• The KillerFrogs

It begins - Carrington to Arizona State

NewFrogFan

Lots of rumbling around Riley and the OC job at A&M. He and Gillespie are floating in HC rumor mill too. Recruiting, staff changes and the playoffs will make for an uncertain next few weeks.
I predicted that GR name would pop up there! I think there is a Dragon coach that can coach a little offense “out there”.

I predicted that GR name would pop up there! I think there is a Dragon coach that can coach a little offense “out there”.
It's mostly been A&M geared outlets and then some people connecting the dots out there on social. But regardless of A&M there are certainly going to be plenty of Riley connections with other jobs over the next few weeks. Flip side of having so much success this year so at least we are the beneficiary of that!

NewFrogFan

It's mostly been A&M geared outlets and then some people connecting the dots out there on social. But regardless of A&M there are certainly going to be plenty of Riley connections with other jobs over the next few weeks. Flip side of having so much success this year so at least we are the beneficiary of that!
To me a major foul to come after coaches in the middle of prep for games at this level!

illini_frog

interesting bio and i would love to hear the story behind the jump from his last high school job to pullman of all places

curious if sonny splits the duties carrington was handling with a large amount of the social media contact and then the recruiting side

Great dude, know him from my time as a high school coach around DFW. Would be a slam dunk hire

Eight

a number of sites value traffic over accuracy and they don't really have good sources. especially for the large schools where you have multiple sites fighting over alums/fan eyeballs

way, way too much i think a good guy would be instead of an actual source telling them that they have contacted.....

that is why you can trust of all the news you don't get here, not really any other free tcu site to be trusted unless you are chatting with lvh on reddit between his suspensions

Eight

Disagree. I think this is more a classic case of a guy perfectly suited for the college game and not at all for the NFL.

agreed, you are talking a guy with 3-4 years of college coaching experience who as we have said before the primary skill is recruiting

you really don't do much of that in the nfl, but he was given the shot, took it, and has landed on his feet.

time for sonny to make another good hire to replace carrington

Eight

But if your eyes are wandering elsewhere are you really the perfect mate? ;)

sonny knew what he was when he hired him and that is a young, ambitious guy with ties to parts of the metroplex through his dad

every sales force needs foot soldiers and that is what carrington and samples were for tcu. they did a damn good job and they are on to the next job.

Wexahu

Pretty much everyone in the coaching business has wandering eyes until they get the head job at a big time program.
The fact that assistants do so much of the recruiting is such a strange dynamic. The odds of any of the assistants being around in two years is probably 50/50 at best. And recruiting is supposedly all about relationships.

Ron Swanson

Not really worried about Garret Riley taking another job this year. It’s possible it could happen, but I don’t see him taking a different OC role, and most good HC jobs will probably want to see more than 1 year at TCU as OC.

He could probably get some [ Finebaum ]ty little HC job if he wanted to go that route, but if I was him I’d stay here for a couple years, learn as much as I can about coaching from Sonny, and then take your shot as HC at a solid program.

What worries me very very little is the fact that he has appeared on lists for the OC opening at TAMU. I mean it’s possible he could go, I don’t know the guy personally, but that opening just doesn’t really seem like a good move.

McFroggin

Not really worried about Garret Riley taking another job this year. It’s possible it could happen, but I don’t see him taking a different OC role, and most good HC jobs will probably want to see more than 1 year at TCU as OC.

He could probably get some [ Finebaum ]ty little HC job if he wanted to go that route, but if I was him I’d stay here for a couple years, learn as much as I can about coaching from Sonny, and then take your shot as HC at a solid program.

What worries me very very little is the fact that he has appeared on lists for the OC opening at TAMU. I mean it’s possible he could go, I don’t know the guy personally, but that opening just doesn’t really seem like a good move.

The problem: GR is currently hot on the OC market. He is losing Max, Miller, and QJ. Next year will be a year to really demonstrate skill at the OC position. 2 years in a row with HUGE success with different personnel would light his career up. He would have HC jobs to choose from. If next year doesn’t live up, his stock falls.

If I’m GR, I’m going to thoroughly assess who steps up for TCU player-wise and whether I think those pieces could be great. If GR leaves now, it’s likely a sign that next year will be quite tough for us.