• The KillerFrogs

Louisville Courier-Journal: One blog’s proposal for Big East survival

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Louisville Courier-Journal: One blog’s proposal for Big East survival

Eric Crawford

1). KEEP ITS EYE ON THE BCS BALL: Forget what other conferences are worrying about with expansion- TV markets and added value. The Big East is a conference in BCS survival mode. The Big East doesn’t need to be worried about TV markets or contracts at this point. It needs good football teams. Period. It needs teams who are Top 25-ready, wherever it can find them.

The Big East is assured, by contract, of automatic qualifier status through the 2013 season. At the end of that, if the Big East doesn’t meet the already-established minimum standards for BCS inclusion, it’s hard to see how the conference would be part of a new BCS automatic qualifier setup.

So here are the benchmarks it needs to be paying attention to: Over the seasons 2110 to 2013, it must focus on:

- The rank of the conference’s highest ranked team in the BCS standings. (In 2010, TCU finished No. 3. That’s why TCU is so important to this league. The next-highest in 2010? West Virginia at No. 22.) ...

HUT-Frog

At least I found one that agrees with me . . . the Big East has GOT-TA GOT-TA GOT-TA get Boise State. Somehow, someway.

HUT-Frog

It also becomes pretty clear that I need to root for USF to win every game this year, and move up the rankings -- for the future of the Big East.

GO BULLS!!!!! Be "Horny," my friends!

HFrog1999

While the ACC and Big 12 are considering adding low quality teams in markets they want, I like the idea of the Big East adding perennial Top 25 teams.

mtmedlin

the Big East needs USF to win out (we will play in the Orange bowl against an ACC team...very good shot at winning it)
WVU to win every game except USF (with losses against LSU and an undefeated USF, they will still be top 15)
TCU to win out and beat Boise. That should have you within top 12 or possible top 10. A 1 loss TCU probably wont make a BCS bowl but does have an outside chance at a Fiesta invite, considering that the B12 will probably be sending their #2 team and TCU would be a nice draw.

three teams in the top 15 will send a message...and yes, all those points will be assigned to the BE even though your in the MWC right now.

btw, if you did get a fiesta bid an then win the BE in 2012 (which of course I dont want you to since USF will win it ) then that means you would have gone to the Rose Bowl in 2010, Fiesta Bowl in 2011 and Orange Bowl in 2012. I dont think any team has done that.

YCBJ Frog

A 1 loss TCU probably wont make a BCS bowl but does have an outside chance at a Fiesta invite, considering that the B12 will probably be sending their #2 team and TCU would be a nice draw.

We're ranked #20 four games into the season and have a road game against a top 5 team late in the year. Do you really think we won't move up 8 spots and get a BCS invite if we don't lose another game?

macaroni

That should have you within top 12 or possible top 10. A 1 loss TCU probably wont make a BCS bowl but does have an outside chance at a Fiesta invite

Under this hypothetical scenario you've created, which nonAQ school do you see being ranked higher than us to take away our autobid under the rules? The top ranked nonAQ Is automatically in if ranked in the top 12 (or 16 if an AQ champ is lower).

HFrog1999

Boise and TCU are the only currently ranked non-AQ schools. If TCU wins out, Boise won't be MWC champion and can't even be considered for the non-AQ-AQ spot. A one loss TCU with a road victory over Boise would be a Top 12 team and would get the autobid.

cdsfrog

Easily could be only 4 spots

Don't mind him he doesn't understand the rules. Hell if we lose another and beat Boise we would still be 16 or higher and go to a BCS bowl

USF will obviously lose at least 1 or 2 games this year. Big east champion will not be ranked higher than 16th

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
A 1 loss TCU probably wont make a BCS bowl but does have an outside chance at a Fiesta invite, considering that the B12 will probably be sending their #2 team and TCU would be a nice draw.

A one loss TCU would make the BCS (most likely Sugar) because we'd be the highest nonAQ school in that case, having knocked off Boise. Doubtful Houston, even undefeated, passes us at this point.

West Coast Johnny

the Big East needs USF to win out (we will play in the Orange bowl against an ACC team...very good shot at winning it)
WVU to win every game except USF (with losses against LSU and an undefeated USF, they will still be top 15)
TCU to win out and beat Boise. That should have you within top 12 or possible top 10. A 1 loss TCU probably wont make a BCS bowl but does have an outside chance at a Fiesta invite, considering that the B12 will probably be sending their #2 team and TCU would be a nice draw.

three teams in the top 15 will send a message...and yes, all those points will be assigned to the BE even though your in the MWC right now.

btw, if you did get a fiesta bid an then win the BE in 2012 (which of course I dont want you to since USF will win it ) then that means you would have gone to the Rose Bowl in 2010, Fiesta Bowl in 2011 and Orange Bowl in 2012. I dont think any team has done that.

Your posts usually include a gerrymandering loby to exclude University of Central Floriday. You are part of the problem.

mtmedlin

Under this hypothetical scenario you've created, which nonAQ school do you see being ranked higher than us to take away our autobid under the rules? The top ranked nonAQ Is automatically in if ranked in the top 12 (or 16 if an AQ champ is lower).

I just dont trust pollsters. I can see many ways that they would do anything possible to promote other conferences over you. I have no doubt they can rig things to leave you at 13...hope not.

West Texas Frog

Forget about the big 111111111111-3

It is all about the Big East and making it survive!

Time to be proactive!

The MWC and CUSA are talking merge to get a bcs bid. That is every bit as much of a threat as losing any other Big East schools to the ACC or whomever. The Big East needs to go for three of the best out of CUSA (East Carolina, Central Florida and Houston) along with getting Boise St. out of the MWC and finish up by getting Navy to join. That would be bring the conference to 12 schools.

Getting C. Florida and Houston adds big TV markets that networks always love. TCU and USF will have to forget about being the only representative from Texas and Florida in the Big East, as this is about survival.

I will not bore you guys with other arguments for bringing in the five schools listed, but they all have good to excellent pedigrees in football right now. No need to mention other sports because this is strictly in retaining an auto bcs bid.

If the Big East is not able to get Navy (can't imagine why not), then get Temple to join. Temple has a great basketball program, but football has made a resurrection the last couple of years. Also brings the Philadelphia TV market.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
I just dont trust pollsters. I can see many ways that they would do anything possible to promote other conferences over you. I have no doubt they can rig things to leave you at 13...hope not.

Doubtful. As I said, only Houston would be an issue, and nobody has any reason to promote them over TCU. TCU also has the credibility that UH lacks. As for hitting a glass ceiling at 13, that lacks historical context. A 2 loss TCU in in 2008 finished 11th. And it would also depend on all the AQ conferences crowning a champion that finishes above TCU. Right now the ACC only has 1 team above us (VT at 11). otherwise, the threshhold is 16.

It's all a moot point if we don't beat Boise.