• The KillerFrogs

Macon Telegraph: Schlabach sees weaknesses in BCS

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

By MICHAEL A. LOUGH - mlough@macon.com

For a long time, Mark Schlabach didn't have much trouble with the BCS process.

But the national college writer for ESPN.com and contributor to ESPN thinks this season has the potential to accelerate serious talk toward a college football playoff.

"The BCS, I think, is its own worst enemy," said Schlabach, the speaker at Monday night's Macon Touchdown Club. "If you're a fan of the playoff, I think you're hoping Auburn finishes undefeated, you're hoping Oregon finishes undefeated, you're hoping Michigan State finishes undefeated, you're hoping Missouri finishes undefeated.

"You're hoping Boise State and TCU finish undefeated. I think that's the only way we'll get a playoff, if there's mass chaos." ...

By MICHAEL A. LOUGH - mlough@macon.com

For a long time, Mark Schlabach didn't have much trouble with the BCS process.

But the national college writer for ESPN.com and contributor to ESPN thinks this season has the potential to accelerate serious talk toward a college football playoff.

"The BCS, I think, is its own worst enemy," said Schlabach, the speaker at Monday night's Macon Touchdown Club. "If you're a fan of the playoff, I think you're hoping Auburn finishes undefeated, you're hoping Oregon finishes undefeated, you're hoping Michigan State finishes undefeated, you're hoping Missouri finishes undefeated.

"You're hoping Boise State and TCU finish undefeated. I think that's the only way we'll get a playoff, if there's mass chaos." ...

Actually, disagree. If several AQ teams wind up undefeated, it won't matter if TCU and Boise do, just like last year. There will be some gnashing of teeth over the AQ's that get left out, but if an undefeated SEC team getting left out in 2004 didn't shake up the system, it won't this time either. The worst case scenario for the BCS is for TCU (or Utah) and Boise to be the ONLY undefeateds. Or if a 1-loss SEC team gets in over an undefeated Missouri or Michigan State. That might really stir the pot ...

Actually, disagree. If several AQ teams wind up undefeated, it won't matter if TCU and Boise do, just like last year. There will be some gnashing of teeth over the AQ's that get left out, but if an undefeated SEC team getting left out in 2004 didn't shake up the system, it won't this time either. The worst case scenario for the BCS is for TCU (or Utah) and Boise to be the ONLY undefeateds. Or if a 1-loss SEC team gets in over an undefeated Missouri or Michigan State. That might really stir the pot ...

I tend to agree, especially with the part about how an undefeated Auburn getting left out of the championship game seemingly put no pressure on the BCS. Which leads me to believe that the ONLY pressure the BCS will ever feel is political. The TV networks and the NCAA aren't going to put any pressure on them, and neither will the university presidents. The fans don't even have a say.

Gunner

I tend to agree, especially with the part about how an undefeated Auburn getting left out of the championship game seemingly put no pressure on the BCS. Which leads me to believe that the ONLY pressure the BCS will ever feel is political. The TV networks and the NCAA aren't going to put any pressure on them, and neither will the university presidents. The fans don't even have a say.

I believe GoHornedFrogs hit the nail on it's head. Whores don't quit being whores. Only thing that relieves us of this agony is Congress or fan outrage. Neither likely. :angry:

Cougar/Frog

Having multiple undefeated teams will do nothing, we have seen it before without change.

I think the only real change will come with having a BSU/TCU championship....

HoustonHornedFrog

Don't forget that USC was also ranked no. 1 in both the human polls a couple of years ago and didn't make the NC game because of the computers. They tweak the system now and then when there is an uproar, but it will take and act of Congress to institute real change.

sous vide

I suspect it put pressure on inside the system that's still there, it's just that it was under threshold. The best hope is that several "atrocities" (from the POV of the present insiders) acting in concert to screw enough specific insider interests enough to make them move at some point. It could happen this year, even if TCU/BSU come up golden!

Unlikely, I know. But one can dream.