• The KillerFrogs

Keenum applying for a medical redshirt

AEAfrog

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/houston/7242077.html

Houston Cougars quarterback Case Keenum has decided to petition the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility.

UH is putting together the necessary paperwork to file an appeal on Keenum’s behalf to obtain a medical waiver to play in 2011.

Keenum, a fifth-year senior from Abilene, is fifth on the NCAA career passing yardage list (13,587). He suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate in his right knee during a 31-13 defeat against UCLA in the third game.

I get players applying for a medical redshirt if they're younger, but, as a fifth year senior, wouldn't it make more sense to move on and try your hand at the NFL? I guess he might improve his draft status with the extra season/recovery time, but he could also get injured again and drop even further. The article also mentions the potential lockout as a possible motivation to wait it out another year. I'm no expert on Keenum's NFL prospects, just seems like an odd decision to me.

gdu

This doesn't prevent him from going to the NFL next year as far as I know, but maybe he hasn't gotten good feedback there. I'm not surprised by this move in the least.

AEAfrog

This doesn't prevent him from going to the NFL next year as far as I know, but maybe he hasn't gotten good feedback there. I'm not surprised by this move in the least.

I don't think it precludes it by any means. It just seems like he's accomplished everything he can at UH and should move on to something new. Just my two cents.

rynosdad

Good luck with that! His bio says he sat out 2006 as a redshirt - unless he has a waiver in his pocket for that year he has no chance. I do hope he heals up and gets a shot at the NFL though.

AEAfrog

Good luck with that! His bio says he sat out 2006 as a redshirt - unless he has a waiver in his pocket for that year he has no chance. I do hope he heals up and gets a shot at the NFL though.

Medical redshirts fall into a different category.

Big Frog II

If he wants to be granted his sixth year, he needs to make sure he writes either UT or OU in the college attended space. Otherwise, he has no chance.