• The KillerFrogs

Interesting thoughts from UCONN board on TCU BB

Frog89

Wasn't it Dan Jenkins who said "TCU will win the Big East in football just about every year, but I may not be alive to watch them win their first BE basketball game" ? Whoever said it, funny and a little true. Probably a little over stated on both counts. I think we'll improve in hoops. Problem is, BE is still going to tear us up... Looking to just be competitive first.. hopefully we get there sooner rather than later.

phony pony

One of them thinks our next BBall coach hire will be Rick Barnes... hahahaha. There's a better chance we hire Barry Switzer as new safeties coach then Barnes to replace JC

Zubaz

I was raised in Farmington, CT, and spent 15 years there outside of the 4 that was spent at TCU. This is pretty indicative of the attitude up there. They are ALLLLL about Basketball. When TCU joined the BE, all of my friends were like "Why would we take you guys? Do you even have a basketball team?" I told them about the football program, and their response was basically "Who cares about football?" Equal parts strong tradition and strong ignorance, but it is what it is.

Remember, LT was with the Chargers when they became a D-1A Football school. They say that they care, and to a certain extent they are proud of what they've accomplished, but it doesn't hold a candle to the way that Basketball is treated up there. We could win the football title every year and not get a lick of respect from them until we beat them at the Gampel Pavilion.

mtmedlin

FB pays the bills, even at these basketball focused programs. They might want to reevaluate their biases...

Have you ever checked out how much some of them make in basketball? Outside of the BE, have you ever heard of a regular season basketball game bringin in 30,000 fans? Remember, football costs alot. Yes it brings in alot...but it costs ALOT. Moving around a basktball team is alot cheaper and with the New BE contract for basktball being on the $5- $7 million side, plus Arena revenue, many of them will clear more after expenses then what football schools will make.

... I looked some of it up
Cuse MADE 9 million off of $16 million in revenue
LVille made about $17 million on revenue of $25 million
Pitt made almost $6 million
WVU made 3.5

phony pony

Have you ever checked out how much some of them make in basketball? Outside of the BE, have you ever heard of a regular season basketball game bringin in 30,000 fans? Remember, football costs alot. Yes it brings in alot...but it costs ALOT. Moving around a basktball team is alot cheaper and with the New BE contract for basktball being on the $5- $7 million side, plus Arena revenue, many of them will clear more after expenses then what football schools will make.

listen fake u boy the Big East finished 4th in basketball attendance last year, got that? That ain't first, second, or even 3rd dog... and further insight for ya is that Mountain West had the same number of basketball teams in top 25 attendance as Big East last year: 3. So yes, Syracuse brings in 30k once a season but avg is only 22k, which means they're combined football/basketball avg probably barely hits 45k. Hallowed UCONN must not be gushing gate revenue considering they don't even make top 25 attendance, so no need to come blabbering about on here regarding the imaginary nation of big east basketball fanatics... 4th place

boonecountyman

listen fake u boy the Big East finished 4th in basketball attendance last year, got that? That ain't first, second, or even 3rd dog... and further insight for ya is that Mountain West had the same number of basketball teams in top 25 attendance as Big East last year: 3. So yes, Syracuse brings in 30k once a season but avg is only 22k, which means they're combined football/basketball avg probably barely hits 45k. Hallowed UCONN must not be gushing gate revenue considering they don't even make top 25 attendance, so no need to come blabbering about on here regarding the imaginary nation of big east basketball fanatics... 4th place

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2010/05/syracuse_once_again_no_2_in_nc.html
not sure if you are quoting attendance by conference or per game but this article says BE is #1 in total attendance and Suckuse #2 in per game attendance.