirs. If it's such a non factor, why such a discussion about it?

I mean, we're arguing over where a desert actually begins and ends in order to defend Carrington. Seems like there was a mistep somewhere if that's the best we can come up with.

Meanwhile, TTU is laughing their asses off at us and making fun of us just about every turn.

Eight

Uptight about what? I'm just calling it like I see it but most on here, you included, can't take when someone has something other than rainbows and roses to say about TCU.

It's funny how so many are saying this doesn't matter or it's wrong, or whatever, but here we are, 6 pages into a discussion about it and our NIL can't even touch theirs. If it's such a non factor, why such a discussion about it?

I mean, we're arguing over where a desert actually begins and ends in order to defend Carrington. Seems like there was a mistep somewhere if that's the best we can come up with.

Meanwhile, TTU is laughing their asses off at us and making fun of us just about every turn.

yes uptight, in typing that reply you could have crapped out 10-12 carats

screw what tech thinks and most of this threadais people telling you to calm down

Last edited: