• The KillerFrogs

Louisville Courier-Journal: Fix big four before expanding

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Louisville Courier-Journal: Fix big four before expanding

By Rick Bozich • Louisville Courier-Journal

Never mind TCU, Central Florida, Villanova, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Mean Machine and other programs that have been nominated as recruits that can make Big East football healthy again.

I've got the list of schools that matter for long-term Big East relevance:

Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.

If those four programs resume playing as vibrantly as they have shown they can, the howling will stop about the state of Big East football.

And the state of Big East football is historically awful. There's no disguising that.

The Big East is absent from the Bowl Championship Series Top 25 for the third consecutive week.

The Big East is chasing history: ...

FROGDADDY

Never mind TCU, Central Florida, Villanova, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Mean Machine and other programs that have been nominated as recruits that can make Big East football healthy again.

Would be freaking awesome if the BE could get the Mean Machine.

Cougar/Frog

None of those programs would energize the Big East as much as the return of truly formidable programs at Pittsburgh, West Virginia, U of L and Cincinnati.

While the Big East has problems because its best teams are down, I have real problem including Cincy in the list. Cincy had ZERO football credibility before it came to the Big East and the conference was so down that Kelly could win in easily and then move on before the wheels came off the bus. Syracuse has more tradition and more upside right now and USF might finally become a good team for the first time. I fully expect Cincy to return to being a basketball school for the next 5 to 7 years and joining Rutgers at the bottom of the conference.

macaroni

He doesn't want them to expand because it will "dilute" a good basketball league? Fine, then stop playing football. Give up your completely undeserved AQ status and go play basketball.

LVfrog

Yes, the big four needs to right their ship but it won't be easy for any of them to do it. Maybe what these guys need is to be bashed around by the Frogs for 2-3 years and then they might have the impetus to fix what's wrong with their respective programs. If not, let them run off and worry about being a one trick pony league.

macaroni

Yes, the big four needs to right their ship but it won't be easy for any of them to do it. Maybe what these guys need is to be bashed around by the Frogs for 2-3 years and then they might have the impetus to fix what's wrong with their respective programs. If not, let them run off and worry about being a one trick pony league.

It's simple really, the Big East doesn't need to expand, it just needs to play better football. I'm sure the league bigwigs never thought of that, and they will be very grateful for this guy's input.

ShreveFrog

Jacksonville Jaguars = NFL team
Mean Machine = prison team from The Longest Yard (not sure if Paul Crew still has eligibility)

He's being sarcastic.

OK, good, so not the Jacksonville Jaguars of Jacksonville, Texas. Relieved. I'm all in for the BE now! lol Thx, Frogdaddy. (I forgot about the movie.)

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Maybe they just need to concentrate on basketball and give their autobid to a more deserving conference? Maybe they need to get rid of the spare basketball only teams?

MBAFrog

Tier 1
Just curious... not suggesting this would even occur, but would you rather be in the Big East or ACC or Mountain West (IF it had a BCS Bid)?

Cougar/Frog

I think TCU will do for the Big East what TCU did for the MWC. The MWC was shocked when TCU joined in 2005 and brought speed into the conference like had never been seen. TCU forced the rest of the conference to greatly elevate its game, helping the conference to do so well over the last few years and gain national respect.

Now WV and Pitt like to think they play defense and have speed. Even USF thinks it plays defense. I think TCU would come in and show them the difference between a good team and a top tier team.

Waccy Frog

While I shake my head at typical Cincy nad Louisville arrogance about there rightful place in the world, I think the author is right. The Big East needs its bet programs to turn themselves around. But I would put Syracuse at the top of the list, and it looks like they are headed in the right direction, as does Louisville.

Big Least needs to add football teams get to 12 then have a champoinship game. THe extra week and game is what vaults the winnder into Title Game see SEC championship game. I still can't believe Big 12 minus 2 hasn't figured this out, but they don't want the game? All other real leagues are moving to this format even Pac 10 which let's the best team host the game.