• The KillerFrogs

Kevin Cron named to USA Today's All-USA Baseball squad

AEAfrog

Kevin Cron, C-RHP

Mountain Pointe (Phoenix)

6-5, 250

College/drafted: Signed with TCU/Drafted 92nd overall by Mariners

Numbers: Led team to state 5A title with state-record 27 homers. First-team All-USAplayer last year. Hit .560 with 65 RBI. On the mound was 8-1 with 2.26 ERA and 71 strikeouts in 65 innings. His older brother A.J. Cron of the University of Utah was drafted 17th overall by the Angels.

Favorite teacher: "Probably my baseball coach (Brandon Buck). I had him as a teacher my junior year. He was pretty influential."

First job: "I bus tables at a restaurant."

Best out pitch: "My fastball is my main go-to most of the time, but my slider is probably is my strikeout pitch."

Favorite home run: "Probably the quarterfinal game. I was pitching and I gave up a run in the first and then I came back and I hit one in the bottom of the first. It was probably the biggest of the year in terms of importance. The furthest that I've ever hit in my life the game before that at Phoenix Municipal Stadium."

Worst ride: "I've had the privilege of driving some nice ones. My car is a Nissan Altima. If anybody would give me grief it would be for driving my mom's minivan."

Season highlight: "We had a walk-off win in the bottom of the eighth to win the state championship, so that was easily the highlight. Basically running out and dog piling with the guys, that was awesome. It was a good way to go out with a bang."

Favorite musician: "I'm a country guy and I like the Zac Brown band a lot."

When not playing baseball, I'm: "Playing Xbox and hanging out with my girlfriend and friends or golfingnow and then."

Hidden talent: "I'm probably a lot smarter than people know. I finished 16th in my class of 550 in my class, and I'm off the charts in math, which most people wouldn't expect from an athlete."

Baseball influences: "Growing up, that's all my brother and I ever did was hang out on the field with my dad (Chris, a minor league manager). We got to sit there and talk to his players and his coaches. We were 5 and 8, listening to the same thing he was telling minor league players. You get it imprinted in your brain. Having that bond with my brother and my dad has definitely done wonders."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/baseball/2011-all-usa.htm

Several other area athletes were named to the team as well.