• The KillerFrogs

Let's throw this scenario out there . . .

HUT-Frog

If it is true that Baylor is included in today's discussions with UT, A&M and Tech . . .

1 -- It is odd that the Pac 10 issued to Colorado first. Not a linchpin at all, but a definite sign to the Texas Legislature to stick it.

2 -- Including BU in today's meeting would indicate that UT and A&M would be seriously considering finding a solution to keep Baylor in the mix. Maybe that is the result of the Legislature response.

3 -- The Utah/BYU option is always there for the Big XII to replace Nebraska and Colorado.

4 -- Another option is BYU/Memphis. The problem for Memphis is the recent academic scandal, on top of its past academic reputation. Memphis would be the basic equivalent of CU in football, but bringing the Liberty Bowl with it. BYU would be the basic equivalent of Nebraska in football.

5 -- Using the BYU/Memphis scenario, if Utah is a problem, they could be brought into the North, and TCU or Houston would be the most logical choice in the South, making a 14-team conference.

That kind of conference would not draw the $17-20M a year in TV revenue that the SEC and the Pac 10 draw, but with FOX jumping into the bidding it is likely that it would go up over the current $8-10M over what the Big XII draws now. The conference could create a network, and if it had to it could even allow UT to do its own, too.

Reaching, but something seems amiss to me that there are meetings that include BU and that the Pac 10 jumped for CU first.

dweller

The reason Colorado may have accepted the invite today is BECAUSE Baylor was invited to the meeting. If Colorado were worried about Texas pressure to replace them with Baylor, they just prempted it. Now UT and AM can say they tried but PAC 10 already tied their hands.

HUT-Frog

QUOTE(dweller @ Jun 10 2010, 02:17 PM) [snapback]574019[/snapback]
The reason Colorado may have accepted the invite today is BECAUSE Baylor was invited to the meeting. If Colorado were worried about Texas pressure to replace them with Baylor, they just prempted it. Now UT and AM can say they tried but PAC 10 already tied their hands.

Very possible. But if so, the Pac 10 took a big risk by officially inviting CU before UT and A&M were officially onboard.

Frog DJ

This explanation sounds reasonable to me.

Go Frogs!

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 03:12 PM) [snapback]574012[/snapback]
If it is true that Baylor is included in today's discussions with UT, A&M and Tech . . .

1 -- It is odd that the Pac 10 issued to Colorado first. Not a linchpin at all, but a definite sign to the Texas Legislature to stick it.

2 -- Including BU in today's meeting would indicate that UT and A&M would be seriously considering finding a solution to keep Baylor in the mix. Maybe that is the result of the Legislature response.

3 -- The Utah/BYU option is always there for the Big XII to replace Nebraska and Colorado.

4 -- Another option is BYU/Memphis. The problem for Memphis is the recent academic scandal, on top of its past academic reputation. Memphis would be the basic equivalent of CU in football, but bringing the Liberty Bowl with it. BYU would be the basic equivalent of Nebraska in football.

5 -- Using the BYU/Memphis scenario, if Utah is a problem, they could be brought into the North, and TCU or Houston would be the most logical choice in the South, making a 14-team conference.

That kind of conference would not draw the $17-20M a year in TV revenue that the SEC and the Pac 10 draw, but with FOX jumping into the bidding it is likely that it would go up over the current $8-10M over what the Big XII draws now. The conference could create a network, and if it had to it could even allow UT to do its own, too.

Reaching, but something seems amiss to me that there are meetings that include BU and that the Pac 10 jumped for CU first.

Baylor was invited to the second meeting, not the first. In the second meeting, Baylor will be informed that they're still in the Big XII. They will also be told that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are leaving the Big XII.

dweller

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 07:18 PM) [snapback]574021[/snapback]
Very possible. But if so, the Pac 10 took a big risk by officially inviting CU before UT and A&M were officially onboard.

I don't think there was much of a risk. I don't see how the Big 12 can survive since all the hype about schools wanting to bolt. What network is going to negotiate a big new TV contract with them when everyones knows that the money schools want to bolt at the fist opportunity?

HUT-Frog

QUOTE(dweller @ Jun 10 2010, 02:27 PM) [snapback]574040[/snapback]
I don't think there was much of a risk. I don't see how the Big 12 can survive since all the hype about schools wanting to bolt. What network is going to negotiate a big new TV contract with them when everyones knows that the money schools want to bolt at the fist opportunity?

FOX is apparently trying to become a big regular-season player. ESPN always wants to control all the inventory.

ACC and SEC deals are long term, into the 2020s. The Pac 11 will likely be the same. That should create a window of 10 years that a Big XII could logically exist.

Not saying it's likely, but the possibility is there.

The CU move is no suprise at all....there has been speculation on this for years, it is a perfect fit for CU. CU recruits heavily (all sports) out of CA, AZ, UT, etc. and has a western affiliation more than a mid west. While Denver is not a huge TV market, neither is ASU/WSU/ORst or UAZ. I would worry BYU could be a fit there as well (hopefully not) which would put a big dent in the MWC....my two cents...back to the salt mine