• The KillerFrogs

Lincoln Riley to USC

froginaustin

My understanding is that the pilot is the aircraft commander. Certainly, if he says "no" to takeoff, they are not going to crash later. Dad always said that landings are mandatory, but takeoffs are optional.

Your dad may be wise, but he may not work for an aircraft owner that will get a new aircraft commander post haste if the pilot refuses to fly when the boss says fly. There are bosses like that out there. And pilots that will explain the risk and then take the risk if the boss still says go. May especially if the pilot is a combat veteran.
One of my father's best friends was a fellow WW2 pilot, and then a corporate pilot. The friend's boss had to go from East Texas to Denver to meet a very important customer (and also to ski). They attempted to get across a winter-time cold front in a King Air, and didn't make it. Most of the company's sales force as well as the boss and the pilot were lost. The legacy company didn't make it more than about 10 more years. Sad.
The boss was president of my high school class. Great at sales in high school and later, but never invited to the National Honor Society.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Your dad may be wise, but he may not work for an aircraft owner that will get a new aircraft commander post haste if the pilot refuses to fly when the boss says fly.
He worked for the US Air Force, and when an aircraft commander says no, they are staying on the ground. Not a of people remember this, but the Air Force had a policy which was scrapped in the early 50s wherein all pilots had a "card" which prevented them from flying based on weather and their experience. If you card was not rated for heavy weather, there wasn't even a question...you were staying on the ground. With the advent of the "All weather Air Force," the colored cards went away and all piots were trained up to the highest level.

OIP.GfnaxFXedABrGJGDKP-hOwHaHa