• The KillerFrogs

Luken hurt again but silver lining he's gonna be back in '19....

Punter1

....to be our Friday night starter again (crazy to think he actually was for a while) and DH while going full Ohtani with a Sub 2.00 ERA with 21 HRs......leading to Top 5 draft selection in 2019 up from a Round 5 projection for this year's draft.

Calling it now...I darning hope...

McFroggin

Hurt again?!

He almost needs to return for another year just to prove he isn’t going to snap in half.

So disappointing.

Punter1

A: Hitting 21 home runs while playing a majority of your games in Lupton is next to impossible.

2: What does he have left to prove?

1. I believe Schloss said we are playing a road heavy schedule next year with 3 game sets at New Mexico, BYU and Lake Tahoe State. That's at least 10 homers right there. Just kidding...I have no clue what the schedule is next year...but he could hit 21 easily where ever he plays iIF he stays completely healthy for an entire season.

2. That he can stay healthy for a full year...something he hasn't done yet. He was a dam good pitcher in 2015 before he got hurt and maybe he should revisit that skil set to increase his options...

Sebastian S

From some research seems to be a lower leg injury with a broken bone.

Was it from fielding or running the bases?

He is surely done for the year right?

Rockhound

Caught a spike in the dirt trying to slide into 2nd, freakish accident. The look on his face was pitiful, he knew it wasn't good. I am afraid that is the last time he plays at Lupton. Hope I am wrong.

Sebastian S

What's your assessment on him?

I honestly think he didn't play as well this year.

Some fielding errors and had a slump batting. Let's see what he hears from projections and maybe he decides to come back,

Punter1

A Top 5 draft position would be incredible for a college senior. More likely would be that he becomes a 9th-10th rounder with substantially lower signing bonus potential. Loss of leverage.

Has a college senior ever been taken in the Top 10? Jason Veritek maybe??? Well...first time for everything. Especially after he proves he can pitch a full season.

I know this is all a pipe dream...just trying to find a way to put some Arby sauce on this boat sammich....

MadFrog

There was no need to slide. He was out on a force play at second, but the SS made a motion like he needed to tag Luken. Then Luken tried to slide. The SS should have known it was a force out and Luken does not try to slide. Clearly real bad luck. Luken has been hurt all 3 years here. Sad to think what he could have done.

flyfishingfrog

There was no need to slide. He was out on a force play at second, but the SS made a motion like he needed to tag Luken. Then Luken tried to slide. The SS should have known it was a force out and Luken does not try to slide. Clearly real bad luck. Luken has been hurt all 3 years here. Sad to think what he could have done.
he wasn't out on a force - that was the problem.

The SS thought that the 1st baseman had stepped on 1st base when he fielded the grounder and thus the force at second was off so he needed to tag Luken - but the 1b had not stepped on the bag although from the SS perspective it was probably hard to tell.

So when the SS caught the ball he was actually not on 2nd base - he had stepped down the line toward Luken in order to tag him since he thought the force was off (incorrectly).

This move to tag Luken confused everyone including Luken - who looked to be like he was just running through the bag and when the SS stepped toward him to tag, he awkwardly tried to start sliding and caught a spike.

The reality is if the SS had just caught the ball on the bag and turned the double play normally - it would not have happened.

Or if Luken had always planned on sliding - which he probably should have been doing regardless of the force being on or not - then it probably wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:

flyfishingfrog

Luken is not coming back - and worse than that he has become a case study for the MLB scouts when they talk to high schoolers about why you should go pro instead of to college first - sucks for Luken, sucks for TCU and sucks for college baseball really.

MinFrog

That kid is a generational talent considering what he could do from the mound and the plate. No reason to try and blame either him or the coaches, but such a huge missed opportunity.

TCURiggs

What's your assessment on him?

I honestly think he didn't play as well this year.

Some fielding errors and had a slump batting. Let's see what he hears from projections and maybe he decides to come back,

Wha? Dude was hitting like .312 with 9 dingers and a lot of RBIs, and played solidly overall at 1B. My assesment is that he's one of the best hitters in college baseball and is an enormous (in every sense of the word) loss. He gone.

Pharm Frog

There was no need to slide.

There were all sorts of reasons to slide and one critically important reason as it turns out. It seemed to me that LB may have thought the ball was through for a single and was preparing for a turn toward third. That’s the only reason I can think of for not automatically sliding on that play.