• The KillerFrogs

JJ Henry makes cut in US Open

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Although today's round isn't officially completed, the projected cut is +4. So JJ should be playing this weekend. Yeah, so McIlroy has a lock, but he's melted down before.... I'm just glad JJ gets to play and hopefully make some $$$. Go Frogs!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Since my first post got such an enthusiastic response, I thought I'd finish the rest of the story.
Good news - JJ tied Phil Mickelson. Bad news - they finished +7. Earned a big $21,000. Better than a poke in the eye, I guess. :wink:
Rory was amazing.

Since my first post got such an enthusiastic response, I thought I'd finish the rest of the story.
Good news - JJ tied Phil Mickelson. Bad news - they finished +7. Earned a big $21,000. Better than a poke in the eye, I guess. :wink:
Rory was amazing.

He only earned $21K for four days of work? How will he eat?!? :biggrin:

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Well, let's see - he made over $1 million last year and is already over $700,000 this year. I guess he can eat whatever he wants. :tongue:

TCU2002

I would guess that 21K covers his expenses for the week, but not much more. Professional golf is an expensive life, considering all the time on the road (lodging and meal expenses), paying coaches and trainers, agents, caddies, investing in equipment (or is that part comped by sponsors?)

A comfortable existence, to be sure, but doubt he'd get rich if he only pulled in 21K per tournament considering what he probably is paying out just to be in the game.

InterestedObserver

I don't know JJ's particular situation, but travel expenses aren't as much as you think. They get good deals on hotels and airfare, tournaments feed them every meal, they get provided a courtesy car, and the companies are handing out equipment like candy. The sponsorship money isn't what it was a few years ago, but in many cases it covers travel expenses. Of course, that's assuming that a player isn't flying private and staying in five-star hotels every week, though the guys doing that have more sponsorship money.

Figure that to finish in the top 125 (retain Tour card), you need to make about $800,000. That provides for a pretty good life from a financial standpoint.

That being said, it's rough on those guys trying to raise families. They're gone from home 30+ weeks per year which has to be tough when the kids get too old to travel.

In JJ's case with over $11 million in career earnings, I doubt he's having trouble putting food on the table. Lots of money out there on Tour.

If a guy made $21k per week, he'd make between $600 and 700k per year. More than enough to be comfortable, but not enough to keep his job.

I would guess that 21K covers his expenses for the week, but not much more. Professional golf is an expensive life, considering all the time on the road (lodging and meal expenses), paying coaches and trainers, agents, caddies, investing in equipment (or is that part comped by sponsors?)

A comfortable existence, to be sure, but doubt he'd get rich if he only pulled in 21K per tournament considering what he probably is paying out just to be in the game.

JJ's expenses for the year are more than likely covered by his endorsement deals and appearance fees for corporate events -- or at least the majority of those expenses.

His average winnings per tournament are about $40,000.