• The KillerFrogs

Lay off the Oline

Eight

I didn't really have a problem with the Kill hire. GMFP needs somebody who can tell him "no" that he respects.

I still don't get the Meacham re-hire. GMFP essentially ran him off, and then publicly humiliated him when Kansas came to town. I guess he felt sorry for him?

this is the part i just don't understand,

gary did the defensive equivalent of run the score up on doug at kansas and now he brings him back to fix the offense.

almost as hard to understand and supposedly having a run game based upon running the quarterback and continually running the only quarterback you have on the roster who has shown the ability to be effective in the passing game

Wexahu

This will be an unpopular post. I am not qualified to judge OL coaching, and maybe Anderson should be fired but just for review of Anderson’s years with the TCU OL

Anderson

1998 - Grad Asst OL on the Sun Bowl team

2014 - Following a 4-8 season in 2013 with maybe the worst OL play ever, Eddie Williamson retired and Anderson replaced him. As OL coach. 12-1 Peach Bowl team

2015 - Anderson OL coach. 11-2

2016 - OL coach 6-7

Thomsen

2017 - Anderson moved to IR -TE coach to make way for Thomsen. 11-3

2018 - Thomsen. 7-6

2019 - Thomsen 5-7

2020 - This year we can’t pass block for [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]. Again, not defending Anderson. Just think he’s been a long time whipping boy here. Also he was co- OC / RB coach on the Rose Bowl team but of course that was all Fuente. Also many believe Anderson never coached his OL’s, some GA who is no longer coaching gets the credit.

Much more blame IMO needs to go to the entire operation of the offense......scheme, ability to gameplan, adjust and add wrinkles, personnel usage, play-calling, all of it......but most of all scheme. I think defenses know pretty much what we are doing when the ball is snapped, and maybe more importantly, they know what we aren't going to do.

Keeping all the pieces in place and going out and getting a different O-line coach wouldn't accomplish diddly squat. The whole system needs to be blown up.

Mean Purple

This will be an unpopular post. I am not qualified to judge OL coaching, and maybe Anderson should be fired but just for review of Anderson’s years with the TCU OL

Anderson

2014 - Following a 4-8 season in 2013 with maybe the worst OL play ever, Eddie Williamson retired and Anderson replaced him. As OL coach. 12-1 Peach Bowl team

2016 - OL coach 6-7

Thomsen

2018 - Thomsen. 7-6

2019 - Thomsen 5-7

2020 - This year we can’t pass block for [ Cumbie’s red zone playcalling ]. Again, not defending Anderson. Just think he’s been a long time whipping boy here. Also he was co- OC / RB coach on the Rose Bowl team but of course that was all Fuente. Also many believe Anderson never coached his OL’s, some GA who is no longer coaching gets the credit.
or ... those stats go the wrong way the longer we keep him at a position.

Mean Purple

Much more blame IMO needs to go to the entire operation of the offense......scheme, ability to gameplan, adjust and add wrinkles, personnel usage, play-calling, all of it......but most of all scheme. I think defenses know pretty much what we are doing when the ball is snapped, and maybe more importantly, they know what we aren't going to do.

Keeping all the pieces in place and going out and getting a different O-line coach wouldn't accomplish diddly squat. The whole system needs to be blown up.
To be fair to the O-line coach, what you say is pretty much spot on. Opponents look at what we do and know they are fine with 3 man up front.
The play calls don't make a lot of sense half the time. When we find what works, Cumbie just starts calling the stuff that does not.
Play calling snuffs out a lot of our drives.

In other news, how bad is Texas' defense ...

JugbandFrog

Anderson

2016 - OL coach 6-7

Thomsen

2018 - Thomsen. 7-6

2019 - Thomsen 5-7

Is Savino still on the staff? He was a walk-on that GA’d during the good Thomsen years. He was a former student when I was a GA at TCU, and unfriended me the morning we needed to beat Baylor and I talked crap about our terrible offensive staff.

perhaps he was the “real” coach then.

Dogfrog

Is Savino still on the staff? He was a walk-on that GA’d during the good Thomsen years. He was a former student when I was a GA at TCU, and unfriended me the morning we needed to beat Baylor and I talked crap about our terrible offensive staff.

perhaps he was the “real” coach then.

IIRC it was a GA during the Peach Bowl period. No longer in coaching as of last check.

Froggish

A weak incoherent offensive scheme results in a bunch of position groups having very little understanding of their role in the scheme.

This program reeks of 3 OCs who can't agree on who they to be, and what they want to do. The only difference between this years offense and last years offense is the size of the playbook. Its just a bigger playbook with an equal amount of unrelated concepts.

Incidentally ever since we heard DMeacham was coming back I have been thinking about 1 thing. Meacham is an OK St grad and coached their for 8 years under Gundy and a lot of really good OCs. Since Meacham left there to go on his own P5 OC journey (Houston, TCU, Kansas, TCU again), Ok St has been through 4 different OCs. Somebody tell me why they've never tried to hire Doug? Hell they chose a D2 guy and a Princeton coach. I can tell you but nobody wants to hear it. DM isn't very good. I know this fan base is to busy being thankful he's not Sonny, and while I think he's an upgrade over Cumbie, he isn't the solution and he was frankly a dumb low hanging fruit hire. ...

Wexahu

To be fair to the O-line coach, what you say is pretty much spot on. Opponents look at what we do and know they are fine with 3 man up front.
The play calls don't make a lot of sense half the time. When we find what works, Cumbie just starts calling the stuff that does not.
Play calling snuffs out a lot of our drives.

In other news, how bad is Texas' defense ...

No doubt in my mind that on a not very low percentage of plays we run, the defense basically knows what we are doing. And I think defenses dictate what we do by showing certain looks.