• The KillerFrogs

Louisville Courier-Journal: NCAA should think twice about new direction

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
ncaabuck-300x125.jpg

by Eric Crawford

The meetings that NCAA President Mark Emmert has called with 50 or so university presidents this week in Indianapolis has been billed as a closed door discussion, but many of its presumed talking points already have been in wide debate for months.

At issue is whether the NCAA will change its fundamental principle of amateurism in favor of measures that will allow its richest programs to pick up the pace on athletic spending and create more of a gap with those programs who are not part of the "haves."

ESPN is promoting a two-day round table discussion of these issues with a number of personalities, from its own commentators to athletic directors to coaches, but it was a comment made by former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese in its preview segment that struck the greatest chord with me. Tranghese told the panel that already, in college basketball, every elite player comes to his school through some kind of middle man. Every one of them. And that if they didn't address football soon, the same would be true there. I suspect in large part it already may be. ...

Texas Otto

ncaabuck-300x125.jpg

by Eric Crawford

The meetings that NCAA President Mark Emmert has called with 50 or so university presidents this week in Indianapolis has been billed as a closed door discussion, but many of its presumed talking points already have been in wide debate for months.

At issue is whether the NCAA will change its fundamental principle of amateurism in favor of measures that will allow its richest programs to pick up the pace on athletic spending and create more of a gap with those programs who are not part of the "haves."

ESPN is promoting a two-day round table discussion of these issues with a number of personalities, from its own commentators to athletic directors to coaches, but it was a comment made by former Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese in its preview segment that struck the greatest chord with me. Tranghese told the panel that already, in college basketball, every elite player comes to his school through some kind of middle man. Every one of them. And that if they didn't address football soon, the same would be true there. I suspect in large part it already may be. ...

This is a very slippery slope IMHO!

Kaiser

espn is causing most of this mess, all they give a crap about is profit, they could care less about even playing fields!

+1000

ESPN is really pushing hard for an end to amateur athletics. There is nothing that would disgust me more than pay for play. If they do that they might as well start paying the players at the big Texas High School programs.

Stiff Arm Frog

OK, Mr. Athletic Director, you have a choice; Pay your players? Or take them for free?

My guess is that nothing will change.

A gross oversimplification of the situation. If the Big10 bullies the rest of the conferences into doing this, it will ruin college athletics. They will never be the same again.

asleep003

NCAA rules are fine the way they are for Student athletes financial remuneration.

a) they get a 4-5 year education at an institution of higher learning paid for.
b) they get full room and board.
c) Get $17,000 in cash annually(which includes $300 weekly spending allow).

Don't get the controversy.

Cheers !

57Frog

IRS can stop pay for play . Just take away their tax exempt status.
Then the administration will think it's awful .